Three rules of Aviation

After 350 hours this year, I agree with point 4. Dan, at 350 this year I surpass your 250. I'll also point out the three checkrides I've passed this year. Therefore, I must be right. :D

Edit: But Lance may have me beat, in which case I'll have to concede.

But with a NA piston single the deck angle (which is far more obvious to most pilots than AoA) will be significantly lower at the onset of a full power stall at high DA with a full load than it will be at lower weights and lower DA.

Yup. You are right. I was thinking power-off stalls.

Dan

There's one FAA lawyer who visits this board sometimes. I don't find him to be useless. I'd buy him a beer any day, in fact.

Amen, I've had to answer FAA counsels questions 3 times now, once in person and twice on the phone and every time they have been reasonable to my explanations of what happened. One even told me he was glad I landed at the Flying J truck stop rather than risk running out of fuel.

As for fuel, when flying normal flights, I tend to carry as much fuel as I can, however when flying Ag, I carry the bare minimum. I've just worked with too many guys who are horribly disfigured from fires when everything went wrong. Fire and I have a very long history, I do what I can to keep it from getting to me, and one of those ways is to minimize the potential fuel for it.

My personal rules to aviation:

Keep the energy state in the section of the envelope where it will be most beneficial.

Never make a flight where the risk benefit evaluation doesn't make sense.

Never take off with more than 4 links in the accident chain already forged.

My personal rules to aviation:

Keep the energy state in the section of the envelope where it will be most beneficial.

Never make a flight where the risk benefit evaluation doesn't make sense.

Never take off with more than 4 links in the accident chain already forged.
This is a good set of rules.

P.S. Thanks for putting the thread back on-topic.

Three rules of aviation:

1) Your hours don't mean anything to anyone except the insurance company and a new pilot that doesn't realize that hours mean nothing yet.

2) Don't trust anyone without confirming with an official source (even CFIs are not to be trusted).

3) O2 is needed above 14,000 ft. Below that, and you're just fine.

1. Always fly in the middle of the air.

Jesus is my co-pilot. I think there is a God. I'm pretty sure I'm not him

Fixed that for ya.

An airline pilot friend recently told me he was preparing for departure and a group of guys got on the plane that had obviously spent a bit to long at the bar before boarding the plane. He told the leader of this group that they had better behave or he would let them off the plane prior to their destination. My friend says they were very well behaved until they reached cruising altitude at which point the stewardess informed him they were getting rowdy. He told her to check back with him in about 15 minutes. In 15 minutes she checked back in and informed him that everyone in this group was sleeping. She asked how he did that and he responded that that was why he was the captain.

He told me that he had simply raised the cabin pressure to 10,000 feet. That combined with the alcohol had put them to sleep.

Brian

Jeez you guys.... OK I"ll bite.... what's a WFO and a BTTW

I don't have text messaging on my cell

Jeez you guys.... OK I"ll bite.... what's a WFO and a BTTW

I don't have text messaging on my cell

WFO is Wide F-ing Open, there is a G rated version of Wide Flat Out.

BTTW is Buried To The Wall.

WFO is Wide F-ing Open, there is a G rated version of Wide Flat Out.

BTTW is Buried To The Wall.

There's also PTTM (Pedal to the Metal) but it's not very aviation oriented.

Problem is, everybody thinks he's Superman.

:frown2:

It seems to me a good number of people on here have a realistic understanding of how altitude affects them and make suitably cautious decisions relating to it. Making any generalizations regarding how it affects anyone (or assuming it affects someone the same way it affects you) is wrong - all our bodies are different.

I just got my new O2 bottle for Christmas. Now to order the rest of the parts, pulse ox, and put the system to work!

It seems to me a good number of people on here have a realistic understanding of how altitude affects them and make suitably cautious decisions relating to it. Making any generalizations regarding how it affects anyone (or assuming it affects someone the same way it affects you) is wrong - all our bodies are different.

I just got my new O2 bottle for Christmas. Now to order the rest of the parts, pulse ox, and put the system to work!

Get the PulseOx first. It's beneficial even if you don't have O2 on board, and they're cheap. I paid something line $350 for mine including a $50 discount over 10 years ago.

I can make a general truth statement about everybody. Everybody has noticeably degraded mental function at 12,000' with no O2, even if you live at 6000'. You may not realize it because there is nothing to make it obvious, and hypoxia is by nature an incipient problem. People who live at 9000'+ are pretty much degraded all the time. Don't believe me, visit Nepal. Everyone who considers spending time above 12,000' without O2 should do a chamber ride to experience it under controlled circumstances where you are given mental tasks to accomplish so you have an understanding of how effected you are and what kind of buffers and margins you need to give yourself. If I was flying SE VFR on a clear day, I would press the FAR limits and then some, but I would not use the autopilot if provided (my ability to hold heading and altitude would be my clue that I need to get down some). I would never consider entering IMC above 10,000' without O2 and/or pressurization. ME VFR potential task loading puts me on O2 at about 12,000'.

Get the PulseOx first. It's beneficial even if you don't have O2 on board, and they're cheap. I paid something line $350 for mine including a $50 discount over 10 years ago.

I was going to order everything today - solves that issue. :)

I can make a general truth statement about everybody. Everybody has noticeably degraded mental function at 12,000' with no O2, even if you live at 6000'. You may not realize it because there is nothing to make it obvious, and hypoxia is by nature an incipient problem. People who live at 9000'+ are pretty much degraded all the time. Don't believe me, visit Nepal. Everyone who considers spending time above 12,000' without O2 should do a chamber ride to experience it under controlled circumstances where you are given mental tasks to accomplish so you have an understanding of how effected you are and what kind of buffers and margins you need to give yourself. If I was flying SE VFR on a clear day, I would press the FAR limits and then some, but I would not use the autopilot if provided (my ability to hold heading and altitude would be my clue that I need to get down some). I would never consider entering IMC above 10,000' without O2 and/or pressurization. ME VFR potential task loading puts me on O2 at about 12,000'.

I frequently hike in areas around 12,000', and aside from being fat and out of shape, I have no problems, nor do I make poor decisions. Don't need an altitude chamber (which, btw, simulates altitude) to tell me how I'll act at 12,000ft.

I do, however, notice a difference above 14,000ft. You are absolutely wrong in your blanket statement.

I frequently hike in areas around 12,000', and aside from being fat and out of shape, I have no problems, nor do I make poor decisions. Don't need an altitude chamber (which, btw, simulates altitude) to tell me how I'll act at 12,000ft.

I do, however, notice a difference above 14,000ft. You are absolutely wrong in your blanket statement.

How do you know you don't make poor decisions?

How do you know your abilities aren't measurably diminished by
the higher DAs?

Back