This is why you don't fly your drone over crowds.

What about the rights of the people being filmed without permission , about the same time a drone lost control and injured two people it was flying over.

It's just irresponsible to fly like that.
The pilot didn't cause the drone to crash, the idiots intentionally trying to crash the drone did. They're the ones at fault if there were any injuries..... and if there were how much does that thing weigh? We're talking about something that would probably cause less damage than someone throwing a football.

What about the rights of the people being filmed without permission

No such right exists, you have no expectation of privacy in a public place.

The pilot didn't cause the drone to crash, the idiots intentionally trying to crash the drone did. They're the ones at fault if there were any injuries..... and if there were how much does that thing weigh? We're talking about something that would probably cause less damage than someone throwing a football.

Not if it had carbon fiber propellers I read a story not long ago about a teen actually getting decapitated by one

If someone is flying one of those things close enough to me that I can hit it with a tee shirt, the person flying it is the irresponsible one. As far as I am concerned that is a danger to my person and I'll knock it down and just take the citation every time. Sorry, but anyone flying that close to people who didn't sign up for it, is a knucklehead.

Not if it had carbon fiber propellers I read a story not long ago about a teen actually getting decapitated by one

If you're thinking of the same story I'm remembering, it was an RC helicopter, not a drone and the teen who got decapitated was the pilot...

Think about the size of the typical drone prop blades and the size of the motor.... not physically possible unless we're talking about something a lot bigger than anything I've seen.

If someone is flying one of those things close enough to me that I can hit it with a tee shirt, the person flying it is the irresponsible one. As far as I am concerned that is a danger to my person and I'll knock it down and just take the citation every time. Sorry, but anyone flying that close to people who didn't sign up for it, is a knucklehead.

I would expect such action would open you up to liability should anyone be hurt. I also would assert you owe the owner for any damages to the drone.

I'm just arguing for argument's sake btw... I don't even own a drone.

I'm supposed the pilot didn't get the heck out of there once they started throwing those things. Drones aren't cheap!

If you're thinking of the same story I'm remembering, it was an RC helicopter, not a drone and the teen who got decapitated was the pilot...

Think about the size of the typical drone prop blades and the size of the motor.... not physically possible unless we're talking about something a lot bigger than anything I've seen.

Not sure about you but I wouldn't want to take one to the face LOL.

I don't know what size drone the first one was that got taken down by the t-shirt (could have just been a nano, but I don't think the article specified), but if you lose an engine in that Phantom hovering over a crowd you are going to cause some injuries. Prepare for the lawsuits if they catch you.

ps: I fly RC as well, so I would prefer people fly responsibly.

Last edited:
Since consumer drones have been ruled to be aircraft, he probably violated some regulations with that flight.

Ummmm....I'm gonna say no to that one.

The drone was being flown close enough to the person on the ground that they were able to bring it down with a T-SHIRT!

I'd say that the drone operator was irresponsibly flying the aircraft too close to the person.

What if this were over a private property? Can you shoot down the drone?

Ummmm....I'm gonna say no to that one.

The drone was being flown close enough to the person on the ground that they were able to bring it down with a T-SHIRT!

I'd say that the drone operator was irresponsibly flying the aircraft too close to the person.

I think I'm going to have to fall in this camp.

What if this were over a private property? Can you shoot down the drone?

There are probably going to be some laws and court cases deciding the privacy issue in the near future. Keep in mind that its currently perfectly legal to fly our manned aircraft over private property and take pictures of anything we want. I'm not sure but I think the legal standard has something to do with things being in plain view.

As for shooting it down, that's probably going to come down to gun laws and potentially destruction of property.

There are of course what some country folk call the three S es. (Shoot, shovel, and shut up).

Back