Thoughts on buying tr182rg

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
I'm curious what folks think about the tr182 rg? My intentions were to get a turbo Saratoga to take the wife and 2 kids to Colorado from Oklahoma. We originally anticipated traveling every 6-8 weeks but it looks like I may be flying between Laramie, steamboat and Tulsa on a weekly basis in the next 6 months. A lot of the flying would be just myself for work.

I have searched and narrowed my choice to the tr182rg. I like idea of my 9 year old and I punching holes in sky in it instead of the saratoga. It's less expensive every aspect. Seems to have decent payload and speed, insurance less expensive also.

Anyone provide some insight or real life experience with the aircraft?

Thanks

I'm frequently in the Laramie & Steamboat areas. Plan on driving a lot in late fall and winter. There are low altitude routes into LAR and SBS but don't push your luck with icing. The turbo retract 182 is a capable single engine aircraft much faster than my turbo Dakota. Neither aircraft is suitable for IFR in the hills...

The TR182s out there are getting old, too. I know of one that's part of a fleet and it's the hangar queen of the bunch.

While the straight-legged 182s and the straight-legged turbo 182s are out flying, the TR182 that's been babied its whole life -- is still in the shop hangar.

She's also been significantly higher on the maintenance budget. Always. When she was near new until today. (I've watched this airplane's history around here for almost 20 years.)

They keep her around because they want one turbo retract and Cessna doesn't make 'em anymore. If you need to go somewhere far away, she'll get you there a little faster.

And I definitely wouldn't purchase one that's been used as a Commercial trainer. Those are beat to hell. The last one in flight school service around here recently disappeared. I assume sold. It wasn't flying much and I didn't know a single instructor who hadn't had a gear problem in it.

When the gear warning system breaks and goes off for two hours, it's not particularly fun to listen to. Ask me how I know. ;)

I'd stay away unless you had to have a high-wing and had to have the additional speed. Look for an up-engined regular 182 if you need speed and the extra fuel burn isn't a problem on your budget. It'll last longer and fly just as fast.

Back