Thoughts and info on AA Cadet Academy

Kimberly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SoaringSmurfette
Hello all! Just wanting to get some thoughts and info on AA's Cadet Academy. Looking to submit my application by the end of the month. Currently working on my PPL and just about to start my XC flights. I've looked into the cost of the AA program and it's really no different than ATP or trying to fly a little, work a little, etc.
Has anyone on here been accepted and can shed some light on the process? The website only gives pricing, location, and training time table. If accepted, how long before you start training? Is is possible to have a part time job on the side or is it like ATP where you eat, sleep, and breathe ATP?

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
I wouldn’t lock myself down to one company with these programs - I still see no reason not to knock it all out the old fashioned way.

I wouldn’t lock myself down to one company with these programs - I still see no reason not to knock it all out the old fashioned way.
I agree that the old fashioned way has it's plus that it doesn't limit your options as far as companies. But for me, the old fashioned way is difficult when you're still trying to hold down a full time airline gig. I'm a stew based in ATL and live in MEM so I commute as well. Having to fly 100+ hours a month just to pay bills and have a few bucks left over to play in the clouds. My thought process is that getting into one of these programs would help to just knock it out. I'm not an old gal just yet, but I'm not gettin' any younger either ;)
And I wouldn't be angry if I got a gig with AA eventually, which is why the program appeals to me.

What's the old fashioned way, just applying to each job on own?

What's the old fashioned way, just applying to each job on own?

I would guess Pt 61 instruction for PPL, Instrument, Commerical, ME, and whether or not to do the CFI/-I, and then work commercially, instruct, or do both to 1,500 hrs, then apply to the airlines.

———-
Overall, if the OP has seniority to bid long(er) stretches off she could theoretically do the entire thing Pt 61, then look for paying gigs.

The AA cadet program appears to be a branded aF/CAE/CTI experience with ability to interview at PSA/Piedmont/Envoy most likely tied to you having been accept s as an Instructor at one of these programs above. There is no guarantee you’ll have the opportunity to interview for a CFI gig.

According to their webpage, this a full-time program, so I wouldn’t expect to have a side gig.

Appears to be AAs version of Delta Academy and similar flow through programs.

You’ll have to decide if the $80K plus the potential to maybe interview at an AA regional is worth it to you.

These things are not a jobs program and most definitely not the only way to an airline gig.

Back