Tiedowns for Rent. 2013?

bjohnsonmn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
bjohnsonmn
Hey Folks,
The count down is on, and we are all diligently working through our pre departure check lists. I hit a snag on mine. I have not been able to find any info on renting tie-downs this year.

Any solid, non speculative, information?

Safe Flying!
B

Why don't you just buy them? Not sure why you'd rent something that costs so little.

The aircraft registration will give you a tie down set (some T-shaped rebar) for a nominal deposit ($15 or something, which you get $10 back if you return them).

I always bring my own. My current favorites are the Storm Force ones, but I have a set of claws as well. Alternatively you can go to the local home center and get some swingset tie downs for $20. These are identical to the set that Sporty's sells except you get four rather than 3 (I envision some low level employee at Sporty's sitting around all day opening sets of 4 swing set anchors and reboxing them in sets of 3 and marking up the price).

Why don't you just buy them? Not sure why you'd rent something that costs so little.

Same reason pilots ***** about a $5 overnight fee.

Spend $6,839 at Oshkosh, but the big worry is about saving $10.

I bought one of those a decade ago and I still use it. Thing has kept my aircraft tied down through some helacious thunderstorms.

Ill probably buy a set from the welcoming crew. Does $20 come with ropes too? I am using a rental for this trip.

Three bridge spikes (LONG nails), four links of proof chain, and a rope. That's all it takes. Full article in Kitplanes January 2013. If anybody has a place to post the article I'll send you the copy AND full hi-res photos.

Jim

Ill probably buy a set from the welcoming crew. Does $20 come with ropes too? I am using a rental for this trip.

Mike, These are tie downs for your airplane. If you are traveling CC your should have tie downs with you. This is not rocket science.

Mike, These are tie downs for your airplane. If you are traveling CC your should have tie downs with you. This is not rocket science.

We have tiedowns, but taking a rental on this trip so leaving them with the plane. I always bring ropes, just trying to figure out the stakes. May put together a home depot set.

Three bridge spikes (LONG nails), four links of proof chain, and a rope. That's all it takes. Full article in Kitplanes January 2013. If anybody has a place to post the article I'll send you the copy AND full hi-res photos.

Jim

I would be curious to see it. Pdf or jpeg?

Whoa... I certainly spiked a conversation!
I don't have them today, and need them for the trip. I am in a club, and I believe our overnight kits are all checked out right now for others on long distance CC's (We have 2XC172, 2XC182, and 2XC210, its a busy club!).
I'd be open to buying some, but I'd love some deal from a vendor in OSH.
I've got ropes I bring to tie down to TD Rings as I usually do a pre-trip check to see what is available at the fields I am flying to.
Good tips on the construction, but I usually don't have to worry about finding a spare set.

Thanks for the tips!!! I'll bring a $20

I've got ropes I bring to tie down to TD Rings as I usually do a pre-trip check to see what is available at the fields I am flying to.
Good tips on the construction, but I usually don't have to worry about finding a spare set.

Thanks for the tips!!! I'll bring a $20

No time to post. Go down to the aviation department of True Value Hardware. Find what they call Bridge Spikes (or use the trade name of "Big M8%#r F^@&!#g Nails"). Get the largest and longest they have. In general they'll be about 3/16" diameter and 12" long. Get 3 Spikes per tiedown. Go over to the chain section. Find the smallest proof chain the Spikes will fit through. Have them cut four links per tiedown. Go to the junk tools counter. Buy a METAL FORGED hammer (no wood). Put this all into a small nylon carry bag meant for tent poles or similar.

Go back to True Value. Get three pieces of 3/8" plywood as large as will slide under the back seat. Put these pieces under one half of the back seat. Put the Spike assemblies under the other.

When you get to OSH, don't push your airplane ALL the way back, stop about 12" short. Put the plywood under the backs of the wheels. Push the airplane wheels onto the plywood. Chock the wheels to keep the wheels onto the plywood.

Start with one wing tiedown. Push the Spike through one link of the chain. Pound the Spike into the ground at a 45° angle to the horizontal. Repeat with the other three spikes at 120° horizontal degrees from each other. Put your rope through the last link in the chain. Strap that sucker down.

I'll find a place to post the article but probably not before tomorrow morning.

POSTED: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4662601/KP1301.zip

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Jim. Plywood is a great idea, especially if you have wheelpants. Going to check out the aviation dept tomorrow at the hardware store.

Saw the idea to roll the plane wheels onto gutter splash pads and it worked great last year. Keep the wheels from sinking into the ground.

No time to post. Go down to the aviation department of True Value Hardware. Find what they call Bridge Spikes (or use the trade name of "Big M8%#r F^@&!#g Nails"). Get the largest and longest they have. In general they'll be about 3/16" diameter and 12" long. Get 3 Spikes per tiedown. Go over to the chain section. Find the smallest proof chain the Spikes will fit through. Have them cut four links per tiedown. Go to the junk tools counter. Buy a METAL FORGED hammer (no wood). Put this all into a small nylon carry bag meant for tent poles or similar.

Go back to True Value. Get three pieces of 3/8" plywood as large as will slide under the back seat. Put these pieces under one half of the back seat. Put the Spike assemblies under the other.

When you get to OSH, don't push your airplane ALL the way back, stop about 12" short. Put the plywood under the backs of the wheels. Push the airplane wheels onto the plywood. Chock the wheels to keep the wheels onto the plywood.

Start with one wing tiedown. Push the Spike through one link of the chain. Pound the Spike into the ground at a 45° angle to the horizontal. Repeat with the other three spikes at 120° horizontal degrees from each other. Put your rope through the last link in the chain. Strap that sucker down.

I'll find a place to post the article but probably not before tomorrow morning.

POSTED: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4662601/KP1301.zip

Jim

I even listened and got the metal hammer!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 19
Back