This is what I feel like right now:

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Went to the eye doc today because even with the 52" HD in the living room, I noticed the guide screen was getting a bit tougher to read. I already have glasses, but figured I'd go the contact route because glasses just don't go well with the anr headsets. I'm just barely class III legal, but the contacts have me class II/I legal. OK, what does that have to do with how I feel? Well, I have an astigmatism in my right eye, and while I can't feel the left contact, my right one feels like this:

eye.jpg

Boy do I know how you feel. They tried to get me to wear hard contacts (gas permeable, as they're called these days). Tried for months, but never could get used to the things. Felt that way forever. Finally took them back and told them to sell the things to the military. Instead of waterboarding prisoners they could correct their vision.

Yeah, these aren't like that at all. I'm already getting used to the right side, and I figure by the end of the week I won't even know it's there.

If you get the right frames, they work fine with ANR headsets. My frames don't mess up the ANR at all.

Missa will kill you.

If you get the right frames, they work fine with ANR headsets. My frames don't mess up the ANR at all.

Missa will kill you.

I have the thinnest frames they make, still wont seal with denalis or zulus

Boy do I know how you feel. They tried to get me to wear hard contacts (gas permeable, as they're called these days). Tried for months, but never could get used to the things. Felt that way forever. Finally took them back and told them to sell the things to the military. Instead of waterboarding prisoners they could correct their vision.

That's interesting. I've been wearing hard lenses since 1974 and they are so much a part of me that I don't know they are there. I wear 'em 16 or 17 hours a day. When I originally got 'em in 74 my doctor said he never saw anyone get used to them so quickly. I guess I was motivated because I hated the glasses I had worn since I was 7 years old. When the gas permeable lenses came out I switched to them. They were supposed to be more comfortable but I never really noticed any difference since I was so used to wearing the originals.

i used to have contacts but i realized that putting glasses on in the morning was a lot easier than putting contacts in. and a lot cheaper too. i've got thin frame glasses and ANR has no problems.

I hate wearing the glasses, and I have two cars and a plane to worry about having them in. I'm not buying 4 pairs of glasses to have wherever.

Went to the eye doc today because even with the 52" HD in the living room, I noticed the guide screen was getting a bit tougher to read. I already have glasses, but figured I'd go the contact route because glasses just don't go well with the anr headsets. I'm just barely class III legal, but the contacts have me class II/I legal. OK, what does that have to do with how I feel? Well, I have an astigmatism in my right eye, and while I can't feel the left contact, my right one feels like this:

BTDT.

One day???? Sheesh.

Back in the olden days with the hard lenses it took weeks to get used to them.

If it bugs:D you too much, just take it out for a while. You don't HAVE to get used to them all at once.

Gas Perms and old eyes (over 40) aren't a real good idea because your eyes (if they're typical) aren't making the moisture they once did.

I wore hard lenses & gas perms from the age of 13 to 44. I quit at the urging of my doc. And he urged this even though he said I made more tears than the average Joe.

I had hellacous callouses on my eyes from the 30+ years of hard contact lens wearing. I guess those got burned off last fall when I had Lasik done.

I hate wearing the glasses, and I have two cars and a plane to worry about having them in. I'm not buying 4 pairs of glasses to have wherever.

i usually keep mine on my head

Hmm. My Zulus have no issue with my glasses. Must be your head. :D

eye.jpg
Eye feel your pain. I have to wear reading glasses now when looking at fine print or just when I get up in the morning.

That's interesting. I've been wearing hard lenses since 1974 and they are so much a part of me that I don't know they are there. I wear 'em 16 or 17 hours a day. When I originally got 'em in 74 my doctor said he never saw anyone get used to them so quickly. I guess I was motivated because I hated the glasses I had worn since I was 7 years old.
My original contact lens doc told me that adapting to contacts is all about motivation. He said that the ideal candidate is a 15 year old female who'd put sand in her eyes if it made her think she looked better.

When the gas permeable lenses came out I switched to them. They were supposed to be more comfortable but I never really noticed any difference since I was so used to wearing the originals.

The rigid gas permeable lenses aren't necessarily more comfortable, at least during the first few hours but they do feel better than the original (non-permeable) hard lenses if you wear them for 18-20 hours straight, IME.

Ed, what kind of contacts did you go with? I wear the two-week disposable kind, high permeability soft lenses (I prefer O2 Optix). If that's the kind you're wearing, and unless your optometrist examined your eyes while you were wearing that lens, I'd look very carefully at the lens and edges with a magnifying glass. There's a slight chance that you have a defective (nicked or partially torn) lens. The incidence is about 1 in 20 IME. I once wore a bad one for nearly a whole day before taking it out and giving it a careful lookover. They're so soft that even one with a bad surface or edge may not be too intolerable.

Ed, what kind of contacts did you go with? I wear the two-week disposable kind, high permeability soft lenses (I prefer O2 Optix). If that's the kind you're wearing, and unless your optometrist examined your eyes while you were wearing that lens, I'd look very carefully at the lens and edges with a magnifying glass. There's a slight chance that you have a defective (nicked or partially torn) lens. The incidence is about 1 in 20 IME. I once wore a bad one for nearly a whole day before taking it out and giving it a careful lookover. They're so soft that even one with a bad surface or edge may not be too intolerable.

Ed mentioned astigmatism in at least one eye and I'm not aware of any soft lenses that deal with cylindrical correction well. The RGP lenses correct that problem simply by maintaining a spherical shape over the cornea and that can indeed take some getting used to if you have a lot of astigmatism to correct.

Ed mentioned astigmatism in at least one eye and I'm not aware of any soft lenses that deal with cylindrical correction well. The RGP lenses correct that problem simply by maintaining a spherical shape over the cornea and that can indeed take some getting used to if you have a lot of astigmatism to correct.
It depends on the amount of astigmatism, but my optometrist explained that spherical soft lenses can provide some cylinder correction by trapping a tear layer between the lens and the cornea. I had about a diopter of astigmatism in my left eye before I had RK done and was corrected to 20/13 with spherical lenses alone.

I have toric soft lenses now. They handle quite a bit of astigmatism quite well, imho. Wore spherical hard lenses for 10 years and then one day they just would not work. Switched to spherical extended wear for another 10 years, then toric extended wear for another 10, then gas permeable toric lenses for another 5, now the soft toric daily wear. Eyes change. So does the technology. Still have to wear the glasses for the AME. One of the few days I wear them in any given year.

I dunno which ones they are, they are the test lenses for me. I wear these for a week, and then go back to see if there are any problems with me wearing them. Air - something or other, they are 30-day lenses then pitch em, and yes the doc examined my eyes after putting the lenses in.

I develop inflammation of the inner eyelid with soft contacts due to proteinaceous buildups within the methacrylate matrix. I would happily wear contacts made from methyl methacrylate, as they have a smaller pore size and are unlikely to irritate my eyelid to the same extent. However, contacts are not made from methyl methacrylate that fit my eye. Hence glasses or the gas permeable things, and I would sooner take a hole-punch to my eyelid than wear the latter again.

I hate you, Ed

Scott, why did you have to qoute him?

Who? Ed?

You mean this quote?

eye.jpg

:devil::devil::devil::devil: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Softcomm C-90s seal up over my glasses just fine. As I told my optometrist, I have a philosophical problem with voluntarily putting a foreign object on my eye. No contacts for me.

Ed, your new avatar has me squirming, and I don't have a problem with putting something in my eye. A HONEYBEE??? Oh, my... :yikes:

Back