This is why GA gets a bad rap...

You think that's wild. It fits right in with the crazy motorcycle stuff they do up and down Mulholland. Go to youtube and type in Mulholland Riders 2016.

Last edited:
the interpretation I've heard (not mine but Rapid City FSDO) is that 91.119 (d)1 exempts you from (b) and (c) but not (a).

so, in other words when I was hopping rides over Full Throttle Saloon during Sturgis bike rally even though I knew I could safely auto from 300' to clear of the crowd below, the guy from the FSDO insisted very sternly we fly at 1000' unless we wanted trouble...

You think that's wild. It fits right in with the crazy motorcycle stuff they do up and down Mulholland. Go to youtube and type in Mulholland Riders 2016.

Exactly right, the filmer of this video, RnickeyMouse, films a LOT of motorcycle riders crashing or nearly crashing on that road...it's almost like its a spectator sport

the interpretation I've heard (not mine but Rapid City FSDO) is that 91.119 (d)1 exempts you from (b) and (c) but not (a).

so, in other words when I was hopping rides over Full Throttle Saloon during Sturgis bike rally even though I knew I could safely auto from 300' to clear of the crowd below, the guy from the FSDO insisted very sternly we fly at 1000' unless we wanted trouble...

This guy didn't get the memo from that FSDO.:eek:

interesting, i thought the alouette were restricted category only wonder how they were doing customer rides in them

interesting, i thought the alouette were restricted category only wonder how they were doing customer rides in them

Yeah, there were some comments that maybe the FAA is looking into this operation. Might just be rumors. Definitely an argument on the power failure requirement of 91.119 (a).

The only "reckless" behavior I see is that in a R44 you cannot push low/negative Gs (confirmed with my fellow R44 pilot). In this video it seems the he did a few nose over maneuvers (albeit lightly) could potentially be disastrous.

Last edited:
The only "reckless" behavior I see is that in a R44 you cannot push negative Gs (confirmed with my fellow R44 pilot). In this video it seems the he did a few nose over maneuvers (albeit lightly) could potentially be disastrous.

Can't push zero G in an under slung (semi rigid) rotor, let alone negative G.

Last edited:
It isn't. That's a very expensive neighborhood in the middle of Los Angeles. That particular site appears to be south of Burbank, not far from the Hollywood Bowl.

You know the area better than I do. That video looks like a road with a bunch of trees and very few houses, but I suppose the video doesn't tell the entire story.

I read the comments before viewing the video. So I was all primed to see something major - and all I got was a helicopter making a circle along the edge of a canyon road (yawn) All I have to do is stand on the ramp in front of my hanger and I get choppers blasting past lower and closer than that.

It's California. Who cares? Hopefully it sloughs off into the ocean soon, then the whirlybird guy can circle around over the open ocean. Maybe Texas can somehow fall into the ocean, too. That would be cool. And then helicopters wouldn't get the OP's pants wadded up about GA's terrible reputation.

The guy forgot the first rule of low flying. Ya do just ONE pass and get the hell outta there while people are still saying WTF?

I never heard them playing the bad rap... Which rapper was it? :) They need a bigger sound system on that Robinson, if they're trying to play bad rap albums for people on Mulholland. Couldn't hear it at all over the rotor system.

Back