Three mistakes I made while going to Sun and Fun today

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
Hello all,

Today I finally made it to Sun and Fun over at Lakeland for the very first time and I made three mistakes, here they are:

#1. I brought the misses with me, (She is not really into flying as much as myself so bathroom and food breaks were often).

#2. I didn't bring a chair.

#3. I went on a Sunday, (Which I don't recommend because people were packing up early to leave and I was frantically trying to see everything before it closes). Next year I will do the entire weekend.

What did you folks think about Sun and Fun this year?

Thanks!

I have no point of reference, this is the first year I went (though I've been doing Oshkosh for 20 years). Smaller and friendlier than Oshkosh for sure:

1. My wife was presenting so we got wrist bands and a exhibitor parking pass for the week for the both of us. Oshkosh wouldn't even give you a pass for the day you were on the podium.

2. We came on field Monday (before it technically opened) and the security officer asked "May I help you?" At Oshkosh this is a challenge meaning explain yourself or get the hell out. Here, he just wanted to know if we needed directions or other information.

3. Trams are frequent and stop often. However, I never took one because one side to the other is less distance than my campsite to the showers at Oshkosh.

4. Lots of golf carts that even offered rides.

I didn't make it this year, but I lived in FL last year and drove over. Last year wasn't anything special. Most of the performances were cancelled and quite a lot of aircraft couldn't make it down. I was disappointed.

#1. Use comfortable shoes. Sperrys didn't work well.

#2. Bring a chair.

#3. Bring more money for concessions.

#4. Bring a backpack to carry everything.

I didn't make it this year, but I lived in FL last year and drove over. Last year wasn't anything special. Most of the performances were cancelled and quite a lot of aircraft couldn't make it down. I was disappointed.

#1. Use comfortable shoes. Sperrys didn't work well.

#2. Bring a chair.

#3. Bring more money for concessions.

#4. Bring a backpack to carry everything.

#5. Bring sunscreen.

#6. Bring a CamelBak or equivalent hydration system.

I took my grand daughter (12). She was unimpressed and would have rather spent the day by the hotel pool. :lol:

We had a lot of fun, and she flew the simulator a couple of times. We talked to a lot of people and had a good time while (4 hours) were there.

To her defense it was hot on Saturday, the pool was a great relief! :yes:

5th year at Sun nFun,
Can condense it down to one day visit now to see what I want to, did Friday this year.

1. Learned a while back to bring chairs.

2. First time for bringing backpack with own packed lunches, food concessions are needed to feed the masses but I can't recall ever having a meal I could say I enjoyed... so bringing own food definitely the right thing to do. And the backpack once empty of lunch was great to carry all the magazines leaflets and freebies that we collected...lol

3. Foreflight underestimated how many folk would turn up for their seminar, the room in the Academy building was way to small to accommodate everyone but the seminar was educational and worth the discomfort of sweating and having to stand for the hour presentation.

3. Lots of the vendors in the hangers appeared to be doing brisk business which is a good sign for GA.

4. Downside of the day....The Sheriffs deputies who pushed us aside as they accompanied the Governor of Florida and his "VIP cling ons"as they walked past on their way to be introduced to the Blue Angel Pilots.....

We went on Thursday with my 7 year old grandson in tow. After we watched some action at the grass strip my wife and grandson headed over to the Kids Zone as he could have cared less about airplanes. I went off and went through the hangars and looked at airplanes and then we met up for lunch and were gone shortly after that.

We took these chairs to OSH last summer: http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair

Lightweight and folds up the size of a newspaper. Fits easily inside a daypack with plenty of room for other stuff. Don't want to lounge all day in it, but it's perfect for a few hours of watching arrivals or watching an airshow.

Love the chairs, I'll probably get me one once REI hits my little one-horse town.

My chief piece of advice for anyone considering going to Sun N Fun is wait and go to Oshkosh. Not to pour cold water on SNF but I found it a pale comparison, though the time I went they had a military act (the Thunderbirds, I think) that Oshkosh never gets.

That said, were I from Fla or the Southeast I imagine I'd do SNF every year. As it is it isn't that long a flight to for YT to Wisconsin, which contributes to my yearly trip to the show. Were I down there it would be SNF every year. A pale comparison nearby beats the real thing far, far away, at least according to your friendly neighborhood Steingar.

The F22's were awesome this year as SNF. Other than those few things I mentioned above I had a pretty good time for my first one. I spoke to a lot of vendors that day and they mentioned that Osh is about 8 times bigger. Can you do Osh over a weekend period or does it take 1 week to see everything fully?

If Osh is that big I'm glad I did SNF because It wasn't as crowded as I thought it would be.....it was pretty cozy actually traffic wasn't an issue and I was able to get in and out with no issues whatsoever. My selfish reasons that I hope changes.

Have been going for over 20 years.
Great trip for aviation enthusiasts
Even better if you attend with a group of pilots. Bring a chair if you are watching the air show
Great info available in the hangers
Start early stay late.

My first Oshkosh I spent three days there and was convinced I didn't even scratch the surface. Every year since I've pretty much come early and stayed late.

Have been going for over 20 years.
Great trip for aviation enthusiasts
Even better if you attend with a group of pilots. Bring a chair if you are watching the air show
Great info available in the hangers
Start early stay late.

That reminds me, (The Hangar part)! Did you see the guy selling parachute packs just in case something happens to your airplane you can jump out? I strapped in one and I can say they were pretty light but I'm not so sure if I would use one when I get a plane.

Back