Thoughts on Rotax engines?

What kind of fuel burn were you seeing in the 503. I found one spec sheet that said 6.8 gph which kind of surprised me.....particularly since the plane I am looking at only has an 8 gallon tank.

Yeah that seems really high. I was closer to about 3-3.5 +/- gph.

Geico, your information has gotten stale.

I'm too lazy to look uo the year, but I know that the 503 switched to Ducati dual ignition for several years before they stopped making them at all. I have two 503 powered Flightstar Spyders and they are both dual ignition.

I would agree. The airplane I am looking at clearly has the dual ignition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Maybe I should have said check the ignition and make sure it is not the old points system. They did have many models and upgrades, but eventually discontinued production in favor of the Blue Head 582 The electronic ignitions are far superior and reliable.

They are reasonable safe if you know what you are doing with them. They need to be re-jetted based on egt temps, ect.

What plane is the engine in?

Last edited:
arning?
Graham Lee Nieuport 11

Now that is just too damn cool. Wow, what a great plane. Is it flying or a project?

If you go into the project with eyes wide open. Get some SERIOUS engine maintenance training ( Lockwood, Rainbow Aviation, Ect. ) you'll have more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. (What ever that means. :confused:) And keep to a GOOD maintenance program and stick to it. NO short cuts. When you time out a crank replace it or the engine.

What is your reason for buying it? Project, pleasure, learning, group buy?

Last edited:
arning?

Now that is just too damn cool. Wow, what a great plane. Is it flying or a project?

If you go into the project with eyes wide open. Get some SERIOUS engine maintenance training ( Lockwood, Rainbow Aviation, Ect. ) you'll have more fun than a barrel full of monkeys. (What ever that means. :confused:) And keep to a GOOD maintenance program and stick to it. NO short cuts. When you time out a crank replace it or the engine.

What is your reason for buying it? Project, pleasure, learning, group buy?

It is a flying one. Buying strictly for pleasure. I have always had an interest in WWI aviation. If you have followed any of my other threads in the past few months, I settled on the Nieuport idea as a compromise. I started with the idea that I would sell my 170 and buy an SNJ. My wife didn't like that idea, so then we started looking into Wacos (wife liked the biplane idea until she flew in one). Then I realized if I went with something like a Nieuport, I could have the fun biplane experience AND keep the 170 for considerably cheaper than it would cost me to keep the SNJ. Plus, the Nieuport will fit in the same T-hangar with the 170......I just have to learn a new way of operating an engine. If this pans out, will definitely look into the maintenance training. The one I am currently looking at has a little over 100hrs on the engine. If I get it, I will probably run it to TBO and then change it out for a 582 (appear to be about the same total weight)

It is a flying one. Buying strictly for pleasure. I have always had an interest in WWI aviation. If you have followed any of my other threads in the past few months, I settled on the Nieuport idea as a compromise. I started with the idea that I would sell my 170 and buy an SNJ. My wife didn't like that idea, so then we started looking into Wacos (wife liked the biplane idea until she flew in one). Then I realized if I went with something like a Nieuport, I could have the fun biplane experience AND keep the 170 for considerably cheaper than it would cost me to keep the SNJ. Plus, the Nieuport will fit in the same T-hangar with the 170......I just have to learn a new way of operating an engine. If this pans out, will definitely look into the maintenance training. The one I am currently looking at has a little over 100hrs on the engine. If I get it, I will probably run it to TBO and then change it out for a 582 (appear to be about the same total weight)

Sounds like a fun project.:yesnod:..

My suggestion would be to adhere to the TBO and replace the motor with a BRAND new one each time it hits that mark. For 2 strokes the Rotax engines are probably the best ones out there. It is just the nature of the beast to have them wear out as the RPM's kill any motor. Short term failures consist of pistons, PTO ends of the crank and a few other weak spots in the assembly. Long term the case halves fret real bad so rebuilding a run out motor is not a good idea. I have 6 snowmobiles and the Rotax will outlive any other motor. Even my open Mod sled with a Rotax 670 is pretty dependable considering it is "heavily modified" and has put out 201 HP on the dyno. That was on race gas a few years back, I have since changed the fuel system to run Methanol with 20% Nitro, god only know what the HP is now but during the summer grass drags it will click off 4.97 seconds in the 1/8 mile @ 101 mph. If you pull your carbs apart they will probably have 190 -200 main jets, for reference my mains are now 720.:eek::hairraise::yikes: I change the pistons about every 50 hours, which takes me a few years since I fly ALOT more then I sled any more.

My suggestion is to monitor the EGT , but... read the plugs to get a accurate snapshot of the combustion sequence. Once you get a nice colored plug then remember the EGT numbers and use that as a basis.

Enjoy the toy, it looks like it will be a hoot to fly.:yesnod:.

Ben.

Sounds like a fun project.:yesnod:..

My suggestion would be to adhere to the TBO and replace the motor with a BRAND new one each time it hits that mark. For 2 strokes the Rotax engines are probably the best ones out there. It is just the nature of the beast to have them wear out as the RPM's kill any motor. Short term failures consist of pistons, PTO ends of the crank and a few other weak spots in the assembly. Long term the case halves fret real bad so rebuilding a run out motor is not a good idea. I have 6 snowmobiles and the Rotax will outlive any other motor. Even my open Mod sled with a Rotax 670 is pretty dependable considering it is "heavily modified" and has put out 201 HP on the dyno. That was on race gas a few years back, I have since changed the fuel system to run Methanol with 20% Nitro, god only know what the HP is now but during the summer grass drags it will click off 4.97 seconds in the 1/8 mile @ 101 mph. If you pull your carbs apart they will probably have 190 -200 main jets, for reference my mains are now 720.:eek::hairraise::yikes: I change the pistons about every 50 hours, which takes me a few years since I fly ALOT more then I sled any more.

My suggestion is to monitor the EGT , but... read the plugs to get a accurate snapshot of the combustion sequence. Once you get a nice colored plug then remember the EGT numbers and use that as a basis.

Enjoy the toy, it looks like it will be a hoot to fly.:yesnod:.

Ben.

The nice thing is the engines and parts are cheap enough. I haven't played much with with the snowmobile engines. I had the 25hp 2cyl/2stroke Chrysler from the 70s on my Quicksilver and a Hirsh of unknown HP on my Skim Air hovercraft. I could completely go through either of them with a $250 kit back in the day which I would suspect to be 1200. A case is usually at its best after its first runs remachining and line boring. That is the the one that will stay square and low drag pretty much forever as long as you don't over heat. Then you cost your self a trip to the engine shop.;):rofl:

If it runs and flies right now, you have no need to be in fear that it will not tomorrow or anywhere really in the first 500hrs of running. AS Long AS you don't see signes of overheating. Signs of overheating on a 2 stroke mean signs fo seizure. If it did it before, it will do it again. Does he have records of Maint after the overheat?

At 500 hours I would do a full overhaul kit and machining. At 1000 hrs do a bottom end kit and check the line bore, should be good, if not, last trip to the line bore coming up. You should be able to get 2 overhauls on any of these cases and 1500 out of the cylinders then just scrap it.

Last edited:
I have always had an interest in WWI aviation.
This is so cool. Check out what people do when they have the interest in WWI aviation but not the money to buy a Neuport:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5cDGvlBY1M
(Same engine is used on some of WWI replicas, BTW -- they even had it in a major motion picture, which immortalized a WWI fighter with electric start on film by accident)

Looking for any thoughts and advice on care and feeding of Rotax engines, the 503 in particular.

Would like to hear from anyone with actual experience operating them....not looking for heresay and rumors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE ] Taptalk, Flown a rotax 503 with dual carbs for 10 years out of Puerto Rico. Only problem I had was from a primer pump leaking around shaft seal and allowing air into fuel lines at low idle speeds as when entering landing pattern. Did crash and got a broken collar out of it. If I a choice I would take the 912. Good luck.

Back