TIA's

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
My lovely Bride has experienced a second TIA (transient ischemic attack), two in the last month. All tests; MRI, CT scan, EEG, 2D Echo look good. No real answers, or so it seems. Looking for ideas and answers, I know my Brides doctors have to be tired of listening to me pick their brains. I'm out of questions but still puzzled.

My lovely Bride has experienced a second TIA (transient ischemic attack), two in the last month. All tests; MRI, CT scan, EEG, 2D Echo look good. No real answers, or so it seems. Looking for ideas and answers, I know my Brides doctors have to be tired of listening to me pick their brains. I'm out of questions but still puzzled.
The neurologists are usually very thorough in working this up. I assume that they have already done a carotid artery doppler study looking for blocked neck arteries. A lot depends on the age, smoking history, medications especially hormones or oral contraceptives. A TEE (trans-esophageal echo) can show things which can cause a TIA including an aortic valve fibroelastoma or other intra-cardiac neoplasms which might not show up on a standard TTE (trans-thoracic or surface echo). A TEE will show a small intracardiac shunt (patent foramen ovale or PFO) if it exists however it is controversial how to deal with these since they are present in at least 15% of the population. Some advocate closing PFOs using a catheter based device while others would recommend anticoagulation with warfarin (Coumadin). I do a lot of TEEs for neurologists working up strokes and PFOs. Another issue is if the patient has a blood clotting problem. A special (and expensive) series of blood tests can determine if the blood clots too easily.

Gary, give my greetings to Mary.

Why don't you PM with a bit of a description of what these look like, & how they come and how they resolve. Different locations have different implications.

....and was she was started on Plavix or Aspirin in the interim......

Gary,

I hope everything settles down and Mary is OK. Please give her my regards.

Sorry to hear that Greg.

I was on vacation north of Coeur D'alene, Idaho and a good friend's stepdad and former TWA 727 driver had a TIA a long way out of town and medical assistance.

Was pretty worrisome there for a bit.

Here's hoping they can settle hers down. His were eventually controlled with medication.

He had already hung up his Pilot Medical a few years prior so it wasn't heartbreaking for him.

Thanks all....for some ideas and well wishes.

The carotid artery doppler was done, there was some plaque buildup and some plaque in the brain arteries. Mary does not smoke, we both have changed our diets, she's down 25 pounds and I’m down 20. Doctors are looking at anxiety due to her father passing as a trigger, It’s coming up on the one year mark. I’m really not buying into that and either is her cardiologist.

I passed out after posting and just now woke up. trying to get my schedule back on track. It's time for a tall glass of ice water and more sleep.

Doc Bruce, I'll pm today.

Last edited:

Uh-Oh... Not good news, sorry to hear. Had to look up what a TIA was, doesn't sound good.

Gary

Thanks all....for some ideas and well wishes.

The carotid artery doppler was done, there was some plaque buildup and some plaque in the brain arteries. Mary does not smoke, we both have changed our diets, she's down 25 pounds and I’m down 20. Doctors are looking at anxiety due to her father passing as a trigger, It’s coming up on the one year mark. I’m really not buying into that and either is her cardiologist.

I passed out after posting and just now woke up. trying to get my schedule back on track. It's time for a tall glass of ice water and more sleep.

Doc Bruce, I'll pm today.

Gary, Keep pressing for answers and ask questions. As far as her dad dying being the catalyst, mmmm I seem to recall her having hypertension sever enough to hospitalize her on more than one occasion and I think at least one of those episodes was prior to her dad dying. Let the Doc's know that, as always you know how much Tam and I care about Mary.

The weight loss should help, some low impact exercise might be a good idea as well. Must be something in the water, I have a relative who lives not far from you who is having similar medical issues.

Mrs. Steingar gets really, really mopey around the anniversary of her mother's death, but not that of her father. If she's going to have a stress-related ischemic event, that's when it will happen (Odin knows she never feels any stress from angelic yours truly). Then again, she was loads closer to her mother. I don't know Mrs. M well enough to make to make that distinction.

Good luck. The denizens of Steinholme are pulling for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back