Thyroid issues

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
Doc, a prospective student approached me about the possibility of flight lessons, then his wife approached me to twist his arm to actually pursue lessons (lucky man!)

During our conversation I mentioned the flight physical and asked if he was on any meds (they're friends...I was comfortable asking...he's early 50s). She said no, but that his doctor was doing some tests to see if he needed a thyroid med. She didn't have much more detail.

Just curious if you're aware of any thyroid meds that might be disqualifying, and what advice I should suggest he pursue with his doctor.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate all you do here.

It's not the meds, it's the condition. The meds for hyperthyroidism (like tapazole) would indicate a state in which no issuance can occur. Stable hypothyroid hormone replacement, documented, however, is not an issue.

Thyroid issues can be amazingly debilitating. My mom stopped taking her meds and she had no idea where she was, or what day it was after a short time. Very eye opening condition.

Bruce... I know you dont give medical advice... but is it worth asking that while Hyperthyroid is disqualifying, that ablation/destruction of the thyroid and then medicating the resulting hypothyroid condition (with lifelong meds).... is THAT scenario certifiable with stable medication?

Bruce... I know you dont give medical advice... but is it worth asking that while Hyperthyroid is disqualifying, that ablation/destruction of the thyroid and then medicating the resulting hypothyroid condition (with lifelong meds).... is THAT scenario certifiable with stable medication?
YES. And of course that is the COMMON pathway- tapazole, I-131 ablation, synthroid.....3 months of stability, then issunace.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back