Tidewater VA airports tie-downs/hangars?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Anyone based in the tidewater/Norfolk, VA area care to comment on tiedown/hangar rentals?

I'm up for orders (active duty Navy) in less than a year and the current job list has alot more stuff in Norfolk than in San Diego, so I may very well be moving back east in a year. Still early in the process, but want to get as much info as possible before I start negotiating with my detailer.

It's been 7 years since I lived in Norfolk and I wasn't flying back then, so I'm looking for the current gouge on GA options in the area.

What is the typical monthly tiedown rate? Are there hangars available and what do they go for?

Any GA still park at ORF? How bad are the fees there?

Can't comment on anything but SFQ - probably 30 to 45 minutes away. They have cheap non-ethanol mogas available on the field! Not sure what you fly but if you have an automotive STC you can fill up for 4 bucks a gallon.

Can't comment on anything but SFQ - probably 30 to 45 minutes away. They have cheap non-ethanol mogas available on the field! Not sure what you fly but if you have an automotive STC you can fill up for 4 bucks a gallon.
Interesting.....I have a 1948 170....had a MoGas STC, but that became void when they changed the engine out before I bought it. I would imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get a new STC though.

Any idea what the long-term tie-down/hangar fees are?

I keep my plane tied down outside here in San Diego, but the weather is rather kind and hangars are exorbetant. Knowing how the nasty it can get in the Chesapeake are, a hangar might be a nice thing.

I know tie down at KCPK is pretty cheap, not sure about keeping it inside

I lived in Virginia Beach for 4 years, up until about 8 months ago. I can't say anything about the pricing, but I'd recommend checking KCPK or KPVG. There are still several T-hangers over by Landmark in ORF, but it seems like the majority of GA is at the other two. Depending upon where you live, either CPK or PVG are about 20 minutes outside of town (unless there's traffic, then plan an hour :hairraise: - still better than trying to get to ORF at 8am, though).

Chesapeake is a little nicer...newly tared runway, wide open ramp, lots of hangars and a big GA terminal. Hampton Roads Exec is a bit more of what I think a GA airport should be. No fences, no terminal, lots and lots of planes parked all over. It's a neat little airport with a couple small runways and a LOT of traffic. Good luck! There's a lot more traffic in the city than there used to be...

Here I sit at PVG, at a nice avionics shop, waiting for the bad news... so I called the airport mgr at Hampton Roads Executive: Old hangars- $230 to $310. New hangars $440/mo. Tie-down $65-150/mo, depending on location. Avgas SS-$5.50.
NOW: Might I interest you in a commute? Edenton NC, KEDE, about an hour southwest of Norfolk, offers a beautiful space in a big brand new hangar for $155/mo and avgas is $5.25/gal. (Figuring in Norfolk's beastly traffic, it might not be that bad....and if you lived on the south side of town, it'd be less than that.) Last I looked, tiedown was free, but that's just overnight, maybe.
Good luck-- this is a mighty nice part of the world to call home.

No idea on the fees i just stopped in once to fill up on mogas in a friend's 152.

I've done a few training sessions at KPVG, and it's a very nice GA airport with aircraft and avionics shops on the field (but I have no particular experience with either). They're just getting their new terminal open and there's a nice little airport "greasy spoon" type restaurant on field. Self-serve gas was pretty cheap last time I was there, and there seems to be a regular ABC* in session on the weekends. It's on the other side of town from the Navy bases, but still not a big drive other than at rush hour the wrong way. All in all, seems a good choice to me.

*Airport Bums Club.

KPVG, Hampton Roads Exec, IS a nice little airport with a very good avionics shop and maintenance facility, side by side. The little restaurant inside the new building is OK- and quite convenient if you're stuck there getting work done. All of the above, plus the prices for gas, tie-down, and hangars I quoted- today's rates- seem a little spendy to me, but it's a fair amount closer to Norfolk than other options.

I agree on PVG. I have used both Bay Avionics who did my entire panel and did some minor business with the mechanics next door (aerodyne or whatever they are called).
Fuel was reasonable and it is right on the the Highway if you are driving in or out.
Food in the little cafe there wasn't bad either.

Back