Thouhgts on Taylorcraft??

I had a chance to sit in one today. I am 5'11" and about 200 pounds. I'm pretty sure I looked like a drunken monkey trying to get in and out. And once inside, I did not find it comfortable at all. My head was scraping on the headliner, and leg room was minimal. If you're a couple inches shorter and a few pounds lighter than me, it might be ok.
I'm 5' 11'' and only 140, and fit comfortably.

Ryan

Everybody looks like a drunken monkey getting in and out of small planes. Want a really good try to get in the front seat of a J-3:rofl:. The next best thing about flying a J-3 is getting out of it an hour later.

Everybody looks like a drunken monkey getting in and out of small planes. Want a really good try to get in the front seat of a J-3:rofl:. The next best thing about flying a J-3 is getting out of it an hour later.
Six or eight times a week, in a good week! It's not the greatest seat comfort wise, but it sure beats a desk!

Ryan

Six or eight times a week, in a good week! It's not the greatest seat comfort wise, but it sure beats a desk!

Ryan

Have you found a method of exit that doesn't include rolling on the ground or hanging like an ape?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, I have done that too...but I was about 13 years old, so it wasn't so bad. :D

Hi Guys- Just kicking around the idea of buying a 1946 Taylorcraft.
I don't see myself making any long flights (80-90 MPH no big deal for me) and I mostly fly over Agg land along the Gulf Coast. I can care less about bells and whistles avionics. I much rather look out the window. The Taylorcraft looks like a good fit. Under $20K and 4.5 Gallons per hour sounds good to me.

Any thoughts? The good, bad, and ugly?
I love my 1940 Taylorcraft. Its cheap on gas. I,ve owned it since the 80's. I was getting in it one day after untying the tail wheel and hit the throttle. It started going forward with me half in and almost hit the flag pole. I got smart and built a starter for it and got it STC,d. It makes it so nice to just get in, pull a lever and start it. I am a big guy about 230 # but fit fine.

Back