This Is How I Roll

ChiefPilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ChiefPilot
This is a video I made in response to the question, "What's it like to fly a plane you built yourself?"

YouTube: http://youtu.be/HpWHpcCVToo

Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/85152177

I should point out that all flights were done in accordance with 14 CFR Part 91 and that in addition to the obvious safety purposes, the flight gear and parachute help me get my Walter Mitty on :wink2:

Last edited:
Welcome to POA, good on you to see it through, a dozen years is a long time. There are more than a few folks here that would argue you put the third wheel in the wrong place, though. Not me, of course.

Nice vid, great plane- thanks for sharing!

And welcome to PoA.

Very nice. Welcome to POA.

What settings are you using? When I load up my videos they look like crap!

Very nice. Welcome to POA.

What settings are you using? When I load up my videos they look like crap!

Thanks!

The various clips were all shot at either 720p or 1080p resolution with either 30 or 60 frames per second. I rendered the final video out at 720p resolution at 30 frames per second in H.264 format using Final Cut Pro's high quality H.264 codec. I suspect that Vimeo/YouTube transcode the video themselves, but they won't make it any better so I started with the best I could do.

Thanks!

The various clips were all shot at either 720p or 1080p resolution with either 30 or 60 frames per second. I rendered the final video out at 720p resolution at 30 frames per second in H.264 format using Final Cut Pro's high quality H.264 codec. I suspect that Vimeo/YouTube transcode the video themselves, but they won't make it any better so I started with the best I could do.

Thanks CP,

That is an amazingingly clear video. Will try your suggestions.

Nice bit of acro flying also. Do you have inverted fuel and oil for your 4 point roll?

ok, am I the only one who's gonna have nightmares about that freaky monkey? other than that, great vid!

:)

ok, am I the only one who's gonna have nightmares about that freaky monkey? other than that, great vid!

:)

No, both my kids as well as my wife jumped a bit when they saw it...mission accomplished :)

Thanks CP,

That is an amazingingly clear video. Will try your suggestions.

Nice bit of acro flying also. Do you have inverted fuel and oil for your 4 point roll?

No - I cheat a bit by keeping a small bit of +G on the wing, which is why they aren't perfectly horizontal. For the small amount of time at negative G, the engine works just fine - there's enough fuel in the system and the engine is fuel injected - it just dumps oil out the breather and makes a mess. I'll accept not having to clean up a mess in exchange for less-than-perfectly flat horizontal lines :)

No, both my kids as well as my wife jumped a bit when they saw it...mission accomplished :)

Nice! I have an 8 that I am learning acro in. I hesitated do the 4 point due to no inverted oil or fuel, but after seeing your video I'm gonna "roll" that way. ;)

Back