Tiger V-speeds?

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
I will finally (weather permitting) be getting my long anticipated checkout ride in a Tiger next week. After some folks commented that I may find it a little snug after getting used to the Skyhawk, I went to the airport to day to sit in the plane and see if I fit. I do fit, and it is snug, but Cathy, Sean and I will get along just fine. My arm is up against the cabin wall when I have the yoke fully to the rear, and the canopy gives me WAY less headroom than I am used to in the Skyhawk, But we'll adjust. It feels more like wrapping around you than climbing into it. The view out the front promises to be breathtaking.

Anyway, could someone pass along the v-speeds and maybe some suggested pattern speeds?

Joe Williams said:
I will finally (weather permitting) be getting my long anticipated checkout ride in a Tiger next week. After some folks commented that I may find it a little snug after getting used to the Skyhawk, I went to the airport to day to sit in the plane and see if I fit. I do fit, and it is snug, but Cathy, Sean and I will get along just fine. My arm is up against the cabin wall when I have the yoke fully to the rear, and the canopy gives me WAY less headroom than I am used to in the Skyhawk, But we'll adjust. It feels more like wrapping around you than climbing into it. The view out the front promises to be breathtaking.

Anyway, could someone pass along the v-speeds and maybe some suggested pattern speeds?

As always, Anthony is here with the scoop on the Tiger. Let's see Joe. First thing, the view on climbout and cruise is way different than in a Skyhwawk. Point the nose at the horizon and it will fly itself off the runway and climb at Vy or Vy plus 5 KIAS. Second, in cruise the plane flies nose down, with a breathtaking view. No panel to obstruct. You will feel like you are in a dive, but check your altimeter and VSI. If you fly with a Skyhwawk attitude you will be climbing....rapidly.

V Speeds in KIAS:

Vr: 55 - 60 KIAS
Vs: 56
Vso: 53
Vy: 90
Vx: 70
Vfe: 103
Va: 112
Vno: 142
Vne: 172
Vglide: 72

Pattern Speeds:

I enter the pattern at 100 KIAS, slowing down to 90 KIAS on downwind. The Tiger is slicker than the Skyhawk so plan ahead to enter the pattern and start slowing down at least three to five miles out. Abeam the numbers, drop power to 1500 RPM, slow to well within the white arc and drop 1/3 flaps. Turining base slow to 80 KIAS, and drop 2/3 of flaps, turning final slow to 70 -72 KIAS (depending on weight, drop 1 knot for every 100 lbs under gross). Drop full flaps. Over the fence you should be at 65 KIAS.

Look at the POH cruise numbers and power settings and LEAN on the ground and in cruise. You can get 140 knots TAS at 8,000 ft. on 10.8 GPH at 75% power at 2,700 RPM, yes full throttle, but due to your altitdue only 75% power! This altitude is really the minimum in CO, back in PA I know its different. My point is, use the POH and fly by the numbers, it will pay off in higher cruise speeds and lower fuel burn. (I know its a wet rental, but you won't foul the plugs)

P.S. I have never landed my Tiger with anything but full flaps in all conditions, except when practicing no flap landings.

Hope this helps. Enjoy! You'll never go back. :)

And one thing Tony didn't mention is a bottle of super glue for those en-route repairs to the wing panels! :) :) :)

Gary

Gary said:
And one thing Tony didn't mention is a bottle of super glue for those en-route repairs to the wing panels! :) :) :)

Gary

Gary.

I always keep my wing panels numbered.....for, for just, such an emergency. :)

QUOTE= I always keep my wing panels numbered.....for, for just, such an emergency. :)[/QUOTE]

Good idea! Always knew you were a pretty smart guy! Wasn't the glue called "Purple Haze" or something like that? I seem to have some distant vague recollection (or maybe its a flashback) of some other substance called Purple Haze. I'm sure it wasn't airplane glue.

Its really ugly here today,:mad: gusty, rainy and cool, not much to do than cruise the aviation web sites. Heard anything about the Tiger?

Gary

Gary said:
QUOTE= I always keep my wing panels numbered.....for, for just, such an emergency. :)

Good idea! Always knew you were a pretty smart guy! Wasn't the glue called "Purple Haze" or something like that? I seem to have some distant vague recollection (or maybe its a flashback) of some other substance called Purple Haze. I'm sure it wasn't airplane glue.

Its really ugly here today,:mad: gusty, rainy and cool, not much to do than cruise the aviation web sites. Heard anything about the Tiger?

Gary[/QUOTE]

Gary,

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine back in PA. He keeps complaining abpout the weather and that its too lousy to fly his V-tail Bonanza, which is pretty much all weather except KI as it gets. I told him not to look at the Denver weather and he said he already did and is sick and jealous about it (sunny and 70F here today, tomorrow and the next day, etc). If the Tiger wasn't in for annual, I'd be flying, instead I just put the top down on the Jeep and were going to go up in the moutains. :)

Purple Haze??? The planes weren't assembled by Jimmy Hendrix. :) Thank goodness as he was on drugs 24/7. In 1975 when the Tiger was first introduced a few planes had the "Purple Passion" glue, an American Cyanamid product. Very few had this glue which debonded pretty quickly. All still in service have been repaired for years, but if you're buying a 1975, you should check for the purple glue. The 1976 - 1979 planes and 1989 - 1993 planes were unaffected, and hopefully the new Tiger Aircraft is using something other than Elmers Glue.

I should know the outcome of the annual inspection by Wednesday as it just went in yesterday. Keep your fingers AND toes crossed!

OK Joe, just leave us all hanging. When is the checkout? Or do I have to come back to PA to get you into a Tiger?

Anthony said:
OK Joe, just leave us all hanging. When is the checkout? Or do I have to come back to PA to get you into a Tiger?

Sorry to keep you in suspense :) The checkout is supposed to be tomorrow morning, though the weather forecast isn't terribly encouraging. If we can't do it tomorrow, I'll schedule it for Saturday morning before we depart on our trip to Charleston.

Joe Williams said:
Sorry to keep you in suspense :) The checkout is supposed to be tomorrow morning, though the weather forecast isn't terribly encouraging. If we can't do it tomorrow, I'll schedule it for Saturday morning before we depart on our trip to Charleston.

OK. Now I can sleep better. We want a DETAILED report upon completion. :)

Back