This is ridiculous.

No can read. I don't have a comcast account.

I'm on Comcast, so can see it. Two regionals with 400' vertical, 3 mi. horizontal separation. TCAS kicked in and commanded appropriate measures. Blamed on a rookie controller, who had two senior controllers there with him.
Peter Goelz, former NTSB managing director, said "as you have an increase in the volume of air traffic in the nation's airspace, these kinds of events are going up."

Melissa Ott, NATCA rep at the facility in Oberlin, OH, said "in my seventeen years, I've never seen anything this close."

I saw this story on the evening national news the other day. The "reporter" put a spin on it like there are jets just roaming about the skies having near impacts with nothing saving them except for the magic black box that is TCAS. Looks like this event caused an RA (resolution advisory) which is a bit of a big deal. It is nice to see the "overpaid" crew trusted the equipment on took the appropriate actions necessary to avoid the collision. Good on 'em.

Melissa Ott, NATCA rep at the facility in Oberlin, OH, said "in my seventeen years, I've never seen anything this close."

Apparently she's spent her last 17 years with her eyes closed. I've gotten, on average, one RA per month since I started flying with TCAS. Most of the time we have a visual on the other plane before the RA, so we don't have to respond. Only twice so far I've had to use "escape maneuvers" for an RA, and even then we usual get the visual pretty quickly. I haven't been able to read the article, but I'm guessing it makes this sound like a much bigger deal than it was.

Back