This Time of Year

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
Strangely enough, I don't really like this time of year.

I love the weather and the sun. I love having the elbow room. I love it so much, that the other day between classes I decided not to do any work. Instead I walked to the college quad and sat on a bench, enjoying the sun. In fact, I fell asleep there, right in the middle of a bustling midday crunch of students milling around. I guess I just started dreaming of the warmth of Maui (or something), and that did it--I was out. I am not really sure how long I was in my happy-happy land, but I suddenly woke up with one of those "where the heck am I" moments. Regaining my composure, I saw that I had about 10 minutes before I had to get to keyboarding class, so I shook off my stupor, purchased a strong coffee, and was on my way.

Arriving outside of the classroom, I met some of my students sitting out enjoying the weather. They were smiling and joking with each other. Since we still had a few minutes, I just sat down with them for awhile to enjoy their company. I am one of those teachers who never assumes an air of formality--it is just too complicated to be anyone but myself--so my students enjoy chatting with me, eating lunch with me, even inviting me for some bowling. In the middle of our chat, though, it occured to me that very soon they would all graduate. From past experience, I know that I won't see many of them ever again, and I felt a little twinge of sadness over that thought.

That is why I don't like this time of year.

I wish I had teachers like you, Ben. Good on ya for actually caring!

You could always fail them so they can't graduate. :D

I'm right there with ya Ben...
Three lectures to go.
They're scrambling to get the last of their homework done, and I'm scrambling to grade it.
The nationwide rate of deaths of grandparents is mysteriously going up. :)

Fortunately, almost all of my students are Alaskans, and most Alaskans stay in Alaska after they graduate.... so I'm sure I'll be seeing many of them around in the future.

Heck, some of them are going to need to take my class again. Haha! :)

---Kath

It would be my guess Ben, that your students have similar feelings about you.:yes: Genuineness is not a common enough virtue. When encountered, it's usually highly valued.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Ben...Sounds like you are an awesome teacher.
I don't know about that. I do like my students, though.

kath said:
Heck, some of them are going to need to take my class again. Haha! :)

---Kath
Unfortunately, that is true of some of my students.

Ben,

Oh, I know what you mean. Being a professor is like having permanent empty nest syndrome. I'm like you--I can't be terribly formal. One of the worst things about being a dean is the wall the title throws up between you and the students and even some faculty.

Judy

judypilot said:
Ben,

Oh, I know what you mean. Being a professor is like having permanent empty nest syndrome. I'm like you--I can't be terribly formal. One of the worst things about being a dean is the wall the title throws up between you and the students and even some faculty.

Judy
I completely understand that. I've actually passed on a couple of opportunities for something higher up. I didn't want the administrative aspect to take over the teaching and the music. As it turns out, though, I was "appointed" to such a job. I am the liaison for a big concert series, management of which is moving into the college. Everyone thinks I'm lucky, but for the most part, I'd rather be teaching or performing (or flying!).

Yeah. Of course, there are compensations. It's very satisfying to help a college (in my case, college of science) overcome problems to grow and become better. Hiring new faculty and helping them succeed is as satisfying as having students. You're part of a team in ways that you aren't as just a faculty member--faculty members tend to be lone wolves. (Of course, that can happen with administrators, too. I acknowledge that I am extremely lucky here at Idaho, and my counterpart over at WSU is openly envious of the teamwork among the deans here.) The extra bit of pay is nice, too. And since I get to fly on business, my crazy schedule actually means I get to fly more, probably, than I would have as a prof. But that's unusual.

Judy

Back