This weekends Pilot n Paws trip

ryoung99

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
Since getting my Tiger at the end of May, I have logged 20+ hours, with 15 of them doing Pilot n Paws missions. One of the reasons I wanted to get the plane was to do charitable work. The mission on Sunday turned out to be more special than I could have ever imagined.

A couple of weeks ago there was a post searching for a ride for 2 Dalmations from SoCal to Livermore, CA. The headline stated the owner was dying. Unfortunately I was not able to do the trip two weekends ago, so we scheduled it for last weekend (yesterday). Once I agreed to the trip, I found out that one of the dogs did not have use of his hind legs and would have a diaper as he had troubles "holding it". To say the least I was not excited. Given the size of my Grumman there was no way to move two Dalmations and have a crate, they would have to be strapped into the back seat (oh what a mess, I thought). Since I said I would do it, I lived up to my word.

Yesterday morning I received a text from the organizer letting me know that the drop off would be very emotional. The individuals dropping them off are close to the owner and this is a very difficult thing to do, but it was her final wish was for her two "babies" to find a good home. Once the dogs were loaded they asked me to call them when I had arrived in Livermore, which I did.

The two of them were great to fly with, not a peep, not an accident or anything (other than alot of shedding). One of them did not want to leave the plane, I think he wanted me to take him back to "mommy". In fact once we got him out he kept heading back to the plane, it was sad.

Last night I received a text from the organizer thanking me for the flight, and informing me that moments after finding out her "babies" were safe in their new home she passed on. I can not explain in words how I felt at that moment when I realized that we had played a role in delivering on someones final wish. The efforts of PnP, the organizers and rescuers all paid off and gave her the peace she was looking for.

I feel so blessed to have been able to participate and be a small part in making a real difference for someone. This sure gives the mission a higher meaning.

KCCO

Rick

Since getting my Tiger at the end of May, I have logged 20+ hours, with 15 of them doing Pilot n Paws missions. One of the reasons I wanted to get the plane was to do charitable work. The mission on Sunday turned out to be more special than I could have ever imagined.

A couple of weeks ago there was a post searching for a ride for 2 Dalmations from SoCal to Livermore, CA. The headline stated the owner was dying. Unfortunately I was not able to do the trip two weekends ago, so we scheduled it for last weekend (yesterday). Once I agreed to the trip, I found out that one of the dogs did not have use of his hind legs and would have a diaper as he had troubles "holding it". To say the least I was not excited. Given the size of my Grumman there was no way to move two Dalmations and have a crate, they would have to be strapped into the back seat (oh what a mess, I thought). Since I said I would do it, I lived up to my word.

Yesterday morning I received a text from the organizer letting me know that the drop off would be very emotional. The individuals dropping them off are close to the owner and this is a very difficult thing to do, but it was her final wish was for her two "babies" to find a good home. Once the dogs were loaded they asked me to call them when I had arrived in Livermore, which I did.

The two of them were great to fly with, not a peep, not an accident or anything (other than alot of shedding). One of them did not want to leave the plane, I think he wanted me to take him back to "mommy". In fact once we got him out he kept heading back to the plane, it was sad.

Last night I received a text from the organizer thanking me for the flight, and informing me that moments after finding out her "babies" were safe in their new home she passed on. I can not explain in words how I felt at that moment when I realized that we had played a role in delivering on someones final wish. The efforts of PnP, the organizers and rescuers all paid off and gave her the peace she was looking for.

I feel so blessed to have been able to participate and be a small part in making a real difference for someone. This sure gives the mission a higher meaning.

KCCO

Rick

Well done!

I first found out about pilots and paws in GA, some guy pulls up in a 210 loaded to the gills with kennels, of loaded a small army of pups and kittens, I walked up to talk to him and really fell in love with the mission.

Now that said, a few of those critters puked and pooped up some god awful smell in that 210. I said I'd BFR or IPC any member for free, but just couldn't do that smell for a whole flight.

Great organization!

Back