This is your captain screaming

Those two crew members on the right are getting downright friendly with each other.

That;s one of the crazier aviation stories I've heard

I'm not sure where, but I think I've heard of that story before.

Anyway, the thread title made me think of this:

I've heard of this one, but never read that account. "Bloody good show" by all hands; they knew their stuff. :thumbsup:

The smoking gun in this case is a classic... a reminder to all wrench jockeys that what stays put on the ground may not stay put in flight...

In 1992, a report was published showing that a BA engineer, working under pressure, had fitted a new windscreen with bolts that were too small.

:rolleyes2:

there was a good tv documentary on this ~10 years ago including a mock up investigation with 'mechanic interviews'

IThe smoking gun in this case is a classic... a reminder to all wrench jockeys that what stays put on the ground may not stay put in flight...

In 1992, a report was published showing that a BA engineer, working under pressure, had fitted a new windscreen with bolts that were too small.

:rolleyes2:

If there was an award for the worst maintenance induced failure this one should be a contender. Another that comes to mind is the United L-1011 out of Miami that lost all three engines for a while because someone forgot to use O-rings on the chip detectors.

If there was an award for the worst maintenance induced failure this one should be a contender. Another that comes to mind is the United L-1011 out of Miami that lost all three engines for a while because someone forgot to use O-rings on the chip detectors.

I'm thinking the AA DC 10 that went down because the MX crew used aj unapproved engine removal method is right up there, too

I'm thinking the AA DC 10 that went down because the MX crew used aj unapproved engine removal method is right up there, too

IIRC, the McDonnell Douglas field service people told AA it wasn't a good idea to do that. But AA did it anyway to save MX hours.

there was a good tv documentary on this ~10 years ago including a mock up investigation with 'mechanic interviews'

That was where I first saw it. I think it was "Air Emergency" or some such. It went into a lot of the bigger name accidents - this one, the KLM 747 that ran into another 747 because the pilot got too impatient, the 1900 that crashed due to the aft CG coupled with the elevator cables having restricted movement and therefore not enough authority, etc.

It was a good series and worth watching. They went into the accident, the investigation, and what caused it.

What was interesting with the findings on this accident was that the mechanic actually thought he was doing the right thing by the company by getting the plane back into service quickly, even though several red flags came up to indicate he was using the wrong bolts. Apparently, the mechanic before him had installed the wrong bolts as well, but this time, they didn't last.

I'll admit that flying the Aztec through some rough turbulence after the right side engine mount was replaced was a bit unnerving, but I guess they did a good job - the engine remained attached!

You sure that was United? I think we may have had L-1011s for a short while but I cant remember when. And it would have been for a very SHORT while.

Back