This is what happens when you get unlucky...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
This is what happens when ATC waits to the last minute to deny the Dulles East transition on an IFR flight plan.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N112LB/history/20130906/1700Z/KBGM/KHEF

Original clearance included the Dulles East corridor. After being handed off to the second or third Potomac controller, they decided they wouldn't make it available, so I got sent around outside the Class B. Sure wish they'd told me earlier & saved some miles....

The guys at Dulles approach I've noticed seem to go out of their way to give me the least convenient route possible. I've been assigned going around the east side of the ADIZ when it added 50-75 nm to my route. I negotiated the other side.

They obviously don't know who they're messing with.

This is what happens when ATC waits to the last minute to deny the Dulles East transition on an IFR flight plan.

Original clearance included the Dulles East corridor. After being handed off to the second or third Potomac controller, they decided they wouldn't make it available, so I got sent around outside the Class B. Sure wish they'd told me earlier & saved some miles....

The guys at Dulles approach I've noticed seem to go out of their way to give me the least convenient route possible. I've been assigned going around the east side of the ADIZ when it added 50-75 nm to my route. I negotiated the other side.

The O'Hareians aren't much better. :no:

I have no idea why this is true, but they seem to collect the densest, most recalcitrant personality types in that neck of the woods. When operating out of CGAS Atlantic City on a Noble Eagle mission a friend of mine was directed to "remain clear" when he first checked in. His classic reply was: "Unable" :D
After a brief silence, (no doubt to mop up the spilled coffee), he was allowed to continue his mission. Some fur was shredded at the upper levels I am told, and for a while things improved. I guess if your personality isn't cheery enough to work ORD you get sent there. :dunno:

Oh the humanity!

You should sue for emotional distress.

The O'Hareians aren't much better. :no:

LAS TRACON is the same, they have to learn the mantra "Unable, remain clear of Class B." before they are allowed to key the mic.

It was dark and windy night. I planned (my error) to request a south to north transition to land at VGT. Already under the Class B and approaching HND I called TRACON to request the "numbers - numbers" transition, essentially Appch end of LAS Rwy 25 to Rwy 19 to VGT. A normal VFR route.

I get the "Remain clear of Class B" reply. I respond, "it's dark, bumpy and there are rocks out west, I'd rather not go that way.". They cleared me through.

When it's windy you don't really want to be near the rocks on the west side of the valley. Ever experience rotor from Mt Wave, and then do it at night?

When it's windy you don't really want to be near the rocks on the west side of the valley. Ever experience rotor from Mt Wave, and then do it at night?

Well, twice actually at night in the same area (near KELP). The first one on night SNG's for currency (solo), I caught it on the crosswind and was rolled over just a smidge past 90*. The other event was more benign. The first event resulted in me taking upset training with a Pitts CFI, doing spins, etc.

If you fly in mountain areas, you'll meet one sometime ... and their won't be a lenticular to give it away either.

If you had filed for 10000+ altitude, I ASSUME they would have let you go straight, what Alt did you file??

Back