thrifting

Let me tell you... i'm still 20 years from breaking even haha. How about you @masloki ?
Ummm, I thought rule number two of Fight Club hobbies was, “don’t do the math.” Or any time I think I have saved enough bucks homebrewing, some shiny stainless thing shows up on my doorstep. I’ll have to tell you about my new uber-quiet and damn-cheap lagering chiller tomorrow :cheers:.

Lost weight and a number of shorts just fall off when I put them on, I’m not a belt guy, so I went online and found a nice sewing machine for $150, I offered $50 which was promptly accepted, I picked up the machine and tailored a few pairs of shorts that would have went to the trash. Now my other half has a pile of items for me to tailor too. I don’t know how to tailor or use the machine much, but I’m playing around with it. Anything that keeps me off a screen is a good activity.

Good on you. I picked up a old sewing machine a few years ago to learn to sew in case I ever got the chance to help restore an old rag wing. That's evolved to drafting patterns and sewing my wife's riding clothes (the price of quality breeches would make your eyes water) making my own bespoke jeans and casual pants as well as altering stuff to really fit. There's a world of difference in comfort between wearing off the rack and stuff that's really made to fit your body to measure.

Lot of good stuff on YouTube. Like welding, it's all in the prep, but without the sparks.

You wanna see some really cool s***, maybe I’ll post a video of my wife’s quilting machine in action.

Let me tell you... i'm still 20 years from breaking even haha. How about you @masloki ?
I gave away all my brewing stuff to my son in law. Now he does all the work, and I still get to drink the beer. :cheers:

I used to do all my own car work. Nowadays I tend to get an estimate and decide whether it's worth my while to do it myself. Increasingly, it's not. Spending all weekend on my neck on a creeper isn't as much fun as it was when I was 20 or 40, and I have a local mechanic I trust.

Now the plane, I still do everything myself.

Back