Tie down as permanent home?

kwc98

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kwc98
As i get everything set to actually purchase a plane, I discovered that the GA airport near by has a waiting list for hangers > 12 months. Other GA airports that are 40-ish minutes away have a variety of choices, community hanger, real hangers, etc.

With having hangers somewhat nearby, would you have your plane permanently on a tie down or would you just make the drive? The plane is a Vans' RV, so no cloth to consider.

Opinions?

thanks,
Ken

The closer it is the more you'll fly, I'd tie it down and get on the waiting list ASAP! :D

As i get everything set to actually purchase a plane, I discovered that the GA airport near by has a waiting list for hangers > 12 months. Other GA airports that are 40-ish minutes away have a variety of choices, community hanger, real hangers, etc.

With having hangers somewhat nearby, would you have your plane permanently on a tie down or would you just make the drive? The plane is a Vans' RV, so no cloth to consider.

Opinions?

thanks,
Ken

As i get everything set to actually purchase a plane, I discovered that the GA airport near by has a waiting list for hangers > 12 months. ...

Only 12 months!??!!!!! You're living in GA paradise compared to much of the country, where the wait for a hanger is measured in years, sometimes in decades!!!!!

Opinions?

thanks,
Ken

Only 12 months? You must not live on either coast!

You could hangar at the more distant AP until the local one opens up. Outside for a year as long as you don't get really extreme weather is OK. Buy a quality cover.

Opinions?

thanks,

Ken

Wait lists are a funny thing. A lot depends on the airport manager. I remember at one airport I moved to that I was told I was #15 on the list and 3 weeks later I got a call to tell me a hangar was available. Couldn't help to think that the fact I was flying daily and using a lot of fuel didn't have something to do with me moving up the list.

At another airport, I saw the list and saw people's names moving up above mine. Was told that people above me didn't have a plane but agreed to a partnership with someone below me. Funny how I never ran into any of those "partnerships".

Any space on the airport to build a hangar? You could build and then rent out space to one or two other people.

Opinions?

thanks,
Ken

Where do you live? What sort of weather do you have? We had tie downs in New York and Connecticut. Snow and ice were a problem, but bearable. In Oklahoma, we insist on a hangar. The wind is fierce.

I would drive a little further to have a hanger personally. It drives me nuts how dirty the airplane gets being outside. I also enjoy having a place to store the other stuff out of the weather. I would get a hanger now and get on the waiting list locally. What time you spend driving, you may make up for removing covers and cleaning the airplane.

It SUCKS having to wait for frost to melt before flying. And there isn't much of the country (not even in CA) that is frost free in winter.

Take the drive. It is not only fabric that suffers in the open. Put your name on the list. Often these lists move faster than anticipated.

Where are you located? Weather drives the decision right now. If on either coast, salt & humidity negatively impact everything. Snow & ice? How much time are you willing to clean off the wings and everything while waiting for the engine heater to work?

If you're not along the coasts, have relatively mild winters, get on the waiting list and tie-down. Otherwise, get on the waiting list and consider the hangars 40 min away.

Only 12 months!??!!!!! You're living in GA paradise compared to much of the country, where the wait for a hanger is measured in years, sometimes in decades!!!!!

yup.... 12-14 year waiting list out here in Jackson Wy..

Opinions?

thanks,
Ken

If you tie it down, you need a good cover, a cheap one will scratch up your
canopy. Hangar is much preferable.

Well, there are no hangars (at least not in any reasonable dream of affordability) at the closest airport to my house (Washington Dulles). I keep my plane about an 50 minutes away (I do pass one closer airport only about 35 mins away but there are other reasons not to attempt to base there).

The waiting list at CJR (where I am now) NEVER moved for years. People never gave up hangars, but there was a good secondary market in subleasing. Then the airport manager who is also one of the county councilmen (who actually is very pro-GA in his attitude) decided enough was enough. They revamped to leases to BAN subleasing and to terminate leases if you didn't have an aircraft to put in the hangar. Further since they knew who was in the hangars because they open them up every January to figure out who to send property tax bills to, they issued the new leases to the CURRENT INHABITANT of the hangar (lucky for me, I was one of the subletters).

While my plane sat out for the first 8 years or so I owned it, I am much happier with the hangar. Of course, in two years, I'll let that hangar go because I'll be full time down in my house in NC which has its own hangar attached (and the commute to the hangar will involve walking down the back hallway).

I've never had a issue with waiting lists, between city T hangars, private rental t hangars, fitting me in a private corp hangar, never been a issue.

Are there any King Airs or Lears or anything living there, I've found some of those guys build big hangars and are OK with a little plane squeaking in.

For tied downs, it's fine got friends who have had their planes tied down for years but constantly fly them, I wouldn't do it with my plane, but to each their own.

Mines 160mo

Last edited:
I am amazed at how expensive hangars are in some areas. Out west in Seattle was told $800-1200+/mo , just the other day outside NY I was told they were a steal at $700/mo. I can only imagine there are places that easily top those.

Hangars out my way range avg $200/mo and there are lots of empty open hangars. I know a place about an hour east of me that has almost brand new T-hangars for $150/mo.

I couldn't imagine having to pay what some of you do for hangar space.

I'm lucky I was able to get a hangar when I got my plane. It quickly filled up with everything from a compressor to tool box to refrigerator. Also, if you plan on doing owner-assited annuals, you'll need a hangar.

If you go the tie-down route, you will find that you will fill your car with aviation stuff-oil, cleaners, rags-just so you don't have to go home if you need something.

The old man's Cessna 120 lived on a tiedown for years along with lots of other airplanes at what is now VLL.

The big risk is hail damage.

Harder to preheat with no electricity.

Hangar in a group hangar in Florida eight months of the year. Tie down when up north in Mass. Have canvas covers for the plane,no problem. My airplane is mostly composite ,so I'm worried about the sun.

Of course, in two years, I'll let that hangar go because I'll be full time down in my house in NC which has its own hangar attached (and the commute to the hangar will involve walking down the back hallway).

that's my dream setup. :yes:

Here in New California the hangars also cost a pretty penny and that's why I gave up mine because I was not willing to double the cost of my airplane in a few years in just the rent. And I don't have a pretty airplane either so it does not matter to begin with.

For your own use, I'd recommend to look into the frequency of your flying, commute, price difference for all parking options, fuel availability/price, maintenance options, weather and of course convenience.

Hangars out my way range avg $200/mo and there are lots of empty open hangars. I know a place about an hour east of me that has almost brand new T-hangars for $150/mo.

I couldn't imagine having to pay what some of you do for hangar space.

Supply and demand. If there are empty hangars, they wouldn't be getting $700 for them.

It varies widely here. At IAD it costs $350 for permission to just leave your plain on the ramp. The next airport runs $450 or so for a hangar if you can get it. A little further down the road we're paying about $230.

Supply and demand. If there are empty hangars, they wouldn't be getting $700 for them.

It varies widely here. At IAD it costs $350 for permission to just leave your plain on the ramp. The next airport runs $450 or so for a hangar if you can get it. A little further down the road we're paying about $230.

I'll bet you can get a cheap hangar at Half Moon Bay.

Better be instrument rated and have an IFR GPS, though.

I personally would not buy an aircraft if my only choice was to tie down out in the open. While I was waiting for a hangar I had her in a covered top, open hangar. I feel very fortunate to have made it through that period with no incident. Weather is BAD for any vehicle, but for one to which I trust my life, no thanks.

Tie down is no good. Drive the fourty minutes. They go down hill quickly if you have a decent looking aircraft. Heat is tough on them uv, hail, rain, etc. if it's a dog and you don't intend to keep it long, then ok. It's why there are waiting lists that are so long. Insurance rates are cheaper too if it's in a hangar. Plus......you need a place for your " stuff". Check out the ones that are tied down. Usually they look pretty bad.

I would drive a little further to have a hanger personally. It drives me nuts how dirty the airplane gets being outside. I also enjoy having a place to store the other stuff out of the weather. I would get a hanger now and get on the waiting list locally. What time you spend driving, you may make up for removing covers and cleaning the airplane.

+1 to this

If it was me I'd get on the waiting list at the close airport and then hangar it as far away as necessary in the meantime. Airplanes tied outside don't survive very long around here.

For many, many years I read the "tie downs and a good cover are great, you can pay for a new paint job with the savings every six years" threads. Sounded like a reasonable, financially prudent approach. Every plane I had ever rented or been paid to fly was tied down, and it did not bother me.

Then my name came up (after seven years) on the hangar list at the nearest airport, coincidentally the same time I got a new plane. That was one year ago.

Get a hangar.

And then get FlyingRon's sweet North Carolina setup, so all your tools are in one place. That's my next step, even though my wife does not know it yet. Or, maybe, she does, she is stealthily perceptive sometimes . . . :D

Back