This year or Next?

benb172

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Benb172
So I have been wanting to go to Oshkosh for a long time now. Is it worth going this year with all the cancellations? Seems like the list gets longer each day. I can only go one year, so should I got to this one or wait it out for next year?

Go, its a great show. It will be fine even with the cancellations. There is so much to see and so many who show up. If the weather and schedule work out this year go! Who know what may happen next year. You could be unable to fly. The POTUS might attend and shut the whole thing down. Go!

Cancellations?

First of all, 0.08% of Oshkosh is the airshow.

Of that 0.08%, 0.2% is modern military stuff that might be cancelled.

Do the math. Oshkosh will be unaffected by sequestration, unless the FAA bends EAA over for the controllers. Even then, that's a money issue, not a quality of show issue.

Go now. Do not wait. Life is way too unpredictable to blow something this important off for a year.

Like Jay said -

I love it just for all the PEOPLE!

Jay is right. The biggest loss I believe was that they were going to get the Thunderbirds this year, but they've never had them in the past, and from talking to people in the past, the problem with the tbirds and the blues at Oshkosh is do the location in town, they can't get the proper aerobatic box they need for the regular shows. I was flying the Warbird arrival last year when Blue 7 did it's overhead break in front of me.

Ok. Good to know. Thanks for all of the advice.

Ok. Good to know. Thanks for all of the advice.

You're welcome

This is something that many people don't grasp until they've attended OSH. It's NOT an "airshow" -- it's a week-long "convention" that has daily airshows.

Most "airshows" are all about the military aircraft, because they make lots of noise, which thrills the NASCAR crowd to no end.

At OSH, the occasional military jet performance is fun, but IMHO that is vastly overshadowed by the rest of the show. The forums, displays, vendors, and 10,000 airplanes (along with their pilots and families) are what OSH is all about -- not the T-birds.

I don't think I've attended the actual air show in some years, other than to watch it while I drink beer at my camp site.

Back