Thoughts on this raffle plane

I think it's a beauty!
I'd love to own it, but I'd worry about not having a hangar to keep it in....
and I wonder about the magnesium bit in the tail....

Other than it looks like Rube Goldberg designed the controls, it looks like a nice plane. A $35K cash equivalent seems low.

I've seen the throw over yokes before, but never thought to ask, can you do it safely in flight?

You’ve got to really want to win a vintage Bonanza. On the plus side, fabric ruddervators. On the minus side is an electric prop and the piano key switches, among other things.

And you’re going to be polishing aluminum.

I've seen the throw over yokes before, but never thought to ask, can you do it safely in flight?

Yes, but not really considered a dual control for training purposes. It flips over rather easily, but you wouldn't want to be doing it during a critical phase of flight or under duress.

I'd totally take that plane.

The real question is - how many of these raffle places are legit?

Just what I need - a vintage Beechcraft that's more costly and difficult to maintain than the one I already have. I'm afraid it's a beautiful shiny money hole.

("No damage history?" Since 1948?! Baloney.)

You bet! The only time I have ever handled the controls of a Bo was when my former partner was demonstrating his new (to him) '47 model. Without
warning, he handed the yoke over to me. Surprise! - but it worked quite nicely. That was about 45 years ago.

Dave

Good enough for Buddy Holly, good enough for me.

Too soon?

I'd totally take that plane.

The real question is - how many of these raffle places are legit?

That’s what I’m thinking, hey let’s have 4000 paid entries, you can also get a free entry if you mail a letter (why is that?), then who picks the winner? Bob picks his brother or cousin or colleague? (I’ve seen that happen before). If there was an independent third party who did the drawing or some computer draw, maybe that’s better, where all entries are shown (in case someone has too many?)

You bet! The only time I have ever handled the controls of a Bo was when my former partner was demonstrating his new (to him) '47 model. Without
warning, he handed the yoke over to me. Surprise! - but it worked quite nicely. That was about 45 years ago.

Dave

Thought this was back in 1947 when I read the “new” part. :D

Back