Tiger still in for annual

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
Well its been a week now since I brought the Tiger in for its annual. The inspection phase is done, and the parts count is up to about $1,700 now. The four Lord engine mounts at $195 a piece has done most of the damage, but they are old and I've been noticing more vibrations lately. Lots of little stuff including mag rebuild and distributor replacement. A few new hoses here and there. New nosewheel tire. It all adds up but sounds necessary. Anyway, I should have the plane back next week.

Anthony said:
Well its been a week now since I brought the Tiger in for its annual. The inspection phase is done, and the parts count is up to about $1,700 now. The four Lord engine mounts at $195 a piece has done most of the damage, but they are old and I've been noticing more vibrations lately. Lots of little stuff including mag rebuild and distributor replacement. A few new hoses here and there. New nosewheel tire. It all adds up but sounds necessary. Anyway, I should have the plane back next week.
Anthony, the shop called. They said something about having to find a new spar ...

Ken Ibold said:
Anthony, the shop called. They said something about having to find a new spar ...
Ouch!!! :D

"Stress - the mental anguish created every time the phone rings while your plane is at the shop for an annual...is this call the good news 'You're plane's all ready and nothing more than already discussed.' or the bad news 'Uh, are you sitting down? We found a few more things that need to be addressed.'" :eek:

Ken Ibold said:

Ken, the ocean called, they're running out of shrimp. :) (line from Seinfeld when George was scarfing down shrimp)

Yeah, I'm basically on pins and needles every time the phone rings. Its the A&P, ahhh Anthony, ahhh, just wanted to let you know we found.......

They're done the inspection so hopefully they've "found" everything. Its just a matter of getting the parts and installing them.

Does $195 each for Lord mounts sound about right for a Tiger? Of course you gotta replace all four. :)

Anthony said:
Does $195 each for Lord mounts sound about right for a Tiger? Of course you gotta replace all four. :)
I have no idea which part numbers to check, but here's two quick references; looks like $100 to $300...

http://www.airsuppliers.com/aircraftparts/aviation-catalog/LORD-MOUNT-FOR_AIRCRAFT.asp
http://www.aeroperform.com/aircraftparts/aircraft-parts-catalog/LORD-----aircraft-parts.asp

However, like I tell my wife, once you've bought it, it's a little late to check prices! :p

Last edited:
gkainz said:
However, like I tell my wife, once you've bought it, it's a little late to check prices! :p

I guess I could always have them remove them and install the ones I made from old rubber shoe soles and chewing gum. :) Better yet, I've got four hockey pucks form the Flyers that could be used. They sure don't need 'em.

Anthony said:
Better yet, I've got four hockey pucks form the Flyers that could be used. They sure don't need 'em.
Hockey pucks.....hockey pucks.... oh yea, Hockey!!! That's that game they used to play on ice skating rinks before the lawyers got involved, right? I almost forgot!!!

To keep aircraft in peak operating condition, aircraft mechanics and service technicians perform scheduled maintenance make repairs, and complete inspections required by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). The determination of airworthiness during an inspection is a serious responsibility. For many general aviation aircraft, the annual inspection could be the only in-depth inspection it receives throughout the year.

The owner should be made aware that the annual or progressive inspection does not include correction of discrepancies or unairworthy items and that such maintenance will be additional to the inspection. A person authorized to perform maintenance if agreed on by the owner and holder of the IA may accomplish maintenance and repairs simultaneously with the inspection.

When a maintenance shop does business, it exposes itself to liability in three basic areas:

1. It can be liable for the improper conduct of repair and overhaul services that it makes. Including a vicarious liability for the negligence of subcontractors to whom it might send certain systems or assemblies for inspection or repair outside of the particular shop’s own facility.

2. May be liable for parts that he supplies and incorporates into the repairs or overhaul services that he provides.

3. Be liable for negligence maintenance inspection function. A problem cannot be repaired, properly or negligently, if it is not discovered during inspection.

What it all boils down to is if the A&P/IA does not do a good job they are open to being sued if the aircraft has an incident or incident. Mechanics in some cases are called upon to make a judgment call on parts and like most I side on being conservative in the judgment call. Aircraft parts is the biggest area where mechanics have liability. Mechanics make this call based on the term airworthy.

Definition of the Term “Airworthy”

1) The aircraft must conform to its type certificate. Part 21.41.

a. When aircraft configuration and the components installed are consistent with drawings, specifications, and other data that are part of the type certificate (T/C), and include any supplemental T/C and field approval alterations incorporated into the aircraft.

2) The aircraft must be in condition for safe operation. Part 43.15.

a. Aircraft relative to wear and deterioration i.e., corrosion, fluid leaks, tire wear, window delimitation/crazing.

*** NOTE ***

If one or both of these conditions are not met, the aircraft would be considered unairworthy. Order 8130.2

Most inspection concern part 2 condition for safe operation or within the wear limits. Most if not all maintenance manuals call out the limits that mechanics must follow. So did the mechanic over charge you for your annual I would guess not. One man’s opinion.

Stache

Stache,

What's your point? I pretty much give my A&P carte blanche to do what he thinks is required with input from me and others I trust. Also, my Tiger gets regular maintenance throughout the year, so things get fixed when its needed, not just at annual.

Anthony said:

Uhh, that's pretty stiff markup.

I just bought a set of 4 for my Cherokee, which I beleive are the same part number that the tiger takes, Lord J-7402-24. They were $83 each from Spruce, or $135 each from a Piper dealer with the Piper part numbers on them.

I had the option of J-7402-16 at about $55 each, but the -24 has additional damping silicone fluid around the inside bushing.

Parts are the mechanics biggest enemy. Mechanics are held responsible for the certification of each part they install. You may find a part from some place cheaper, howeve if it is not PMA or TSO the mechanic can not install it. Many of the parts purchased from Spruce for example are not PMA or TSO that is why they cost less. Adding the FAA certification and the cost go up and so does the quality of the parts.

Stache

How about a "Z" heat rated .01uF disc capacitor across the terminals of the bimetallic 250 degree switch on a Janitrol heater? It's a Sprague Dawley part number, and can be had from many suppliers for $1.98.
But JanAero will not sell you the part. Only the whole switch in which the part is only under bakelite terminal strip screw terminals- for $800. I did that one one winter about four winters ago. The capacitor on the replacement says "Sprague Dawley "Z-.01uf".

Is this really forwarding safety? I can do a lot of real maintenence for that! Is this another "8 quarts or your in violation" deal again? Where has common sense gone....

"Whats my point."

I work with several small shops. And please don't take it the wrong way not point a finger, however there are those owners that tell the mechanic to make it airworthy at the annual. So the mechanic performs the inspection and fixes the small things which start to add up and up. In the end the owner shows up and finds a $2,000.00 or more bill for the inspection and repair costs.

Some owners take the aircaft and refuse to pay. The mechanic is out for labor and parts costs. This is when the FAA gets a telephpone call.

I am trying to provide information and knowledge to mechanics to sit down with the owners and go over their annual inspection checklist with the owners and explain what is required. Then sign a agreement with the owner on what is to be performed. Of course there will be items in some cases that will cost several hundreds of dollars. When this happens the mechanic should contact the owner, but this needs to be spelled out in the agreement.

Alot of mechanics I know do not explain the cost up front for parts. Some do. Some mechanics allow the owner to provide all the parts as long as they have certifications. Some shops will not allow this, but this needs to be discussed before work is started.

I thinks alot of owners do not fully understand the requirements mechanics work under and the liability they have. But if you know the mechanic and have full trust in them you will should not have any problems. The problems start when owners shop around for the lowest price on annual inspection. As an example if someone is offering a $200.00 annual a red flag should go up.

Not many aircraft I know will pass a $200.00 annaul. But there are several IA's willing to sign off aircaft without fully inspecting them. So owners are willing to take the risk with their lives over a $200.00 annual.

Here in California I know several A&P's that have been sued over maintenance and inspections. It is very sad that aviation has come to this, but I beleive it is the wave of the future.

I don't mean anything from my posting just passing on information I hope that may help someone.

Stache

larrysb said:
Uhh, that's pretty stiff markup.

I just bought a set of 4 for my Cherokee, which I beleive are the same part number that the tiger takes, Lord J-7402-24. They were $83 each from Spruce, or $135 each from a Piper dealer with the Piper part numbers on them.

I had the option of J-7402-16 at about $55 each, but the -24 has additional damping silicone fluid around the inside bushing.

Larry,

They may be different as Fletchair (Grumman parts guru) and whom I trust quoted me almost as much. I'm finding the price differential in Lord mounts for various applications is HUGE.

My AI of eleven years' relationship retired at 63 years old, last year. We held a party and wished Mike and Mary a happy retirement. We all miss Mike Fish up here in central IL. When I looked at the books (he was trying to sell the shop) he was taking a salary of $45,000 per year. No benes. No wonder he needed to retire. Five of us (all multi operators) drew up a business plan and agreed to put up the $$s to keep the two mechs on the field should no buyer be found.

A local attorney stiffed him on about $4,300 of repair work. A local businessman sued him for an improper ring job on a TSIO 520 in a C310. I'm not sure to this day that he was wrong (this same guy drove his 310 out of the hangar and chopped off the top 7" of the empennage, and flew to Waukesha. Four years later he accepted theshort runway, put the MU2 into beta before the nose was down and shoved the nosewheel right through the cabin floor. The pax got out and said they had paid for the ride.). Mike and I were so comfortable he would sometimes do unsolicited maintenence checks that he thought should be done (not called for, but made sense). I'd always pay him for these. He once called me and said "you should replace that right trunnion (Seneca II, repeat 50 hrs inspections). I grounded the a/c and ordered a new one.

The guys he finally sold to are the opposite. I asked for a 50 hour oil change. I expect that's about 4 hours of work, two $10.00 CH48108 filters and 16 quarts of oil It was $450. OK says, I, and paid the bill. What the new owner didn't tell me is that he had done unsolicited compressions (my fax says 100 hours- last one 50 hrs ago), found two low (heard it in the exhaust pipe) and wrote the grounding entry in the log. Still not a problem. Then I asked him to help me find a pair of Continental Factory jug kits. His answer "I'm too busy, I can't help you". Only FBO on the field.

Says I, "Tim, how long do you think you're gonna stay in business?" He did NOT offer to sign the ferry permit.

Never mind how I got it there, but two factory jugs were replaced by the guy 48 nm away.

You will not find too many fields where the pilots get together and spend $$s to keep the mech (beyond maintenance). But we're waiting for this current guy to fail.

And, guess what I found? At the 48 nm away field, seven multi operators from my home strip in the maintenence hangar. The CFI at my base quit. Took a loan, bought a C152 and is doing OK on his own. I sendhim all the SE stuff I can't do (I do IRs, multi transitions, etc). The FBO is selling its former fleet of training aircraft.

Yes parts are a mechanic's enemy. But sometimes the mechanic is the mechanic's worst enemy. This guy is a turkey.

Last edited:
In one message you say the annual, and the discrepancies are a separate issues.

In this last message you say

"Not many aircraft I know will pass a $200.00 annaul. But there are several IA's willing to sign off aircaft without fully inspecting them. So owners are willing to take the risk with their lives over a $200.00 annual."

What is a fare price for an annual inspection?

I was charging $350 for the inspection/Ad search, and giving a list of discrepancies to the owner. ( I do a complete servicing of the aircraft too)

And then working off the discrepancies at $25 per hour. (including the oil/filter change).

I was working off the tailgate of my truck at 76S and paying Liability insurance. but this year the renewal for insurance was $13k.

So now I quit doing annuals, dropped the insurance, and do only my own work restoring my projects. and will renew each march by attending the seminar at FSDO.

If this trend continues every one will be forced to go to the big FBO's and pay thru the nose for their maintenance.

Buy my opinion is they won't. they will just quit, and GA will turn into the rich boy toys the media thinks it is all ready.

Stache said:
... however there are those owners that tell the mechanic to make it airworthy at the annual. So the mechanic performs the inspection and fixes the small things which start to add up and up....

I still tell the story of how my business partner and I bought a BE58P (OK, some of you already know the end of this story just hearing "P-Baron"). We were so happy to be flying in the flight levels - 220 kts... very cool. Then, at the first annual, we took it to a Beechcraft center and told them (and I'm not making this up), "Fix whatever's broken. Call us when it's ready." Do I have stupid written all over my face?

Well, this was during the dot com boom and our little business was doing OK. We were in a hurry and flying in all kinds of weather, so we wanted it to be "right". Then the call came, just over $23,000 (and some change). "You can pick it up anytime."

What a couple of idiots. We negotiated the labor down until the bill was under $20K, but we didn't really have much room to gripe. Even when we spotted the travel brochures of Fiji on the desk, we wound up writing a big check. It's the last time either of us have been so divorced from the maintenance.

So, yes, I get Stache's point. We were pretty cool when we dropped the airplane off and pretty contrite when we had to write the check. Live and learn.

Chip

P.S. What kind of name is "Stache" for a government employee?????

Stache said:
"Whats my point."

So the mechanic performs the inspection and fixes the small things which start to add up and up. In the end the owner shows up and finds a $2,000.00 or more bill for the inspection and repair costs. Stache

$2000? That's CHEAP. I expect about $3,000 just for the inspection and whatever needs done. I have a yellow w/o every month for whatever shows up NOW. Maintenence expenses over the last five years: $75,000. AOG time: one trip.

Well, I think the only "wave of the future" is experimental. I'm not sure how you keep flying certified aircraft when even relatively simple parts like throttle cables cost $580 and the fbo owner has to gouge you to install it in order to pay for his insurance and liability exposure. Not to mention the outragous regulatory costs the A/C manufacturers are subject to. Maybe sport pilot is the answer for the regulation, but it wont help the tort problem.

As far as I'm concerned, aircraft ownership should be mandatory for anyone who works for the faa. That would go a long way towards fixing this mess damn quick.
Pete

Anthony said:
Larry,

They may be different as Fletchair (Grumman parts guru) and whom I trust quoted me almost as much. I'm finding the price differential in Lord mounts for various applications is HUGE.

Yes, different part numbers may be radically different in price. You may also be using mounts from Barry instead of Lord.

However, the Lord mount part number I mentioned is a qualified part number for a Tiger. But you might verify whether it is the part number for YOUR Tiger.

And yes, they are FAA/PMA, even if you get them from Spruce. No, not everything from Spruce is PMA'd or TSO'd, and they sell a lot of parts for experimentals. As a matter of fact, I just removed a Spruce vernier throttle control from my plane which was not legally installed. It is now replaced with a PMA'd throttle control from McFarlane, which is a way nicer control anyway, though 5 times the price of the clunky Spruce part.

But if you are having the mechanic order your parts, he is getting paid for research, finding the right part, ordering it, paying freight, receiving it and so on, so yeah, he's got a right to make a profit and it isn't that fat even if doubling the cost in the Spruce catalog.

But $195 each seems a bit stiff.

Anthony said:

At least, Anthony, you didn't get the call that I did last month:

"Umm. The prop shop called. They, umm, had to red tag your propeller, because the chord is too thin at three stations..."

So my $1,000 annual became a $4,000 annual :(

larrysb said:
Yes, different part numbers may be radically different in price. You may also be using mounts from Barry instead of Lord.

I checked, they are definetly Lord mounts. I got a quote for both Lord and Barry from FLetchair, and the Barry's were less expensive, but Fletchair doesn't recommend them as highly. I figure the next time these things get replaced will be at engine overhaul which I hope won't be for several years, so I went with the Lords.

Anthony said:
I checked, they are definetly Lord mounts. I got a quote for both Lord and Barry from FLetchair, and the Barry's were less expensive, but Fletchair doesn't recommend them as highly. I figure the next time these things get replaced will be at engine overhaul which I hope won't be for several years, so I went with the Lords.

Anthony,

Just shows what happens when you buy such a complex airplane as a Tiger. Next time buy something simple like a turbo'ed 300 HP RG. :D

Actually, I find that sometimes switching A&P's once in a while often finds something that the A&P who regularly works on the plane misses, simply because he is familiar with the plane. Of course, moving 2,000 miles kinda makes it necessary to do that...

Anthony:

Well hang in there, you gotta pay to play (local Philly custom). Still doesn't sound like a disaster. Things wear out and need to be replaced. Part of the difference is in maintaining the plane to the best condition possible and having a safe and secure plane verses the "that's good enough" attitude that is cheaper, but not good enough in my mind. Airplanes are sort of like shopping in the "Everything's a $100 Store".

Gary

Gary said:
Anthony:

Well hang in there, you gotta pay to play (local Philly custom). Still doesn't sound like a disaster. Things wear out and need to be replaced. Part of the difference is in maintaining the plane to the best condition possible and having a safe and secure plane verses the "that's good enough" attitude that is cheaper, but not good enough in my mind. Airplanes are sort of like shopping in the "Everything's a $100 Store".

Gary

As you know Gary, like you, I do not compromise on maintenance. There are things I could let go until later, but have decided to get done now on my mech's recommendation. You're right, its not a disaster, just normal stuff for a 27 year old airplane. Probably good that another shop with different sets of eyes works on the plane as Mark Shilling indicated. They seem like good folks and very thorough which is what I want. Ya can't just pull over if something goes wrong.

Bob. Sorry to hear about the prop, that's a big gotcha! Haven't received a call about the prop yet, but there's still time. :)

larrysb said:
Yes, different part numbers may be radically different in price.

the Fairchild folks were trying to get Lord to manufacture some Warner engine mounts, Lord said they would have to reverse engineer the manufacturing process. and it would be about 500 for each mount.

I had my engine mount off and while it was being powder coated, the mounts were on my bench, During that time I ordered 4 engine mounts for a 0-300-D/172.

Come to find out they are exactly the same mount. 50 bucks each from Spruce.

In case you belive my Fairchild had the wrong mount (like I did) I looked up the 1937 blue print for the warner mount, and it has the same number as the mount from Spruce, but my fairchild number in the parts book was different. and thatwas the number we were trying to get Lord to make.

Many of the Lord part numbers cross to several aircraft manufacturers part numbers. and Lord will sell the same mount for several prices.

Last edited:
What is a fare price for an annual inspection?”

This is a hard question to answer, as salaries are very different around the country. However some shops have a set price for the inspection only and charge separate for the repairs of item found. Having a set price for an annual is not a good idea as each aircraft is different and what is required.

When I had my shop I performed many “owner assisted” annuals. I would have the owner open all the inspection plates and remove cowling, seats, etc. I would perform the inspection and make a list of items to be repaired. I charged a flat rate of $30.00 per hour for the inspection of the aircraft and record check (AD search/inspection). This was several years ago today’s rate would be much higher. I would sit down with the owners and go over the squawks and again charged a flat rate to make repairs. The owner would reinstall items under my supervision, change the oil, clean plugs as preventive maintenance. Having the owner perform as many items they could in accordance with part 43 Appendix A really cut costs for the owners. Needless to say I had a very selected group of owners I did this with. I would not recommend doing this with every owner.

By biggest problem was the record search as most owners don’t keep very good records. It takes along time to build an appliance list to check for AD’s. I would build four AD lists airframe, engine, propeller, and appliance list. Most owners I known don’t have a complete list. I used to spend about 10 to 12 hours just performing a complete record inspection on an aircraft seen for the first time. Now with the aid of computer the time is cut way down. As an IA I was responsible for all things past and found lots of mistakes or missing items.

Here in California liability insurance is about $13,000 per year, which is a must. I too gave up my shop and worked out of a pick-up to cut costs. To protect myself I would only work on certain makes and models toward the end.

Stache

My guys folded in January for similar reasons. I don't like the looks of the future of older planes and maintenance.

Eric

Stache said:
When I had my shop I performed many “owner assisted” annuals. I would have the owner open all the inspection plates and remove cowling, seats, etc. I would perform the inspection and make a list of items to be repaired. I charged a flat rate of $30.00 per hour for the inspection of the aircraft and record check (AD search/inspection). This was several years ago today’s rate would be much higher. I would sit down with the owners and go over the squawks and again charged a flat rate to make repairs. The owner would reinstall items under my supervision, change the oil, clean plugs as preventive maintenance. Having the owner perform as many items they could in accordance with part 43 Appendix A really cut costs for the owners. Needless to say I had a very selected group of owners I did this with. I would not recommend doing this with every owner

Pretty much how my A&P and I have it worked out. After the inspection we have a list made up items I bring to the annual (I keep a list during the year and sometimes fix them before the annual and sometimes wait until the annual inspection) and items he has found during the inspection. We then look at the airworthiness items and do them, then we look at the other items that may become airworthiness items during the year and usually do those as well. Then the nice to have items (usually cosmetic or improvements to the airplane) get the last shot at the money.

Does help keep costs down, but more importantly, gets the pilot familiar with the plane.

Anthony said:
back next week.

From the A&P written test:

When the owner/pilot calls asking when his plane will be done you reply?

A. The manufacturer had to make a two part kit to go with the new throttle cable. The first kit should come in today and the secon later this week if they do then I'll have your plane back next week.

B. We sent the engine mount out to be checked and they found some cracks that they are going to weld, it should be back next week.

C. The firm that holds the STC for modern mixture, prop and thottle cables was blown away by a hurricane. I have the people at the manufactuer working on replacements. I should have something back from them next week.

D. Anything just make sure you say "next week" at the end.

:<)

Anthony,

It could be worse. :<)

For the Mooney, this week should be the last "next week".

Len

Len Lanetti said:
From the A&P written test:

It could be worse. :<)

For the Mooney, this week should be the last "next week".

Len

Sorry to hear that Len. And I hear the weather was beautiful in the east last weekend as opposed to here which was basically a whit out. I shoveled snow this morning in just my shirt, no hat, not gloves, so its melting fast. Prolly gone by Wednesday.

I expect to get the Tiger back "this week", but if not, whatever, I want the plane to be right. Fortunately all of the parts are common stuff they can get quickly and no STC's to worry about.

Let us know how the Mooney flies with the new engine. I bet you see another 5 knots in cruise and better climb.

Anthony,

I will report back as soon as I fly the new engine.

I did get to fly late last week. Ed Guthrie was kind enough to let me fly his M20J so as to knock off some of the rust from not flying. The visibility was good and no clouds to worry about. There was some wind as weather was approaching from the west.

Len

Stache said:
"Whats my point."
Some owners take the aircaft and refuse to pay. The mechanic is out for labor and parts costs. This is when the FAA gets a telephpone call.
Stache

This statement confuses me some. Who does the faa get a phone call from? The pilot or the repair facility. I would understand if the pilot was mad at the fbo not doing what he thought they should have done, but if it's coming from the fbo then the question would be why is the faa getting involved in a civil dispute?
Pete

I can only speak myself as a FAA Inspector and not all inspectors. Usually what happens is when a mechanic does not get paid for services rendered the mechanic in some, but not all cases will contact the local FSDO and say the aircraft is unairworthy for one reason or another. Where I work I want the mechanic to provide a written statement signed and dated as a formal compliant. If the aircraft is unairworthy that is something the FAA will discuss with the owner.

In other cases the owner takes the aircraft and finds something they beleive the mechanic should of found or did not fix correctly. The owner then refuses to pay the bill for any of the work the mechanic performed. The owner will contact the local FSDO saying the mechanic is all screwed up and will want the FAA do do something about it. Again I want a written, signed and dated letter of complaint.

The FAA investigates all complaints by either party. This involes looking at all the maintenance records and inspecting the aircraft. If either party makes a mistake the FAA Inspector will take that issue up with the party involved and take what ever action is required.

The reason the FAA gets involved is one party is upset and wants a pound of flesh and thinks the FAA will help get that for them. Sorry to say the FAA is not in the business of getting a pound of flesh for someone. I try and get the two parties to talk to each other and resolve the issue if possible. I find this is usually the best way to resolve a issue (talking it out).

The FAA gets involed when a civil dispute is filed and FAA documents are requested under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). If a FAA Inspector is requested to go to court in a civil issue we will turn it over to the Regional legal office. That is the short answer. I hope this answers your question.

Stache

Stache

Yep :) I had a conversation with a former owner of a colorado fbo. He said that the other fbo's on the field would call the faa on them regularly. The faa would come out and find no substance to the claim and the next week they'd be out there again. Something about the fbo not giving tow preference to a pre-existing glider club.....amazing, even the airfield manager was part of it.
Pete

Stache said:
I can only speak myself as a FAA Inspector and not all inspectors. Usually what happens is when a mechanic does not get paid for services rendered the mechanic in some, but not all cases will contact the local FSDO and say the aircraft is unairworthy for one reason or another. Where I work I want the mechanic to provide a written statement signed and dated as a formal compliant. If the aircraft is unairworthy that is something the FAA will discuss with the owner.

In other cases the owner takes the aircraft and finds something they beleive the mechanic should of found or did not fix correctly. The owner then refuses to pay the bill for any of the work the mechanic performed. The owner will contact the local FSDO saying the mechanic is all screwed up and will want the FAA do do something about it. Again I want a written, signed and dated letter of complaint.

The FAA investigates all complaints by either party. This involes looking at all the maintenance records and inspecting the aircraft. If either party makes a mistake the FAA Inspector will take that issue up with the party involved and take what ever action is required.

The reason the FAA gets involved is one party is upset and wants a pound of flesh and thinks the FAA will help get that for them. Sorry to say the FAA is not in the business of getting a pound of flesh for someone. I try and get the two parties to talk to each other and resolve the issue if possible. I find this is usually the best way to resolve a issue (talking it out).

The FAA gets involed when a civil dispute is filed and FAA documents are requested under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). If a FAA Inspector is requested to go to court in a civil issue we will turn it over to the Regional legal office. That is the short answer. I hope this answers your question.

Stache

Stache

Back