This sucks ... (no power rant)

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
During the storms in southeastern PA on Tuesday we lost power at about 7:00 pm, and are still without power.

PECO's automatic info system keeps pushing out the date of service return -- Wednesday 7:00 pm, 11:00 pm, Thursday 6:00 pm, over the weekend, Friday 11:00 pm...

The only good news is that because we have really unreliable power here, we can generate enough to work the water well pump, septic system pump, refrigerator, freezer, some lighting, some outlets, and the tv.

I sure miss air conditioning in this hot, humid weather, though.

More thunderstorms to come this afternoon and over the weekend. :(

(Sorry for the rant!)

Living without electricity stinks (6+ weeks after Hurricane Andrew in Miami), but I find it humorous that you found enough juice to post your complaint on the internet!! :)

Ken Ibold said:
Living without electricity stinks (6+ weeks after Hurricane Andrew in Miami), but I find it humorous that you found enough juice to post your complaint on the internet!! :)
True ;)

We actually have a good size gererator -- something like 30 kva -- it's enough power to run the heating system in the winter, but not enough for things like a/c, washing machine/dryer, dishwasher, iron (that's driving my wife nuts). But plenty of power to run our computers, and the DirecTV and Hughesnet satellite stuff :)

That hummer's eatin' up a good bit of propane, though :(

Bob Don't you have an aircraft with a really big Fan on top of it? :rolleyes: You could use that to cool ya down. Time to break out the cooler filled with Beer and Iced teas take the butcher prepared burgers out fire up the grill and sit back and relax. The terminal at wings has AC you could whirly gig your way up there and we can sit in the AC have a coke and chat and as always if it really gets unbearable you are WELCOME at casa Zucker.

Bummer :( We got ours back last night. We don't have a generator, so no lights, a/c/, hot water, and groceries all went bye-bye. Oh well... we do have candles, Coleman lantern, a couple camp stoves. But the lantern and camp stoves REALLY heat the place up. Obviously, the last thing we wanted!

Bob, if you and your wife get a might to warm, you are welcome to crash at our place and have some home cooked meals. The accomodations aren't fancy, but they are cool :) Assuming, of course, we don't get knocked out again during this next round of storms.

Thanks to both Adam, and Joe. I really do appreciate the offers. In spite of my rant, there's folks who are much worse off.

Many in ST. Louis have been without power for days after the storms went through and broke windows, but WAIT! a NEIGHBORHOOD in Manhattan has no power and several hundred are affected!

St. Louis is getting hit again right now.

RotaryWingBob said:
True ;)

We actually have a good size gererator -- something like 30 kva -- it's enough power to run the heating system in the winter, but not enough for things like a/c, washing machine/dryer, dishwasher, iron (that's driving my wife nuts). But plenty of power to run our computers, and the DirecTV and Hughesnet satellite stuff :)

That hummer's eatin' up a good bit of propane, though :(

30 KVa ought to be plenty enough to run a 3-4 ton AC. In fact with an EER of 10, you could run almost 40 tons of AC. What kind of building are you talking about here, home or work?

Back