Tied to a plane with a rope...

etsisk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iYiYi
what an odd way to be taking off!

But I did! Did the take off in the glider, didn't nose the plane down, stayed mostly behind 'im, mostly, all in all, not a bad go. :D

Sailplanes are cool!!! :D

excellent Tom! master the tow, it is a great skill to have. Towpilots base their opinions of glider pilots on if they can tell if the glider is back there. keep it inline, keep it coordinated, keep the towplane above the horizon and everyone will walk away happy. good work!

Really? Keep the plane above you? I would think you would want to try and stay above the plane.

N2212R said:
Really? Keep the plane above you? I would think you would want to try and stay above the plane.
But if you are above the plane, then the towline is applying upwards force to the tail of the towplane. Bad idea...

Greebo said:
But if you are above the plane, then the towline is applying upwards force to the tail of the towplane. Bad idea...

Which would eliminated the need for me to apply nose down trim....

N2212R said:
Which would eliminated the need for me to apply nose down trim....
Yep, but the tow plane is, after all, trying to tow the glider UP... kind of hard to do with the tow plane's nose pointed down! :D

Its pretty much impossible for the towplane to trim out control pressure. They are constantly changing, especially with a student glider pilot anad definitely on a day with thermals.

etsisk said:

Gives new meaning to the term "dope on a rope" :D :D :D

etsisk said:

But I did! Did the take off in the glider, didn't nose the plane down, stayed mostly behind 'im, mostly, all in all, not a bad go. :D

Take offs are always fun. Wait until your first rope break at 200 ft. :hairraise:

Back