Thursday

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
A Windy Thursday?

I'm going then. More wind, and I'd like the practice. No better way to end a month of not flying with a predicted 15 knots. Of course, at FDK with the four choices of runway, you can usually get something kinda aligned with wind.

Last edited:
Ben;

I took a look at the WX. and as of now (subject to change) it looks like a nice day to go out and have fun.

Enjoy practicing and have fun

John

Thanks, John! I hope it doesn't get really windy. Wait a minute--if it looks like it will, maybe I will "rent" a CFI along with the C182!

(On a side note, I've noticed that 20 knots of wind on the ground feels very different in the C182 than in the C172!)

wangmyers said:
Thanks, John! I hope it doesn't get really windy. Wait a minute--if it looks like it will, maybe I will "rent" a CFI along with the C182!

(On a side note, I've noticed that 20 knots of wind on the ground feels very different in the C182 than in the C172!)
Wait a minute. Am I detecting an adversion to wind? I appreciate that you haven't flown in a month--has it been a month already?--and I really do want you to get up there in the air.

Richard said:
Wait a minute. Am I detecting an adversion to wind? I appreciate that you haven't flown in a month--has it been a month already?--and I really do want you to get up there in the air.
Yep. Not flying in a month doesn't bother me much. I haven't landed in big winds, though, in a few months. You know what? I've decided that I will go either way, but I'll just take a CFI if the winds feel like they're going to punish me. I was going to practice IFR, but if it is going to be clear, I might as well get some valuable windy-landing practice in. I know it can get that way in Texas this time of month, too, so I need to be up to par for the upcoming trip.

wangmyers said:
Yep. Not flying in a month doesn't bother me much. I haven't landed in big winds, though, in a few months. You know what? I've decided that I will go either way, but I'll just take a CFI if the winds feel like they're going to punish me. I was going to practice IFR, but if it is going to be clear, I might as well get some valuable windy-landing practice in. I know it can get that way in Texas this time of month, too, so I need to be up to par for the upcoming trip.
Well, you have a good plan there. This is where I'm coming from: you recently earned your IR, everyone here says you are a superb pilot yet you are adverse to winds. That does not compute because IMC is where you are likely to finds those winds. Forgive me for being so impudent.

BTW: would the CFI in question also be your MEI?

Richard said:
Well, you have a good plan there. This is where I'm coming from: you recently earned your IR, everyone here says you are a superb pilot yet you are adverse to winds. That does not compute because IMC is where you are likely to finds those winds. Forgive me for being so impudent.

BTW: would the CFI in question also be your MEI?
Thanks for the vote of confidence! The winds that would bother me (in the C182) would be surface winds, gusting to 25 or above. I could do it, but I also see an opportunty there. Hmm . . . If I take a CFI, I could also do a couple of approaches. Tomorrow, I'm renting from a different flight school, so unfortunately it won't be my excellent primary CFI (who would also be my preferred MEI).

I don't practice landings unless it's windy.

Today sounds like fun:
[FONT=Monospace,Courier]31029G38KT

The more wind. The more fun. Remember your control positions on the ground.

Of course don't go beyond the limits of yourself or your airplane and never put yourself in a situation you are not comfortable with. So if you are not comfortable with the winds, bringing a CFI is a good idea. Eventually you won't even notice them.

[/FONT]

Last edited:
FM1300 31012G22KT P6SM SCT050

That's the forcast for now. No big deal, esp considering the fact that I can use runway 30. Unless it gets much worse, I'm going to do this solo. Maybe I'll luck out and get some IMC, too!

wangmyers said:
FM1300 31012G22KT P6SM SCT050

That's the forcast for now. No big deal, esp considering the fact that I can use runway 30. Unless it gets much worse, I'm going to do this solo. Maybe I'll luck out and get some IMC, too!

TO climb Vx should be impressive... !

Ben;

The cool front just came through here on the shore at 1930. FDK is about 80 miles west of where I am. I sense most of the wind will be from mid morning to mid afternoon unless the forecast changes drastically. It will be bumpy but a great day to go up with an instructor and practice. Later in the day usally is a good time for it will become less windy and the cloud cover will dissapate. Friday's forecast looks great too.

Have fun and enjoy;

John

Back