This is an interesting cockpit...

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
2yxi4is.jpg

Higher resolution: http://oi43.tinypic.com/t7k85y.jpg

Shuttle training aircraft, a Gulfstream II.

That's how I originally found the picture.
Without knowing what it is, it looks like the engineers that made it never spoke to each other.

Last edited:
What happened to those now that the shuttle program ended?

Joystick on the left side the give away.

A multiple other aircraft use similar sticks, C-17 comes to mine. For me the give away was that attitude indicator (what's the proper name for it in this case?), I only seen that on space shuttle pictures. And then the throttle on the left confirmed it.

A multiple other aircraft use similar sticks, C-17 comes to mine. For me the give away was that attitude indicator (what's the proper name for it in this case?), I only seen that on space shuttle pictures. And then the throttle on the left confirmed it.
Not quite....the shuttle and previous spacecraft had a 3axis joystick because there was no way to control roll because there were no pedals in Mercury. The joystick rotates to control the roll, rather revoluntionary.

Not quite....the shuttle and previous spacecraft had a 3axis joystick because there was no way to control roll because there were no pedals in Mercury. The joystick rotates to control the roll, rather revoluntionary.

To identify the stick just by the 3rd axis you have to know exactly what your looking at....which I assume you did. Because I know about the 3rd axis, but I would still not be able to identify that that stick moves that way (if all you showed me was the stick).

To identify the stick just by the 3rd axis you have to know exactly what your looking at....which I assume you did. Because I know about the 3rd axis, but I would still not be able to identify that that stick moves that way (if all you showed me was the stick).
Well, I didn't exactly cheat, but having worked for NASA many years and familiar with the shuttle training systems (I've crashed the Apollo full motion sim many many times) it was easy. Displays on the two sides of the panel are very different. And how many aircraft do you know that have a yoke on one side and a joystick (flight hand controller) on the other?

Well, I didn't exactly cheat, but having worked for NASA many years and familiar with the shuttle training systems (I've crashed the Apollo full motion sim many many times) it was easy.

I knew it! You know much more about it than an average pilot! :D

Displays on the two sides of the panel are very different. And how many aircraft do you know that have a yoke on one side and a joystick (flight hand controller) on the other?

Yeah that's the main reason why I posted it.

BTW, do the rudder pedals on the shuttle control the RCS in any way when in space?

Know of any that use a stick on one side and a yoke on the other?

Pedals are generally used to control yaw, the shuttle had pedals.

There are two planes called the Variable-Response Research Aircraft (VRA) now owned by the University of Tennessee. One has a stick on the right side for the "evaluation pilot" and a yoke on the left for the safety pilot. The other has two yokes (left side for the experiment, right side for safety).

They were built out of Navions by Princeton in the sixties. I'm not able to find a photo of N55UT's cockpit which is the one with the stick.

That's how I originally found the picture.
Without knowing what it is, it looks like the engineers that made it never spoke to each other.

What makes you think engineers talk to eachother? :D

That is a neat setup. I've heard that they take the G-II up high and then put out gear, flaps, and thrust reverses to provide an equivalent glide ratio.

Joystick on the left side the give away.

I had a sneaking suspicion in might be something like that, but I actually Googled "NASA 946" (visible in the hi res image on the right side of the cockpit) and ended up with the full story on the plane.

The original Calspan variable stability Lear 24 had a center stick and a sidestick on the right side and a yoke on the left. Not sure what the current VS Lear(s) have but it's probably similar.

Nauga,
and his poles and zeros

Engineers mostly grunt and draw stuff on napkins. I get so much grief from my coworkers. I cannot discuss anything with out a pencil or pen in my hand to point with.

Engineers mostly grunt and draw stuff on napkins. I get so much grief from my coworkers. I cannot discuss anything with out a pencil or pen in my hand to point with.

I've been ready to kill whoever took down our whiteboard in our cube area all week, while trying to teach the newbie. I had to go find the annoying rolling one.

Back