This is very interesting. High tide, low tide.

John Baker

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
John Baker
For 8 years, Michael Marten has been taking photos from different spots of the British coast line, documenting the daily rhythms of the tides. This gave way to a special landscape project. Marten took photos of the same locations 8 and 16 hours apart, and showed the contrast between those images, a work displaying the dynamic nature of the tides and how landscape can be drastically different on a daily basis.

To see the change, click on any of these photos of low tide to see what they look like during high tide! (And back again!)

http://www.ba-bamail.com/Content.aspx?emailid=5732&memberid=747728#.UypH0ahdW-k

First time I ever saw the tide was in Folkstone just south of Dover. I was on my senior trip to Europe.

I was amazed to see fishing vessels just sitting on the sand still tied to the docks. I have some really cool pictures from that morning. If I can find them I'll post some up.

Seeing a harbor empty of water, with boats sitting on the bottom is startling to those of us from this side of the pond - but an everyday thing over there.

Dave

Seeing a harbor empty of water, with boats sitting on the bottom is startling to those of us from this side of the pond - but an everyday thing over there.

Dave

Head further north, happens there as well. You have to look at the latitude you're dealing with in Northern Europe and Great Britain.

Here are some of the photos I took.

Attachments

• P6190627.JPG
    P6190627.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
  • P6190672.JPG
    P6190672.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
  • P6190665.JPG
    P6190665.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 27
The tide in Cook Inlet changes so fast and so dynamically you can surf the wave of the incoming tide.

Why and where was the twin keel sale boats designed?

A. Great Britain, so they can set on the bottom up right.

The tide in Cook Inlet changes so fast and so dynamically you can surf the wave of the incoming tide.

Perfect Example in my pictures above. I just now noticed that! Thats really interesting.

"Bilge Keel" boats were around before Great Britain existed.

Back