This pilot should be found and destroyed lol

Easy there sailor the title was a joke. But the guy shouldn't be allowed to fly an airplane.

Easy there sailor the title was a joke. But the guy shouldn't be allowed to fly an airplane.

But... But... But... He's a COMMERCIAL pilot (SEL, MEL, Instrument) - not some Sport Pilot loser flying around without a medical! (Inert appropriate emoticon here)

(Disclaimer: The statement(s) above are based on the assumption that the name of the company that owns the airplane reflects the identity of the individual that was flying it at the time that the recording was made.)

He may have a commercial license but he is not a commercial pilot, not by a long shot.

I'm dumbfounded.

Maybe it's because I'm still new to this game, but I am always grateful that ATC is out there to help me with stuff. Yes, ever so often I don't care for it so I don't call them up (usually for short trip, 30nm or less), but what's the point of asking people for help and then being rude to them?

I'm dumbfounded.

Maybe it's because I'm still new to this game, but I am always grateful that ATC is out there to help me with stuff. Yes, ever so often I don't care for it so I don't call them up (usually for short trip, 30nm or less), but what's the point of asking people for help and then being rude to them?

This is somebody who has little experience using the ATC system. You hardly ever hear somebody speak that ignorantly, and cause such a problem in congested areas although it happens which is why this ATC audio exists. I have no idea where this guy departed from but it is a sad when you come across a pilot with this much of a lack of radio etiquette. And to be that disrespectful when they have you on RADAR is insane to me.

I love the one pilot getting the handoff...instead of "good day" he says "good luck":rofl:
Actually, TWO pilots did that. a Delta flight and then the next one! I loved it too. They obviously could tell even that early on just what she was up against.

Before I started flying I thought of ATC as the cops of the sky, but they're not. They have our backs up there. I'm VFR only, but I get flight following every time I go X-C. It's comforting to have them on the other side of the radio. I've had a GPS glitch out on me, and I knew where I was anyway, but I liked the fact that I could have asked for vectors with the push of the PTT button if I got lost. This recording made my skin crawl, and I really hope he got violated over it.

Before I started flying I thought of ATC as the cops of the sky, but they're not. They have our backs up there. I'm VFR only, but I get flight following every time I go X-C. It's comforting to have them on the other side of the radio. I've had a GPS glitch out on me, and I knew where I was anyway, but I liked the fact that I could have asked for vectors with the push of the PTT button if I got lost. This recording made my skin crawl, and I really hope he got violated over it.

"got violated over it"... ouch *grimace*

No, I know what you meant, it just came out awkward.

Me too as far as XC is concerned. Such a valuable resource to have!

Sounds like an old guy that is just too proud to admit he was wrong. So many things wrong with that little exchange. And duuuuuude.......stop referencing your GPS to back up your claims that you are on a victor airway. At least the girl sounds cute, and does a remarkable job of staying cool.

Heard a similar exchange on frequency in the midwest last week. Jerks are everywhere, though fortunately, not all that common in the sky. Probably the same people who park themselves in the left lane on the interstate, going the exact speed limit, and won't move no matter how many cars are stacked up behind them.

Heard a similar exchange on frequency in the midwest last week. Jerks are everywhere, though fortunately, not all that common in the sky. Probably the same people who park themselves in the left lane on the interstate, going the exact speed limit, and won't move no matter how many cars are stacked up behind them.

I have no problem with that.

I don't do it, but what do you have against speed limits?

I have no problem with that.

On interstates, the law requires you to remain right unless passing. It's posted almost everywhere. I know people have different comfort zones in terms of speed, but if you aren't passing anyone, it is time to get over. Not their job to police people. That said, I think 90% of the time it is a symptom of being oblivious, rather than being passive aggressive.

Not going to take the bait. :nonod:

What he said...

Oh what the hell...for one thing, if someone in the right lane is traveling one mph under the limit, and I want to pass, I must temporarily exceed the limit, rightly or wrongly. Tough to do when some oblivious jerk is parked in the passing lane at the posted limit. :mad2:

Heh, so why pass at all? ;)

Yeah, I'm being a twit. But I switched my driving habits years ago to drive the posted limit virtually all the time and I now truly enjoy getting a kick out of watching idiots in Audis running their blood pressure up to go fast.

I usually pull up next to them at the off-ramp stop light and smile and wave. Might as well be friendly.

I don't sit in the left lane doing the limit, however. UNLESS the whole highway is jammed up and it's the only lane doing the limit.

I had enough tickets in my youth to choke a horse.

After honestly doing the math for my old 27 mile commute one-way and realizing that the time difference between 55 and 75 was piddly, and then applying brain to thinking about the difference in force applied to body when having even a single car collision between 55 and 75, let alone a head on at those speeds, I realized that most drivers are stupid.

My little-L libertarian bent says "do what you want", but my pilot plan-everything-read-the-POH-and-truly-understand side says, "pilots who drive fast are even stupider than those who do it unwittingly, they of all people should know better".

We crack jokes about how driving to the airport is the most dangerous thing we do in aviation, and then we add to the problem by setting a bad example for dumber drivers.

P.S. Appreciate y'all taking the bait for my standard speed limit driving rant. ;)

@ Denver, I agree with what you say. I found while commuting 45 minutes-1 hr in socal traffic each way to work for a couple of years, that being speed limit or 5+ in the right 3 lanes kept my blood pressure a lot lower, not worrying about passing or left lane hogging or whatnot. I just set cruise for 70 and let folks pass me as needed. Nobody cared since I was not in the left, and I rarely needed to pass anyone.

Am I the only one here who has gotten a ticket for "passing on the right"?

Looks like he plugged W29 into his GPS and followed the yellow brick road.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight_...parturetime=1339963380&arrivaltime=1339968780

It's not quite as bad as the track shows. Note in the details section that there' are no reports from much SW of JFK. McGuire's radar doesn't feed into the system Flightaware. They interpolated a straight line between where he left NY Approach and when he popped up on PCT.

However, if you plot the last point from NY Approach, you'll find that he was on a straight line between JFK and ENO (his clearance was to fly V16 to ENO). Unfortunately, V16 has a couple of bends in it.

He also didn't get the hint when she suggested he go direct to COY.

Am I the only one here who has gotten a ticket for "passing on the right"?

I got a warning once on I-70 in Columbus, Oh.

4 lanes of traffic, came up behind two guys playing grab azz w/ each other at 5MPH below the limit in the far left lanes. So I gag it and go around on the right. The state rod behind me wasn't amused.

Last edited:
I got a warning once on I-70 in Columbus, Oh.

4 lanes of traffic, came up behind two guys playing grab azz w/ each other at 5MPH below the limit in the far left lanes. So I gag it and go around on the right. The state rod behind me wasn't amused.

Heh. In Michigan, as I understand it, it's only illegal to pass on the right when there are only two lanes (in the same direction); more lanes, you're ok. (Of course, we're also a state that doesn't seem to have any of those "Slower traffic keep right" signs.)

> In Michigan ...

Don't forget the I-275 rule ... passing allowed using the right & left shoulders.

That's just plain crazy. If someone wants to do 20 over, I let them by. They don't do me any good if they are behind me - much better to have them about half a mile ahead shaking the bushes for me.

> In Michigan ...

Don't forget the I-275 rule ... passing allowed using the right & left shoulders.

They open up the breakdown lane for travel (not just passing) on parts of I-95 during rush hour here in Mass.

They are often arbitrary, even malicious. Maybe it's uncommon in your paradise town, but visit Miami once for an eye-opener. Cannot understand why they haven't burned down the city hall yet.

Back