Tie down rope material advice request

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Hi everybody,

I will be flying Rosy (the decathlon) to Tennessee at the end of May and will need to be able to tie her down on the grass. I'm planning to just buy some rope for this and am wondering if you have recommendations... Nylon, cotton, something else? In sailing the type of line used for various jobs on board matter but maybe not for this.... :confused:
I have the posts for setting in the ground already.

Jean

Nylon. Strong, has some stretch, reasonably priced (as these things go).

Cotton? You have to be kidding. Where would you even find it?

Polypropylene is lighter and floats (not that you would care) but it is not as strong and doesn't hold up in the sun.

Various high tech stuff could save you a couple ounces, but would be expensive.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=50304&subdeptNum=50315&classNum=50316

7/16 or 1/2 inch.

Thanks! Guess I'm just old .... you used to could get cotton..

Buy a set of small ratchet buckles, or some 3/8" nylon rope, Have who ever cuts it melt the ends so as not to fray.

3/8" link log chain. Ya just never know, there may be a stiff breeze! :D

Okay, maybe not. I just use nylon ratchet straps. Watch the quality of the nylon web since there are various thicknesses available.

3/8" link log chain. Ya just never know, there may be a stiff breeze! :D

Okay, maybe not. I just use nylon ratchet straps. Watch the quality of the nylon web since there are various thicknesses available.

Ratchet straps are illegal to use in Wyoming.;).. Only a miminum "3/8 log chain is allowed..:yesnod:..

Not that the winds blows a bit strong here or anything:no:.

Ratchet straps are illegal to use in Wyoming.;).. Only a miminum "3/8 log chain is allowed..:yesnod:..

This your wind gauge?

wind+guage.jpg

When ball hangs at 22 degrees we consider it 'Calm'
When ball hangs at 45 degrees we consider it 'Fairly Calm'
When ball hangs at 90 degrees we consider it 'Little Windy'
When chain stretches we considers it 'Kind of Brisk'
When chain breaks we consider it 'Sure is Windy'

http://susannesspace.blogspot.com/2011/11/hang-onto-your-hatsliterally.html

Yup.... That is the "uncalibarated" one... The legal one has bigger chain holding the ball on..:lol::lol::rofl:

I wouldn't mind chain when I tie down at DWX but am stuck with the straps for now. I have a choice of tail or wing into the prevailing wind. Not so good. Most folks seem to choose tail into the wind since those spots are seemingly more out of the way of any traffic. It'd sure be nice to tie it down pointed into the light breezes (20 to 30 kts) typically seen there on sunny afternoons.

Go to any sporting goods store that sells climbing equipment and you can buy 7mm & 8mm kernmantle rope used to make anchors for rock climbing. Sometimes the items are prepackaged in 20' lengths and say Cordalette... If you ask for Cordalette material they will know what you want. If you want something with 0% stretch that is lighter and thinner you can buy Spectra cordalette material...

This one is a good choice and it glws in the dark ay night...
http://www.rei.com/product/716962/pmi-7mm-cordelette-with-lumi-line

If your worried about the diameter you could buy some 9mm to 11mm climbing rope or static line instead.
http://www.rei.com/product/472013/pmi-e-z-bend-sport-11mm-static-rope

You could buy some locking (probably steel would be best) Carabiners and have your tie down setup ready to go with Carabiners on each end and use a clove hitch to adjust the length and sinch it down..

Marc

Last edited:
I bought mine as line from West Marine. The same properties that make it good for boats makes it good for airplanes.

I wouldn't mind chain when I tie down at DWX but am stuck with the straps for now. I have a choice of tail or wing into the prevailing wind. Not so good. Most folks seem to choose tail into the wind since those spots are seemingly more out of the way of any traffic. It'd sure be nice to tie it down pointed into the light breezes (20 to 30 kts) typically seen there on sunny afternoons.

Tie it down tail into the wind, you can pull the tail down and that will lower the training edge of the wing, and actually cause the wind to bear down on the wing and lessen the chance of a blow over. be sure to tie the yoke forward as far as it will go.

I bought mine as line from West Marine. The same properties that make it good for boats makes it good for airplanes.

5/8' StaySet (sp?) in a dark color black/blue/red.

Easy to tie, reasonably UV resistant with the dyed cover. At rated strenth, it will pull most tiedown anchors out of the grass. Even if it loses 30% of its strength after a couple of years in the sun, it'll still be enough to bend a wing.

Not cheap. Buck a foot.

5/8' StaySet (sp?) in a dark color black/blue/red.

Easy to tie, reasonably UV resistant with the dyed cover. At rated strenth, it will pull most tiedown anchors out of the grass. Even if it loses 30% of its strength after a couple of years in the sun, it'll still be enough to bend a wing.

Not cheap. Buck a foot.
I lean towards lines with just a little stretch to avoid that sudden stop at the end of the slack - so I carry three strand nylon.
(Tires have enough compliance to let an airplane bounce around no matter how tight you do the tiedowns.)

Tie it down tail into the wind, you can pull the tail down and that will lower the training edge of the wing, and actually cause the wind to bear down on the wing and lessen the chance of a blow over. be sure to tie the yoke forward as far as it will go.

It's a Cherokee so the POH suggested control lock is tie aft with a seatbelt. Not much provision to tie forward.

EAA's website (airventure) has a great article on how to create your own tie-downs including recommendations for rope. I went to West Marine and bought way too much but it never hurts.

As for the stuff in the ground - I bought largest chain link and had it cut into 3 sets of 4 links each. One link gets the rope, the other links get connected to the 3 stakes that are pounded into the ground.

Hi everybody,

I will be flying Rosy (the decathlon) to Tennessee at the end of May and will need to be able to tie her down on the grass. I'm planning to just buy some rope for this and am wondering if you have recommendations... Nylon, cotton, something else? In sailing the type of line used for various jobs on board matter but maybe not for this.... :confused:

Jean

Spectra - get Spectra rope. VERY strong. Very little stretch.

Hi everybody,

Jean

If your decathalon is named "Rosy," then I can't wait to hear the name of your other plane. What is it?

Also, at my local home improvement store, I've seen them sell all kinds of rope (you just tell them how many cuts you want, and the length, and they customize it for you).

I think the name of her other plane is " The Riveter".:rofl::lol::goofy:

Very funny. This reminds me that as of last week I have sworn (in front of several people) that if I ever get another dog, and it is either a chocolate lab or a chesapeake bay retriever, then it shall be named "Rudder." No other type of dog will do.

Hi everybody,

Jean

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...51_10001_100608_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView

3/8" 15' double braided black, it'll have an eye in one end making attachment to many different fixtures simple, and black is the most environmentally resistant.

Very funny. This reminds me that as of last week I have sworn (in front of several people) that if I ever get another dog, and it is either a chocolate lab or a chesapeake bay retriever, then it shall be named "Rudder." No other type of dog will do.

a local glider pilot has a small dog named "Tailwheel"

Why, do you kick your dogs? :popcorn:

:no: Never use open hooks on a tie down. :yikes: If you have to tie to a cable that has some give to it, a good wind will get the aircraft bouncing. I've seen open hooks pop off the tie down ring on the aircraft and watched a glider go cartwheeling across the ramp in a storm gust. :hairraise:

Has anyone found a source of hooks with keepers. I've looked at a few auto parts and hardware stores. Maybe a motorcycle shop?

Has anyone found a source of hooks with keepers. I've looked at a few auto parts and hardware stores. Maybe a motorcycle shop?

They are called 'moused hooks" and are still suboptimal. Just feed the line through whatever the attachment is and tie a truckers hitch.

Why, do you kick your dogs? :popcorn:
No, but we are doing hunting and I'm getting my hunting license. Those two breeds can be trained to tolerate the bang of a shotgun and they will bring back the dead animal. Chessies are great in the water and my BF has private land in a marsh area with many small bodies of water (boat in only and tide dependent).

Plus I have taken dog classes (I'm a volunteer for the humane society's behavior and training department) . . . though not the world's smartest dogs, they do train well and are pretty obedient.... plus very affectionate and friendly.

I had a chessie. Bruno. You better have A LOT of property AND a lot of energy if you get one. I've never experienced anther breed with as much energy. We'd take a three or four day canoe trip doing about ten miles a day. Bruno wouldn't ride, no, he'd swim 20/day and each evening I'd still be throwing his racquet ball out in the water from our gravel bar camp for him to fetch...'till well after dark. Get up the next day and do it all again. The next day, again. We took a lot of three and four day canoe trips together.

Damnedest thing I've ever seen...in a dog breed anyway.

Buddy just lays in the back of the plane and sleeps. :)

Last edited:
Nylon rope, treated with a match on the ends so it doesn't unravel. A bowline know at the end that goes to the ground anchor, and a hitch to the tie-down rings.

http://www.flymafc.com/docs/Tiedown-Knots.pdf

I use the 1/2 nylon rope too, and carry a set with me on trips. The nylon seems to do well and dosnt deteriorate as fast as some other ropes.

You might make sure your destination airport allows tie downs, Ive been to a few airports that dont allow planes to be tied down.

You might make sure your destination airport allows tie downs, Ive been to a few airports that dont allow planes to be tied down.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind the "no tiedown" rule...:dunno:

No, but we are doing hunting and I'm getting my hunting license. Those two breeds can be trained to tolerate the bang of a shotgun and they will bring back the dead animal. Chessies are great in the water and my BF has private land in a marsh area with many small bodies of water (boat in only and tide dependent).

Lol, I meant because you'd name him Rudder, not so you won't get bit...:rofl::rolleyes: You're going hunting, that could be interesting, hunting what?

We took the standard open hook design, cut them off and sewed on locking carabiners for "daily use". Not for overnight long term use. Need someone that has the equipment to stitch canvas or parachute harness, seatbelts, etc.

We took the standard open hook design, cut them off and sewed on locking carabiners for "daily use". Not for overnight long term use. Need someone that has the equipment to stitch canvas or parachute harness, seatbelts, etc.

Any upholstery shop can do it for you. Sailmakers, also.

Good idea. I already use 'biners because the tiedown points on the Jabiru won't anything larger than quarter inch rope (go figure).

They are called 'moused hooks" and are still suboptimal. Just feed the line through whatever the attachment is and tie a truckers hitch.

Thanks for the terminolgy. Never knew what to call'em.
Why are straps suboptimal? I'm hangared so tiedowns are short term use.

Back