Three killed in Idaho 172 - 172 crash

One thing I'd sure like to see is more CTAF frequencies. On busy weekend days, it can be almost useless...
I'll go with that one. We share with both College Station and Sugarland Unicom. I've even heard San Antonio a few times.

I'm sure having the tower will give us a discreet frequency but it's at least the beginning of next year before that starts up.

I'll go with that one. We share with both College Station and Sugarland Unicom. I've even heard San Antonio a few times.

I'm sure having the tower will give us a discreet frequency but it's at least the beginning of next year before that starts up.

From what you've said it sure sounds like you need a tower! I wonder if FAA could bring in a temporary tower in the mean time?

Maybe if they'd just build a bunch of 7-11s in India there'd be fewer students at that other school at your home base...:p

Trapper John

There are times when there isn't a "good" answer. This is a situation where you have safety issues no matter how you do it, and I don't know that I could accurately quantify the relative risk. I think that I'd lean toward the straight-in in this case so I'm not clogging up the pattern area any longer than necessary. I'd be ready to convert it at any time, however. If I felt that I needed to change, it would probably be to an upwind entry if I were within about 2 miles of the runway because I wouldn't want to be maneuvering against the traffic flow that close to the pattern.
I fully agree!

Thanks for the insight. I had a couple of interesting/scary experiences at that airport as a solo student. Once, just starting downwind, a group of hotshots in their aerobatic whatevers are coming straight in, no radio calls, then break into a pitchout pattern right in front of me like they're the friggin Thunderbirds or something. That was a real treat for me with all of 12 hours in my logbook...:rolleyes:

Trapper John

Back