This one could go South...

I have a firm policy of never voting on an office or ballot measure for which I don't know enough about the candidates or the issues to form a opinion.
I mark up my sample ballot. If I have don't have the time or interest on something I leave it blank. Copy it over to the real one on election day. I suppose I could just vote absentee, but I enjoy going to the polls.

In Florida (yes, I am a “Florida man”, but not the one you read about), there are several constitutional amendments on the ballot. With one exception (13) all the advertising has been vote “yes on #” or “no on #”. Not even a hint of what the amendment even addresses. Clearly this works or the political campaigners wouldn’t do it. 13 is the lone exception. Voting no on 13 is “anti-school and “anti-children”. 13 places the control over expanding gambling in Florida as a balloted referendum rather than a legislative action.

I’m appalled that content free advertising for something as important as constitutional amendments works. I’m not surprised unfortunately, but I am appalled.
Same problem in Colorado. I need to dig out the actual content of what I'm supposed to be voting on because all I see are Vote No or Vote Yes! with zero content.

I mark up my sample ballot. If I have don't have the time or interest on something I leave it blank. Copy it over to the real one on election day. I suppose I could just vote absentee, but I enjoy going to the polls.
Same here.

I'm really glad Oregon is just vote by mail, get pamphlet, get ballot, fill out on own time, drop off or mail when ready.

Back