Thought I would share another story from the scrap book

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
I finally got my scrap book out and found a brief set of notes that I wrote in pencile about my first hour of flight instruction. I will never forget that day. It is so sharp in mymind as I look at my log and scrap book.

My first log entry occured on April 18, 1959, just three days after I turned 15. It was a Saturday on a warm April day when I arrived at Lee Airport in Annapolis, MD. I was all excited and did not even consider eating lunch before I got to the airport. The nice laday who ran the little flight school: Mrs. P looked at me and said, " So you want to learn to fly" and I of couse said yes. She came back with; Well we will give you an introduction flight and see if you like it" I told her that I could hardly wait to get started.

She had this fellow come over and teach me all the "Nomenclature" on the airplane I was going to get a lesson in. He introduced me to a plane that was older than me a Taylor Craft with a Continental A65. We spent what seemed a long time on the studying all the parts and peices of this plane that I was to begin my flying life in. He told me I would be tested at the end. I began to sweat.

The Nomenclature Test was fun and got me to the next level which was to do the prefight with my assigned instructor. As I look at my log now I cannot read her name for she wrote in such small letters and it ran off the page. She was quite an intructor. She taught primary flight intruction to many pilots of of WWII. She never lost her touch. With very firm hand shake she said; We will see if you want to fly after we go up and begin." Wow she was all business and no nonsense.

We did the preflight and soon I was sitting in the T-Craft looking at the panel. The control wheels looked like they came off a ship for they were so big compared to the rest of the panel. My instructor had me look at the brake buttons on the floor in front of me and told me not to touch them enless she told me to. Shortly with a swing of the prop we were off boucing along the sod runway at Lee.

I was told to follow through on the controls and get the feel of the plane. The one time I was told to hold the brakes was the runup and being mechanical brakes like the old Bendix Coaster brake on bikes they did not hold for long. She had me do a 360 on the ground to check for traffic and said "Lets Go". I began to push the throttle in and she said "Watch your rudders" and soon with lots of ear pounding noise we clattered down that strip. I found the plane getting light on it's feet as the tail rose up. I looked at the airspeed and it was close to 50 when we rose into the air. The sights and sounds were amazing. The instructor with lots of shouting over the din of the engine and wind told me to climb to 1,000 feet and we will do turns etc.

The flight was just one hour. This is what she wrote in my log book that day; "Climb and Glides, Control Effect, Power Control, Straight and Level, Straight 8s and Radius 8s L & R S turns and Tracking Rectangular Patterns" All of this was done with lots of shouting over the noise and hand signals to complete the flight. The plane was cramped but I never felt it as we lurched and bumped through the sky.

It was over before I was ready I wanted to keep learning and flying. Soon we were on the ground and as we climbed out of the T-Craft she said" Do you want to do it again?" I said yes and she then said; " I did not scare you off then" I said no. Mrs P asked me how I liked it and I told her my heart is still up there doing S turns. That flight is etched in my mind forever. Soon I began my life as an airport kid to earn flying lessons. Along with the day I soloed this day I will never forget.

Thank you for reading and I know that many of you have some great stories about your first lesson.

John J

Thank you for reading and I know that many of you have some great stories about your first lesson.
Nice story. You were much more eloquent about your first lesson than I was. Not too long ago I looked back to see what I wrote about my first lesson. This is what I found.

Journal entry said:
11/22/1976 – OK, now for the big news. I took my first flying lesson today, and I feel predictably odd about it. Of course I was uncoordinated and spastic, but it didn’t scare me or even thrill me at all. I felt kind of dazed but normal. Well, we’ll see how it goes. I’m not backing out now, that’s for sure. I took the big step, now I’ve got to swim. Actually, I just want to go to sleep and forget it. There’s too much to remember. But I have a horticulture final tomorrow and another flying lesson on Friday so I’d better get on the ball.
So I guess it was a bit of an anticlimactic beginning for me...

I'd be interested in hearing what other people's first impressions were.

I do remember feeling I could never catch up or should I say I was way behind the instructor who was yelling and lots of hand waving for the noise of the Old T-Craft over came us both.

You note says it so well for I do remember feeling like a lost sole trying to keep up with the instructor who was barking orders with lots of hand waving. I feel the engine with its ear pounding noise, ruled the day as I look back on it and yes we both survived.

John J

I remember thinking, as we lifted off for my discovery flight, "What the H### am I doing here?!!!!!" I remember when we landed thinking, "When can I do that AGAIN?!!!"

Neat story. Things have changed a bit since then, eh?

I remember thinking, as we lifted off for my discovery flight, "What the H### am I doing here?!!!!!" I remember when we landed thinking, "When can I do that AGAIN?!!!"

Neat story. Things have changed a bit since then, eh?

Wow I do not know how to begin. I am flying a plane today that just intimidates me so much; It has AOA which to me is a wonderfull tool to fly but the moving map and gosh knows I miss my chart, watch and compass. Anything to make flying safe is a great thing and I am learning all over again.

John J

John it has been a while where have you been? I missed your posts. Your stories are just fantastic.

Eloquent or not, it's wise to jot down notes on every flight. I kept a pretty thorough journal of my entire PP program and most of the flights since; been typing them up and posting them on the Simviation website, and it's neat to re-live all those flights. Others seem to enjoy reading them, too.
Really gives your time as a pilot some depth, even if you've only been at it a short while.

Great writeup BTW, John... wish I'd started in a T-Craft! :D

Flight Journal....June 2005

WOW! Lesson No. 1 in the book with .9 hours in the log. After following all the checklists I was soon taxing out. I really think the flight sim helped with being ready for instruments in the cockpit. I took the controls shortly after takeoff

We reviewed procedures and checklists and I got an explanation of gauges, throttle and mixture settings. Lesson one included trimming out the aircraft, turning left and right, descents and climbing. I really did surprise myself with nice steady 15 to 20 degree banking and holding altitude very steady. Holding the controls felt great, nice and gentle with an easy grip. We located the Airport (KMIV) and headed back, crossing the field at 1500 and turning back to enter the downwind of RW 28 at 45 degrees.

Dave (instructor) took control as we turned base then final for our landing. Once on the ground and clear of the active, I taxied while reviewing the checklists in my head as we neared our tie down on the ramp. What a fun flight and it just made me want it even more !!! I am sure I missed typing all the specific details discussed and may have left out a checklist or two. ( Dave was very detailed) It was busy in there for this first timer while still trying to soak up all the precious seconds of seat time.

I'm already looking forward to next week’s lessons.

it's neat to re-live all those flights.
...especially 30 years later when you have never gone back and reviewed what you had written in the interim. There are things that I still recall and other things that I can't remember happening even if I try.

I don't have a journal entry on mine. I've told the story before on how I decided to start flying (it's all Missa's fault), but here's more what I remember of the first lesson.

It was a September Saturday. I'd never met my instructor before, and on the phone he seemed... interesting. I was sitting in the FBO with my borrowed headset waiting for him to show up. About 10 minutes late, in comes this relatively short, balding man with worn mechanic's hands, and says "Are you Ted?" This will be interesting.

Very quickly I realized that this was absolutely who I wanted to be my instructor. We went through preflighting the plane. This first time was more him showing me how to preflight it, with me following along, and explaining what he was doing.

We fired up the 172. He made all the radio calls, and we took off runway 12 to head out to the practice area, where it was an introduction to the basics. I remember seeing the ground go away as we took off and thinking "Wow... that ground is a long ways down." I still get that feeling today when I first get up to around 8000 AGL in the little plane, but it goes away much quicker.

He explained to me basics and demonstrated things for me to do. All the stuff that today is automatic and I don't even need to think about. After about an hour we landed (which was him landing with me following through). It was a great time. I asked "So when's our next lesson?" and he said "What're you doing tomorrow?" Lesson #2 is another story. By that point I was excited about it, although through the beginning phases I was never as excited as most of the people here have been. Really, it's amazing that I ever bothered to start learning to fly. Today I'm very glad I've taken this path.

Driving back home from the first lesson, at first I tried steering my car with my feet (and quickly realized this wouldn't work well). That's the only time I've done that, but it was funny for me at the time.

My instructor got a nice log book for me the next day. He told me about a month ago (and 90 hours later) that most of his first students he just gets the tiny log books. He got the nice one for me because he knew after that first lesson that I was going to fill it up. So far, I've proven him right.

John et al, thanks for the stories!

Adam:

Thank you very much for your kind note. It is nice to be back again. I was working almost 24 x 7 on my "Day Job" and getting my book published but now the "Day Job" is done. Now I can write, learn and even fly some again.

Rottadaddy, Gary, Everskyward and to all who have posted here it is nice to see so many keeping scrap books, Journals to share. I got my inspiration when I read Anne Morrow Linbergh's "North to The Orient" and my Instructor of many years ago. They were the "spark plugs" that got me going.
We as pilots have so much to share with others and I learn from all pilots whether they have one hour or 50,000 hours.

The T-Craft I did manage to tame it and yes I did take my first Duel X-C in it. But there is a story about that T-Craft I will share with you soon in another short story.

Thank you all for reading

John J

OK, I can't resist- I had a discovery flight and a little stick time in a J-3 prior to this, but it was my first "real" lesson... if anyone wants to read 'em all, just look in the "Real Aviation" forums here:

http://simviation.com/menu.html

Flight #3
10-24-94

-FIRST ENROLLED FLIGHT SCHOOL LESSON-

1979 C-172N
TEB
Teterboro, NJ
Local

0.8 dual

"The 4 fundamentals, preflight procedures, intro"

I've finally decided to go for it!! Walking into the FAA building at Teterboro, I notice that all the lights are out. Inside the school's windowless office, I see a few annoyed instructors fumbling about with flashlights, and behind one such beam of light I spy E., who'd been the first instructor to pounce on me when I last walked through this door, shopping for a flight school. We're scheduled for a lesson today.
"Well", he says cheerfully, "The main transformer blew- the entire airport has no power, not even tower radar.
But we can fly anyway; it's VFR, and the tower radios are working. Let's go."

The 150 I'd been so attracted to last time (mostly for budgetary reasons) is grounded with radio trouble today, so my first "real" lesson will be provided with the help of a somewhat crusty Cessna 172.
E. takes care of the radio chores, clearing us for taxi and then takeoff. He tells me he'll also handle takeoff and climbout, then she'll be mine, all mine, rudder and all... until it's time to land!!

Sure enough, in just a few minutes, I'm in full control, technically speaking, of my first Skyhawk, attempting my first proper maneuvers over a surreal map of my childhood stomping grounds, Bergen and Rockland counties. But sightseeing and looking for houses and places from my youth is out of the question right now; the whole experience of handling an airplane in flight again is a bit much as it is.
Our headsets are on the floor in the back, as this airplane's comm jacks are not working; the engine, once started, seems oud enought to be a distraction.
The sun is very bright, also- and of course I've forgotten my sunglasses.
E. starts talking a mile a minute, explaining what seems to be far too much... he will later tell me that this is standard procedure; the student is not expected to grasp it all immediately, but sort of soak it in through repetition.
There are three small airports in the immediate vicinity, and on this fine day, all of them have sent up a swarm of other students, novices, and "weekend warriors" who happen to have Monday off.
Working with the handheld mic and the overhead speaker to communicate, we head off to the practice area with everyone else, here underneath one of the busiest controlled airspaces in the world...
Lifting a wing to clear before turning, I see a twin streak past, close enough to make an impression that will linger.
"I'm not sure I'll ever get the hang of spotting other traffic- they all seem so low..."
"It's right there", says E. of another plane he's spotted.
"Uuuuhhhh.... no."
"Down there; right there. See it?"
"Oh, yeah... I though it was a truck!"

This is not so easy...I really have to pay attention to what's going on out there as well as in here.
Despite all that, I do well. I discover that turning from heading to heading, without skidding or losing altitude, is something I can do fairly well. The only thing I botch is levelling off from a climb- but not too badly.
E. offers a good amount of encouragement, but when it's time to land, he insists on taking over.
We enter the Class D without a radar ident, but we're talking to Tower on the radio, and as E. enters the pattern, we see the VASI lights wink on: power has been restored.
E. shoots a very nice approach and lands the Skyhawk deftly.
Before leaving, I buy the entire Jeppeson student kit, in preparation for groundschool: plotter, computer, syllabus, textbooks, FAR/AIM, etc. With a logbook and sump cup, the grand total is over $100. That's over an hour of dual time, but no matter. Gotta get this stuff sooner or later...
I'm in now, head-first. I decide to try to go up again next week, and at least once a week thereafter. It'd be cheaper in the long run to wait until I can buy a block of time at a discount, but I'm willing to sacrifice some savings for the sake of making some headway.

Teterboro must have been a lot different then than it is now...
It was just starting to really change... but yeah, nowadays when I drive by there I rarely even see a light twin parked or operating there, let alone a light single.
In the "old days" it was a pretty good mix of traffic; very educational for primary students.

Roddydaddy;

Very nice story and brings back memories of flying into Teterboro on charters and ferry flights during the 1960's. i would try to get in and parked before the Yellow Truck from the Port Authority would pull up to get the 5 dollar landing fee. The last time I was there was in 1987 in a Turbo Arrow and I was number 12 for take off on a Sunday afternoon. I was the only single piston in line for 24 and that line went on forever.

Great story and thanks for sharing

John J

Roddydaddy;

Very nice story and brings back memories of flying into Teterboro on charters and ferry flights during the 1960's. i would try to get in and parked before the Yellow Truck from the Port Authority would pull up to get the 5 dollar landing fee. The last time I was there was in 1987 in a Turbo Arrow and I was number 12 for take off on a Sunday afternoon. I was the only single piston in line for 24 and that line went on forever.

Great story and thanks for sharing

John J
Heck, I have better Teterboro stories than the one posted here... ! ;)

Heck, I have better Teterboro stories than the one posted here... ! ;)

I would love to read them. Teterboro has so much history for it was one of the early airports around NYC. That airport has always been a love and a " gee I don't want to fly in here any more" I even flew to Rampo Valley (scary at the time) to avoid a landing fee for a customer. That is another story.

John J

I'd be interested in hearing what other people's first impressions were.

I just remember sitting at the first stop light after leaving the airport and looking at the guy in the car next to me and thinking, "You, sir, are a mere mortal. *I* just flew an airplane." :D

OK, after a lot of digging, I found my write-up for my 2nd "intro flight" (the first one I took was at MWC when I worked there and couldn't really afford to fly, this one was the beginning of real flight training.)

--

1.6 hours: February 14, 2003

I wanted to get a professional opinion on continuing my flight training with my odd schedule, and decided to go to Wisconsin Aviation to speak with a CFI. I called ahead by a little bit, and they scheduled me to speak with the flight school manager. I just knew I couldn't resist, and asked if they had any planes available. Sure enough, a C172 would be coming back about the time that I got there, so it'd be nice and warm too. I was so psyched I completely missed the turn for the errand I was going to run on the way there, so I just kept driving and got to the airport a half hour early. Phil was available immediately, so we sat down and talked for a bit about my odd schedule and other concerns. He told me pretty much exactly what I was expecting him to, so we moved on to the instruction portion of our meeting.

He began with a small model of an airplane, pointing out the basic parts. I stopped him after a bit and explained that I already knew the things he was telling me, and that between being an AOPA member, a former lineman, and doing a lot of my own studying that I was way ahead of the average low-time student in terms of ground knowledge. After I completed a few of his sentences, he was satisfied and we headed out to the ramp.

Our steed for the day was N6454J, a red and white Cessna 172. I put my headset on the seat and opened Phil's door. He retreived the fuel sampler from the seat pocket and we began the preflight inspection routine at the pilot's door. He started by pointing out a lot of things that I already knew: Static port, vent holes, pitot tube, stall warning sensor, etc. He drained some fuel from the left wing and it looked good so I crawled up to dump it back in and check the fuel level and cap. Then we checked the wing, ailerons (pushrods, counterweights) and flaps. Phil does not lower the flaps for the preflight, for good reason: It helps to drain the battery in the winter, and the plane will fly if the flaps don't work, as long as they're secure.

We continued around the rest of the plane, checking the tires, brake lines and pads, luggage door, rudder and elevator (linkages), the other wing and fuel tank, fuel strainer, oil level, and prop. Finally, we got in the plane. I adjusted the seat, plugged in the headset, and started on the interior portion of the preflight checklist.

We briefly discussed communications: Since I was used to the communications at a class D airport, I needed to know some of the differences, for instance "What do you need to tell Departure when you contact them?" Whereas the class D only requires that you contact ground and then tower (e.g. "Timmerman Ground, Cessna 736AR on the north ramp, ready to taxi for VFR northbound, with Juliet" and later "Timmerman Tower, Cessna 736AR holding short of runway 15L, ready for departure") the class C ATC requires four frequencies: Clearance Delivery ("Madison Clearance, Cessna 6454J, VFR departure to the northwest at 3,000" plus a readback of the clearance they give you); Ground ("Madison Ground, Cessna 6454J on the east ramp, ready to taxi"); Tower ("Madison Tower, Cessna 6454J holding short of Runway 32, ready for departure"); and finally Departure ("Madison Departure, Cessna 6454J climing through one thousand nine hundred"). Since you're being passed around between controllers and they don't need to know everything, I wanted to make sure I wasn't yakking on the radio more than necessary.

We listened to the ATIS, which was reporting winds from 030 at 12, good runway conditions, altimeter 30.03 (which I set immediately), and that runways 3, 32, and 36 were all in use with Land And Hold Short Operations in effect. Yow. Luckily as a student I don't have to deal with LAHSO, and I don't think I'd want to unless I was quite familiar with the airport.

Finally, I made the call to Clearance, who told me to maintain at or below 3,000 and squawk 0434 as well as giving me the departure frequency. (Phil did the tuning, I did the talking.) I switched to Ground and they had us taxi to Runway 32. When I first started moving the plane, the instinct to steer with my hands came back, even though I know better. Also, it seemed like the left pedal just dropped right to the floor after a second. In fact, I thought Phil was pressing on it. Well, he wasn't and before you know it we were pointed a little too far towards the plane next to us on the ramp. He helped me get it moving in the right direction and we headed for 32. After doing the run-up tests, I contacted the tower and we were immediately cleared for takeoff. I moved the plane over to the centerline, slowly pushed the throttle all the way in, and we were on our way.

I had gotten so much praise after my first flight that I knew I needed an ego check. Phil probably even knew this after our discussion inside, but he smartly held his tongue and let the plane do the talking! The plane flew quite a bit different than the 172XP I used for my last flight, which kind of surprised me. Well, the departure was less than pretty. The takeoff roll was mostly OK, moved just a couple of feet off the centerline. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. Whether I was just too overwhelmed with excitement or if it was some other problem I don't know, but I rotated a little later than I should have, didn't put in enough right rudder on rotation, and pulled into a too-steep climb as I fought to stay on the extended centerline in the rough air. Ego checked? Check.

Through Phil's gentle instructions, I heard the tower hand us off to departure. I got my wits about me and made the call to departure, who let us go our own way. The air smoothed out a bit above 2,000 feet and I got the plane firmly back under my control. We headed northwest and continued climbing. Phil pointed out the town of Dane, which is at the edge of the Madison class C airspace. Once out of the class C, he had me do a few turns, mostly 180-degree ones going back and forth between east and west. For some reason I was really having trouble keeping the ball centered, and I had Phil take the controls briefly to see if they were acting properly. He felt the pull to the right also, so at least it wasn't just me! We moved on to climbs and descents and experimented with the effects of wing flaps for a couple of minutes, all the while turning back and forth in the practice area, running mostly in an east-west line back and forth over Lodi. Then he pointed out Dane again and told me to head for it. I made some comment about quitting so soon and asked if we could do a couple of stalls before we headed back. Phil was very accommodating and we turned around (west) once again. Phil demonstrated a stall and then I did one.

An approaching snowstorm put an end to our day, as clouds rolled in from the west and visibility deteriorated rapidly. We headed towards Dane and I contacted approach. "54J, fly heading 150, vectors to runway 3." My first vector! I acknowledged and turned to 150. Things were starting to click, and I had no problem holding heading and altitude as we entered the Madison airspace. Flying roughly over Waunakee I was given a new vector (130) and then a minute or so later was told to fly my own heading. By this point we were very close to Lake Mendota, and I used the lake as a reference to spot the airport.

Things just kept getting better: I was hoping to be able to land the plane this time, but figured I'd have to do a bunch of stalls and ground-reference maneuvers first. However, Phil told me that he'd simply do a lot of talking and keep his hands near the controls, adding pressure if I screwed something up. Approach handed us back to the tower, who immediately cleared us to land on Runway 3 even though we were still several minutes away from touchdown. Phil guided me through the approach, and I was pleased when I rolled out almost perfectly onto the extended centerline. We were coming in quite high, but at such a large airport that's not much of a problem due to the long runways. We got down near the ground and I began the flare, sure that I was going to have a great landing. I leveled off near the ground and held it off, keeping it off the ground just as I had read about and how Phil was telling me to do it. I was thinking how great it was to be landing the plane and seemingly doing a great job at it, so the plane decided to give me another ego check: WHUMP! We dropped the last couple of feet to the runway suddenly. I now know that my peripheral vision isn't as good at depth perception as I thought... However, I did get to land the plane, and it was a great landing according to an old aviation adage: "A good landing is any one you can walk away from. A great landing is one where they can use the plane again." It wasn't a bone-jarring landing, not pretty either, but for my very first landing I'll take it. Just good enough to make me feel good about it, but just bad enough to keep my ego in check too!

During the landing roll, the tower instructed us to take a right on Charlie and stay with them. I made the turn and taxied back to the ramp and lined the plane up right in front of its parking spot. I quickly ran through the engine shutdown checklist and we pushed the plane back into its spot and called it a day.

Today's lessons: The control pressures are much lighter on the less-powerful 172 so it's easy to let the plane get away from you a little bit and not hold altitude. 172's act funny when taxiing because the nosewheel and pedals are connected by bungees. Comms are more concise at Class C's because they're "spread out" between more controllers. Milwaukee has much better landmarks than Madison to mark off the practice area. Weather moves in quickly. Phil is a great instructor and I wish I could use him for all my training. (He's a pilot examiner and cannot test his own students, so he doesn't take them on to begin with.) A frozen lake would be an excellent place to land in an emergency.

Teterboro has so much history for it was one of the early airports around NYC.
Growing up in NJ I had heard of Teterboro. However, I didn't learn to fly until I had moved across the country so I never landed there until many years later. Wasn't there some kind of song about Teterboro tower?

Found it...

Kent;
A very nice write up. you shure covered a lot of ground for your first flight. Having to fly in and out of a Class C airport and learning to fly at the same time is quite a challenge. I had no radio which made it real easy.

Thanks for the story

John J

Growing up in NJ I had heard of Teterboro. However, I didn't learn to fly until I had moved across the country so I never landed there until many years later. Wasn't there some kind of song about Teterboro tower?

Found it...

The song is great and thank you so much for finding it. That song came out the year I got my pp and I do remember hearing the gang at the airport talk about it. I don't remember the arraingements but the lyrics come right back. Teterboro is the airport that Author Godfrey use to fly into daily from Leesburg, VA.

Thank you

John J

I knew the song under the alternate "Itazuke Tower" from someone's podcast. I love it!

And Kent, that was a great writeup. Seeing you get an ego check. Rare! :)

And Kent, that was a great writeup. Seeing you get an ego check. Rare! :)

Yeah, well, I'm just that good!

(See, I checked, and I obviously have an ego! Ba-dump bump! :rofl:)

Actually, that brings up an interesting thought. I really like N271G now that I have well over 200 hours in her, but now I'm thinking I need a new challenge, and another ego check. :yes: Time to find that Swift... :eek: ;)

I would love to read them. Teterboro has so much history for it was one of the early airports around NYC. That airport has always been a love and a " gee I don't want to fly in here any more" I even flew to Rampo Valley (scary at the time) to avoid a landing fee for a customer. That is another story.

John J

Ah, Ramapo... It was still open when I was a kid- why I never rode my bike over there (from Spring Valley) I'll never know- I used to see planes occasionally that must have been departing or arriving Ramapo.

Ah, Ramapo... It was still open when I was a kid- why I never rode my bike over there (from Spring Valley) I'll never know- I used to see planes occasionally that must have been departing or arriving Ramapo.

Rottydaddy; It was a a "very interesting little airport" I remeber landing to the west over the wires and getting the plane on the ground before the up hill part of the runway. If the wind was close to calm you took off toward the east for the runway and rising trees toward the west was not a good thing in an underpowered plane. I loved that airport and of course the Hudson Valley. There is an airport in Northern NJ that you might know about and that is Aero Flex Andover. Short runway next to a lake. That was a favorite for me.

John J

Back