Threads!

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Uhh... Since we have a whole forum dedicated to Gaston's, can we please post different subjects in different threads instead of having the Gaston's-thread-of-the-month with hundreds of posts only related by the fact that they're talking about Gaston's? It would make the info much easier to read, and thus result in more people getting the info they need/want.

Thanks,

-someone who really wishes vBulletin worked like the old Yellow AOPA board's Akiva and had the option to only show new posts...

-someone who really wishes vBulletin worked like the old Yellow AOPA board's Akiva and had the option to only show new posts...

newposts.JPG

Last edited:
you mean, like what you get here when you click on New Posts in the center of the pseudo-toolbar?

No. That gives you a list of threads which contain new posts.

What I want is something where when you click on the thread, it only feeds you the new posts from that thread.

Yes, I know about the checkbox. That takes you to the FIRST new post... But doesn't show all of them.

Doesn't anyone remember the old AOPA board?

View First Unread

well that copied in wrong. but after hitting new posts and going to new post, then click View First Unread and it takes you to the new posts in that thread!

well that copied in wrong. but after hitting new posts and going to new post, then click View First Unread and it takes you to the new posts in that thread!

No, it takes you to the FIRST new post in that thread. You still have to dig up all the other new posts in the thread manually, or read one post (or one sub-thread anyway) at a time in each thread, click "new posts" again, etc until you have 'em all read. Unfortunately, that doesn't even work because for some reason, certain new posts are marked read when you haven't read them. I haven't figured that one out yet.

So, to get all the new posts, I'm still scrolling through the list and sometimes clicking on one at a time. Cumbersome.

i dunno kent, i click the new post, first unread, then i got this wheelie dealie on my mouse that takes me to all the other ones i havent read after that one.

No, it takes you to the FIRST new post in that thread. You still have to dig up all the other new posts in the thread manually, or read one post (or one sub-thread anyway) at a time in each thread, click "new posts" again, etc until you have 'em all read. Unfortunately, that doesn't even work because for some reason, certain new posts are marked read when you haven't read them. I haven't figured that one out yet.

So, to get all the new posts, I'm still scrolling through the list and sometimes clicking on one at a time. Cumbersome.
You're viewing the forum in threaded mode, aren't you?

I agree, vBulletin's threaded mode leaves something to be desired. I much prefer the flat mode.

i dunno kent, i click the new post, first unread, then i got this wheelie dealie on my mouse that takes me to all the other ones i havent read after that one.

Yeah, I can scroll too... But it'd be a lot easier if I didn't have to scroll PAST anything and could simply have everything that's new shown contiguously.

The hybrid mode sucks too.

I just looked. Here's the problem with Hybrid/Threaded mode: Say you reply to the 4th post in the list by quoting, you now branch off. I post right after you, and respond simply by clicking the post reply button at the bottom of the screen. Guess what, I'm branched off the first post in the thread, not yours. So my response looks non sequitor because it is not right under yours in threaded/hybrid mode. But for all of us that view in linear mode, it totally makes sense. And guess what Kent, in linear mode you can even put all the newest post FIRST.

And now, just because I know people read in threaded mode, I am going to quote and delete with all my responses, even if just replying to the last post in the thread. Of course, I won't quote and reply to the last post in the thread, but one picked at random from within the thread, just as I did with this post.

Go linear mode - seriously.
Looks normal to us, doesn't it Tony? :)

Okay...

Flat mode, newest first is confusing as hell because you read everything backwards and out of order - The answers are before the questions. :no: :vomit:

Flat mode, oldest first seems to be the way to go for now - Then I can just click on the checkboxes to go to the new posts.

However, that still means that whenever there's any thread creep you end up reading a bunch of unrelated stuff all mixed together. I'd much prefer a way to be in threaded or hybrid mode and have the option to "only show new posts..."

I too miss it. The latest version even lets you mark each thread as read instead of each or all the forums.

I too miss it. The latest version even lets you mark each thread as read instead of each or all the forums.

Yabut, there are some other "enhancements" to Akiva that are really a PITA.

Yabut, there are some other "enhancements" to Akiva that are really a PITA.

Yeah, but I was used to that PITA. vB still hasn't completely gotten there in terms of presenting me the info I want to see without the rest. Bad SNR.

Back