This was a first...

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
So today, I took my son to Lake Texoma State Park (F31), on the Oklahoma side of the lake. We flew in the club Cherokee, a positively delightful 1967 180; I am even used to the trim crank above my head.

Anyway, after a fun couple of hours at the fun park (he is finally old enough and big enough to drive the go carts, so we raced and he "beat" me), we headed on back.

Traffic into ADS was biz-zy, with all sorts headed in including a bunch of jets. I stayed high and fast which, when you're headed in from the north usually gets you in quicker, and today was no exception. I had but one turn for sequencing, and was told that my traffic was the "Citation at one o'clock, follow him on in." Which I did.

Tower and approach were doing a masterful job of threading in arrivals from the south between those from the north and east with tight patterns, and the pilots were doing their part, too.

So I followed this Citation, and I knew that there was another one behind me, too, so I was not gonna slow it until I had to. I mean really, I'm a fixed-gear Cherokee!

But he actually ended up asking me to slow it down, which I did, then the Citation landed rather long, and with 7,000' of runway, I was also ready to land just a *little* long, to allow the CJ time to get off of the runway. I saw him turn off, "clear to land," and I was down and off in a heartbeat, across the taxiway and a u-turn to wait for the Citation to taxi back by (nice wave to Tommy from the jet), and taxied back to where the Citation that followed me was waiting for me to turn off (another nice wave from the stud in the jet to the kid in the Cherokee).

Just a fun day-o-flying, heat, bumps & all.

===

By the way, you ever notice when you're following traffic on final how it looks like they are really low? It sure looked that way for the Citation today. Just a thought...

Sounds like fun. I really love flying in Texas, and I enjoy Addison, too. Threading yourself in with other traffic can be a blast, if you're visual and you're used to it! In the Saratoga, it isn't a problem because you can easily fly final as fast as they like, and it doesn't take all that long to slow down. In the C172, I've gone as fast as 120 KIAS, and let me tell you, with all the noise and bumps it felt a hell of lot faster than the 160 KIAS we were doing in the 'Toga!

Spike is this the place we have considered as a fly-in for the POA; if so, do you think (or still think) it would be suitable?

Good job on the arrival into ADS - I'm sure you helped everyone by being so accomodating on speeds and technique.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Spike is this the place we have considered as a fly-in for the POA; if so, do you think (or still think) it would be suitable?

Dave, it is not, although I was thinking yesterday that it could have modest potential for that use. One gains the paving on the strip.

It (F31) is part of the Lake Texoma State Park, and has a "lodge" which is run by the state (think, "motel"), as well as the fun park there for the kiddies and a golf course adjacent to the airstrip. I imagine a lot would depend upon how accommodating the park management felt like being. The lodge is walking distance from the airstrip, but I would not want to walk it in weather like we are having now. Runway is lighted, as well, although the Airnav listing claims that the rotating beacon is OTS.

On the other hand, I think the real opportunity is and remains to do it at Cedar Mills (3T0), which is on the Texas side of Texoma (Texoma's a huge lake), and has 3,000' of well-groomed grass. For various reasons, I think the paved runway at F31 has enough "character" that most pilots would choose the grass at Cedar Mills first. Landing south (18), with the prevailing winds, the runway is significantly downhill, and taking off, there is a significant period during which you are climbing and knowing, "there ain't no easy place to put 'er down." At Cedar Mills (chcek the pic at Airnav), you almost always take off over the lake, and the runway is unobstructed into the lake, so worst case is you get wet, while the twin-mill drivers have a certified obstacle-free zone over which they may sweat.

I promised I'd check up on quantity of available and appropriate lodging at Cedar Mills, and by golly I shall.

...that's the place where I took the picture that got me into trouble with Toby!

I forgot. They have a petting zoo, too. Goats, sheep, bunnies, etc. And a boat manufacturing place (sail boats)- sorta fun to see the big molds the boats come out of (not all industrial, if it sounds like that).

SCCutler said:
...that's the place where I took the picture that got me into trouble with Toby!
Haha! :) You're still in trouble for that.

Cedar Mills sounds terrific. I would love to give it a try, so long as I don't have to sleep on the ground. I've never been to Texas yet. Just note that I will have to fly in commercial and ride in with someone. I hope to purchase an airplane soon, but it won't be one of the faster ones.

Toby said:
Haha! :) You're still in trouble for that.

Cedar Mills sounds terrific. I would love to give it a try, so long as I don't have to sleep on the ground. I've never been to Texas yet. Just note that I will have to fly in commercial and ride in with someone. I hope to purchase an airplane soon, but it won't be one of the faster ones.

Yo, Tobe:

I know I am still in trouble, but also know that this is *not* the time of year to be shipping chocolate from Texas. I will not forget my debt.

Needless to say, whenever something is arranged, there will be no shortage of folks down here to "logistical" you wherever you need to go.

Spike, you are a gentleman. My chocolate receptors thank you.

Spike:

You did much better than I on my last approach to Addison. Still getting used to the P-Baron and blue line is 120 knots; so, that's minimum speed until committed to land. Came in from south Texas just after dark. On downwind to 15, tower called out a Cessna on three mile final and called out speed at 80 knots. Asked me to follow the Cessna. I told tower I would extend downwind to follow and they approved. I watched the 172 pass abeam and flew another sixty seconds, then, turned left base sure in the knowledge that I had left plenty of space. Turned final and picked up the 172 over the approach lights. As I came on down, tower asked me to S turn for spacing. In the twin, slow, landing configuration doing S turns is not high on my priority list--hot night but well under gross. I did the Ses, but the 172 didn't get off the runway; rather, it taxied down--probably because it was parked farther down--but that hadn't been related to tower. Tower called them and asked them to expeidte so the Baron on final (ME!) wouldn't have to go around. The Cessna said it would, but it sure didn't appear that way from the air. Anyway, just as I was about to initiate the go around, when I was cleared to land and the Cessna was well ahead turning off the runway.

So, I didn't do a very good job of spacing myself behing the 172. The 172 clearly slowed down after I turned behind them, which didn't help. Then, the 172 didn't turn off at the first taxiway with traffic on short final behind it. There wasn't anyone behind me, so, I clearly should have waited a little longer to turn base. Oh, well. Guess I'm still adjusting to the inceased speed at which I need to make an approach.

So, you blended in much better than me!! Keep up the excellent work!!

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Me? It's like the blind hog and the acorn...

AdamZ said:
Spike sounds like you and your son had a great day flying together

He's a good kid, better than I deserve, but (lucky for me) my wife has tons of virtue, enough to rate.

Good thing is, I was afraid he just didn't like flying at first, then I figured it out: he loves to fly, but there has to be a destination (doesn't have to be really special, but it has to be somewhere).

I like that father-son time, and I like it a lot.

BTW, first time I let him handle the controls, I though he was having a hard time maintaining straight & level, until I figured out the plane was doing just what he wanted it to do. Just what he wanted!

SCCutler said:
Good thing is, I was afraid he just didn't like flying at first, then I figured it out: he loves to fly, but there has to be a destination (doesn't have to be really special, but it has to be somewhere).

You've discovered a great truth of passengers. Many do not see the point unless you're going somewhere. I still have problems with this. I'm so steeped in the addiction of flying that I easily forget that a lot of (most?) people don't get why you would just go out to fly around.

Judy

SCCutler said:
BTW, first time I let him handle the controls, I though he was having a hard time maintaining straight & level, until I figured out the plane was doing just what he wanted it to do. Just what he wanted!

LOL Spike! I guess he figures " Hey at the Carnival it's fun to push stick forward make plane go down, pull stick back and watch it shoot up" All the while going round and round in a circle. No one at those carnivals just keeps the stinkin plane level? What fun would that be? Why the heck should it be any different to him in a real plane. Makes sense when ya think about it. Glad you had a great day. I know I love my one on one time with my daughter.
:blueplane:

Forgot I had these pics...

...look at that serious face of concentration.

If you are looking for a good spot to have a POA fly-in may I suggust Fredricksburg, Tx. A year ago we had a Babes and Airplane flyin there. Has WWII style hotel and a 50's style cafe on the field. Great location. They have group rates for hotel and meeting rooms can be set up to use.

Back