Thread run thread.

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
OK, this thread is for thread runners, subject changers, cartoons, pictures, anything that will not push it over to SZ.

I'm going first. This is a rhetorical post, since I've already made up my mind, but I wanted to see it in writing. You can respond or not, don't matter.

My Warrior goes in for it's annual next week. I have decided to change mechanics mainly because I am flat broke and there is no way that I can risk last years $4,000.00 + fiasco, even though that mechanic says everything has been done, so this year it will only be around $1,500.00.

This new guy is actually an old guy, but he thinks it wont even be close to $1,500.00 I'll let you know what it ends up being when it's done.

John

I have a feeling you annual will still feel like this:

attachment.php

Attachments

• funny-gifs-beavis-is-like-a-boss.gif
    funny-gifs-beavis-is-like-a-boss.gif
    1.9 MB · Views: 273
Didn't we have a thread-drift thread a while back?

Have you asked the old guy what he charges for the inspection?

Have you asked the old guy what he charges for the inspection?

Yea, he was somewhat vague about it, "probably around twelve hundred, maybe less."

I'm kind of nervous about it. My bird has always been maintained by top of the line premium aviation repair shops. The last one, the owner even owes me a few hundred dollars, but I still think I'm better off trying this old established small shop.

It is not like I'm flying a complex or high performance, it's a little trainer type airplane. It should not be expensive to maintain at all. The biggest problem is it's an old bird, 1978 Warrior II, stuff keeps wearing out.

My number one VOR gave out completely, so now I no longer have a glide slope indicator. That's going to be some serious bucks to fix or replace, probably. It's a self contained Narco. Narco went out of business.

John

How long ago is a while?

I hope you are not encouraging necroposting.

No, I don't support necroposting (although I'm tempted to bump my question re pre-oilers)

And I thought it was in the past year... but I could be mistaken.

My number one VOR gave out completely, so now I no longer have a glide slope indicator. That's going to be some serious bucks to fix or replace, probably. It's a self contained Narco. Narco went out of business.

John

(ask me sometime about the "annual" on my '74 cherokee 140 where I stopped counting when the parts hit $23,500...but subsequent "annuals" have been much much less expensive and very quick)

If you are a VFR pilot, why would you have to replace the VOR? Do you have a handheld GPS?

(ask me sometime about the "annual" on my '74 cherokee 140 where I stopped counting when the parts hit $23,500...but subsequent "annuals" have been much much less expensive and very quick)

If you are a VFR pilot, why would you have to replace the VOR? Do you have a handheld GPS?

I have a handheld Garmin Aera 510, but for just tooling around the San Diego area, I like my VORs. I'm also one of those people who likes all my stuff to work right. It just bugs me it doesn't work. Your right though, I am VFR, I don't need it at all. I will wait till I've got the cash to fix it.

John

I have a handheld Garmin Aera 510, but for just tooling around the San Diego area, I like my VORs. I'm also one of those people who likes all my stuff to work right. It just bugs me it doesn't work. Your right though, I am VFR, I don't need it at all. I will wait till I've got the cash to fix it.

John

I wouldn't spend money fixing a Narco. We used to have a bunch of them in the fleet, and some of them cost us more than we originally paid for them just to keep them working. Finally got rid of them all. Sure don't miss them. You'd be better off buying a used King or something reputable.

Dan

Cripes, I've owned my 37 year old airplane longer than you've been alive (bought it in 1994). My goodness. Thanks for making me feel even older...

Bob, we're not old. We're "dry aged" like all those fancy steak places have now. LOL!

Isn't that going back to the actual ancient thread, then making a post on it, so that it will jump up to the top of the first page?

It seems to me, starting an entirely new, fresh, exciting, and incredibly interesting thread such as this one, is not necro posting at all, but rather adding to our beloved POA, making our wonderful experience here even more memorable than it already is.

Of course, that is just my own, highly regarded by myself, magnificent opinion. I could be wrong though.

John

Love owner assisted annuals. Mine run about 800 .

I would ask for a discrepancy list before any repairs are done. I would want a complete list. I would also ask what it will cost to get this list. Only then would I commit on who is going to do the annual after this list is made. If you do not like the list or how it was done, find another IA to do it.

Mike Bush speaks about this in a webinar. He says never let an IA piece mill your annual. Get all the discrepancies in writing and then go over these discrepancies with the IA. If you do not like what you see or hear, get a ferry permit and find another IA.

Tony

:dunno:Do you guys realize you're responding to a four year-old thread?

Believe it or not, but it was this post that clued me in to necro. I was all about "Dude, you were sixteen like four years ago!"

Then it dawned on me to check the date stamps.

Back