This make anyone else mad?

Yeah, Mark I saw that.

Perfect case example of unrestrained government is a bad thing. Just like the TSA actions after that Cape Air pilot pursued his case (they put him on the do-not-fly list). I know of one agency where the field inspectors used to get into contests of "how many violations can we find". I've seen some of the EPA actions after PCBs were outlawed.... sometimes it's better to leave well enough alone.

Not to make this a political thread, but I'm one who believes that we shouldn't have to live in fear of our government.....

Holy cr*&! I wonder if this fella Jeff went to the news media. Sounds like 20/20 or some other news magizine would love this story. Scary indeed.

wsuffa said:
Not to make this a political thread, but I'm one who believes that we shouldn't have to live in fear of our government.....

I remember the scares regarding asbestos and PCB's. Sometimes it is much better to leave well enough alone.

http://www.epaosc.net/site_profile.asp?site_id=09LX

Here is the EPA write up on the case. Different levels of contamination noted I think...

Be glad we don't get all the government we pay for.

NC Pilot said:
I remember the scares regarding asbestos and PCB's. Sometimes it is much better to leave well enough alone.

http://www.epaosc.net/site_profile.asp?site_id=09LX

Here is the EPA write up on the case. Different levels of contamination noted I think...

Be glad we don't get all the government we pay for.

I was doing engineering work on broadcasting transmitters when the PCB regs came out. There were lots, and lots of old oil-filled transformers and capacitors in some of those old rigs. One station I know of had a very small oil stain on the floor below the transformer drain valve. EPA made them rip the entire floor out of the building, a couple of feet of dirt, and dispose all of it as hazmat.

An old engineer from GE's power division used to tell stories about putting a bathing suit on and climbing down into PCB-laden transformer oil. Now GE is fighting a major PCB cleanup of the Hudson river.

Sigh.

I wonder why AOPA or EAA isn't/wasn't right on top of this as they usually are?
Something seems a little stranger than the usual in this case history.

wsuffa said:
An old engineer from GE's power division used to tell stories about putting a bathing suit on and climbing down into PCB-laden transformer oil. Now GE is fighting a major PCB cleanup of the Hudson river.

Sigh.
I remember those stories. I used to work for a major utility and we had the honor of burning "mid level" PCB contaminated transformer oil. I think between 50 and 500 ppm PCB contaminated oil was burned in our power plant boilers. Free BTU's and quite a bit of hassle.

I often wondered if it was the PCB oil or contaminants in the PCB oil the made it bad...

I was also responsible for asbestos removal, but that's another story.:hairraise:

NC Pilot said:
I often wondered if it was the PCB oil or contaminants in the PCB oil the made it bad...

Aside from the fact that PCBs themselves don't break down and they build in the tissues of animals/fish....

What made it bruning it bad was this: incomplete burning of PCBs creates dioxin.

A lot of this fell out of an office building somewhere in NY state where PCBs did not burn completely and contaminated the entire building with dioxin. You'll probably need registration to see this (get one at bugmenot.com)
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9800E7DE1038F930A25752C0A965948260

I was living in NY when that happened....

I lived in an old mill building, that was sold by GE post the PCB era.

My landlord paid $80k for a ~1M SF mill.

PCB's were there, they were a part of the disclosure on the property.

He sued GE, won, and they paid about $2M to have the place completely cleaned, water and pipes refit, etc.

He now sells them as condos and is raking it in.

Just a data point...

Cheers,

-Andrew

Back