Thoughts on straight tail Cessna 172

You cannot apply 14 CFR Part 23 to a CAR 3 certified aircraft.

The 172 was certified under CAR 3 rules, That's true but when you upgrade the aircraft on STCs such as the engine and avionics the FAA will require you to comply with FAR 23 Requirements for both design, and installation.

That GPS and engine are on STCs which require they be designed, installed, and operated under FAR 23 rules.

The Lack of a CDI installed, tells me the GPS doesn't comply.

The 172 was certified under CAR 3 rules, That's true but when you upgrade the aircraft on STCs such as the engine and avionics the FAA will require you to comply with FAR 23 Requirements for both design, and installation..

Partially true. While the modified components fall under 14 CFR 23 the rest of the plane still is operated under CAR 3.

Please show a reference for such a claim.

That GPS and engine are on STCs which require they be designed, installed, and operated under FAR 23 rules.

For the modifications yes, but not the entire airframe. The airframe still falls under CAR 3.

Last edited:
Partially true. While the modified components fall under 14 CFR 23 the rest of the plane still is operated under CAR 3.

Please show a reference for such a claim.

For the modifications yes, but not the entire airframe. The airframe still falls under CAR 3.

You made that point before.

Have you ever seen the requirements for getting an STC? Does the manufacturing side of the FSDO require you to comply with CAR 3 or FAR 23?

You made that point before.

Have you ever seen the requirements for getting an STC? Does the manufacturing side of the FSDO require you to comply with CAR 3 or FAR 23?

If there is a requirement then it has a procedure outlined in an Order or a JA (job aid).

Please show us a reference to your assertion.

And yes, I participated in an STC on a Hughes 269 helicopter. Never saw what you are claiming.

And there is no "manufacturing side" of the FSDO. There is however a MIDO Office (Manufacturing Inspection District Office). MIDO's act as there own entities not associated with FSDO. They are the ones along with the different directorates responsible for issuing STC's.

For another grand, you can get a whole 172 to yourself.
This ad appeared in my local newspaper "1967 Cessna 172 12HR since OH, new shaft, 2 yr. paint, new 720 com, rec. annual $20 K hangared" This was followed by another ad "J-# Cub rec. rebuild, new engine $18K"

Anybody want me to go check it out? (No charge) email me: rckenyon@ymail.com

Back