Three Lakes (40D) Fly-In Shoot Out

TripleZ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
Next weekend June 25th, there will be a Fly-in at Three Lakes, WI.

http://threelakesshootout.com/

Free Meal for any pilot arriving by Plane. :yesnod: So No excuses.
The strip is 3400' x 120', smooth grass, good condition and nestled between several lakes in a beautiful area. I flew in yesterday for a pre-visit check, grass is good, plenty of area off the runway for taxi and tie-down.

If the weather is good, a group will be departing Brennand at 7am. Ill be leaving from Fond du Lac.

Boat racing on the lake, literally 500' from the end of Rnwy 03.

Just watch out for the 3326' meat hook 8 miles south-west of 40D

Dang, my uncle used to have a cabin on one of the lakes there. I haven't landed there yet. Hmmm.... Unfortunately, I have a post airport show debrief that morning at 10, so it's doubtful I could make it before the food's all gone.

Next weekend June 25th, there will be a Fly-in at Three Lakes, WI.

http://threelakesshootout.com/

Free Meal for any pilot arriving by Plane. :yesnod: So No excuses.
The strip is 3400' x 120', smooth grass, good condition and nestled between several lakes in a beautiful area. I flew in yesterday for a pre-visit check, grass is good, plenty of area off the runway for taxi and tie-down.

If the weather is good, a group will be departing Brennand at 7am. Ill be leaving from Fond du Lac.

Boat racing on the lake, literally 500' from the end of Rnwy 03.

Just watch out for the 3326' meat hook 8 miles south-west of 40D

Sounds fun. I'll try to make it Sat AM.

Tim

I'm now rethinking and am hoping to make it up. I need to leave Three Lakes no later than 1:30PM, though, because the plane is spoken for at 4PM. How early do festivities start? I'm thinking we could be there from 10:30 - 1:30. Is that worth 4.5 hours of plane rental?

I'm now rethinking and am hoping to make it up. I need to leave Three Lakes no later than 1:30PM, though, because the plane is spoken for at 4PM. How early do festivities start? I'm thinking we could be there from 10:30 - 1:30. Is that worth 4.5 hours of plane rental?

I'll be leaving FDL by 7 and should be there by 8am. I wasn't planning to have the plane all day either and will probably leave by 1pm.

I've never been to the boat races, but they should be a good time.

Oh man... Three Lakes is probably the nicest grass strip I've ever seen (golf-course quality grass, and lit too!), but I can't make it on the 25th. :(

Is this a yearly thing?

If I decide to head to 6Y9 this weekend I might come back down.

Oh man... Three Lakes is probably the nicest grass strip I've ever seen (golf-course quality grass, and lit too!), but I can't make it on the 25th. :(

Is this a yearly thing?

They had one last year as well, about 35 planes showed up according to the local. Im sure they'll have one next year. Seems to be a pretty big deal for the small town.

They had one last year as well, about 35 planes showed up according to the local. Im sure they'll have one next year. Seems to be a pretty big deal for the small town.

Well I spent a good amount of time there as a kid, and it's very scenic. My great-aunt bought the old ranger station and some land. I think her and the boys still have it.

Rusty lake water ;) good swimming and fishing as a kid. I haven't been there in years though. Good luck, I should have my PPL by next year and be able to come.

Okay, looking forward to it. Changed the plane so we'll be launching by 8:30, so should get there before 10:45. Need to leave by 1:45.

^^^^ Sweet.

Weather looks gorgeous. Ive got a call into the airport manager for Three Lakes to check on field condition after the rain we got this week. Based on the pitch, composition, and condition last week, Im not too concerned.

Ill update once he calls me back.

Flying a blue /white C-172 733PX.

^^^^ Sweet.

Weather looks gorgeous. Ive got a call into the airport manager for Three Lakes to check on field condition after the rain we got this week. Based on the pitch, composition, and condition last week, Im not too concerned.

Ill update once he calls me back.

Flying a blue /white C-172 733PX.
We'll be in N7111W, a 182:
http://www.sidnaw.org/6Y9/events/2009/pages/138.htm

Talked with the airport manager. The field is wet, but drying. He is going to check it tomorrow morning and issue a NOTAM if its bad.

Talked with the airport manager. The field is wet, but drying. He is going to check it tomorrow morning and issue a NOTAM if its bad.
Thanks. We'll check NOTAMs before flying, obviously.

(OTOH, I've had at least one instance where flight service failed to give us the NOTAM that the airport was closed! Granted, this was not long after Lockmart took over, before they'd worked out many of the kinks.)

Watched Chris take off.

Sorry I didn't stop and say "hi". We were watching the boats, lost track of time, then had to boogie to get the rental plane back. Next year, I'm going to plan on either camping or staying the whole day, wish I could have seen that blown V8 hydro run.

Did you see the folks walking across the end of the active runway? I followed another plane out on 03, wind was favoring 21 a bit more (variable / light all morning), and I had to stay in ground effect a bit longer (lesson learned). I don't think they expected that, and I didn't see them until the plane was airborne.

But I did see them duck and run! :hairraise:
My passenger was recording the take-off. I think he got it on tape.

Somehow I missed both of you. I was there in my Sonex, but spent most of the time watching the boat races. Nice day to fly - enjoyed it. I'll probably be back to this one, that was a very nice grass strip. I have never seen a jet parked at a grass strip before.

Tim

I noted a Sonex in the back row. We departed on 21, so didn't have a problem with peds. Saw Chris' plane, but he wasn't next to it. We arrived around 11 because I wanted to get an approach in at KRHI. We stayed for the first snowmobile on water and the 50/50 drawing. It was a great time. Apparently the jet pilot is based down by us at 06C. He normally comes up in his King Air. Did either of you note the type?

Apparently the jet pilot is based down by us at 06C. He normally comes up in his King Air. Did either of you note the type?

Hah! I've seen a King Air there... And an Aerostar. Those also aren't things you normally see at grass fields.

Okay, I'm bumping this thread because it's happening again this Friday and Saturday! I'll be getting there Friday evening and overnighting, leaving Saturday afternoon. I'll be in Skylane N7111W again, since the Bonanza is already booked for Saturday.

Back