This is a real Bummer.

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Who would think that being amember of two different aircraft clubs that something could come up that would keep me from being able to use either one.

And I am looking ahead to needing one for Sunday to go from Lancaster, Pa to Nashville to see my granddaughter, and then taking her to the Outer Banks for a weeks vacation. Then turn around and reverse that for the following weekend.:hairraise:
This is not a good driving trip. Commercial doesn't get us where we want to go, and certainly not in a reasonable time frame.

Tiger has nose torque tube problems.:(
Aztec has had it's nose wheel travel limits exceeded and broke the collar. I wish I could know what line guys did this.:mad:

I am trying to get a good deal on a rental, but it will still cost a fortune. Man, the things I do just to visit the grandkid. I sure wish they lived closer.:rolleyes:

I feel for you man, I really do. It's a pain when all of your airplane options are struck down in maintenance, and its happening more and more often to me.

I understand.

Aztec Driver said:
Who would think that being amember of two different aircraft clubs that something could come up that would keep me from being able to use either one.

And I am looking ahead to needing one for Sunday to go from Lancaster, Pa to Nashville to see my granddaughter, and then taking her to the Outer Banks for a weeks vacation. Then turn around and reverse that for the following weekend.:hairraise:
This is not a good driving trip. Commercial doesn't get us where we want to go, and certainly not in a reasonable time frame.

Tiger has nose torque tube problems.:(
Aztec has had it's nose wheel travel limits exceeded and broke the collar. I wish I could know what line guys did this.:mad:

I am trying to get a good deal on a rental, but it will still cost a fortune. Man, the things I do just to visit the grandkid. I sure wish they lived closer.:rolleyes:

Well it coudd be worse. You could of been the owners of these planes and have the repair bill to face. :yes: I know what you mean when it comes to doing things for the grandkids.

Aztec Driver said:
It is worse. I am one of the owners of the Aztec. :mad:

Then look on the bright side, it'll only get better.

I've had four long X/C flights cancelled within as many months. Each flight involved in depth planning for up to 7 aprts and 2-3 pax. All cancelled due to mx. The last one was the kicker: because the flying club uses all their rentals for instruction the 100 hour came due 3 days prior to my reservation slot. No one bothered to tell me they decided to make an early annual out of it. Wait, there's more: 5 of the 11 a/c were down at the same time for SCHEDULED mx!

So in the middle of having half the line down for mx they decide to spend two weeks on a premature annual. What helium head decided that? The upshot was I didn't get the chance to bust any FARs.

An FBO at ASE exceeded my turning limits on my Mooney. Had to get the fork rewelded. The owner, who will remain un-named, claimed that nothing short of proof (videotape) that his people did it plus the tiedown disclaimer, absolved him. That meant conducting a cross states lawsuit....$$$s.

I fixed the thing. At least you have multiple owners to share the hit.

Dispatch reliability is one of my highest priorities. I do all major maintenence items at least 2 months prior to a trip to allow for "waiting for parts" and unforseen delays. Only have cancelled one trip in six years. I have cheap annuals- but I have really constant montly work orders for this and that.

bbchien said:
An FBO at ASE exceeded my turning limits on my Mooney. Had to get the fork rewelded. The owner, who will remain un-named, claimed that nothing short of proof (videotape) that his people did it plus the tiedown disclaimer, absolved him. That meant conducting a cross states lawsuit....$$$s.

I'm always worried about this happening. The times that I do say something to the FBO they always respond with something like "my line workers deal with those kinds of planes every day..." It is REALLY easy with a power tow to exceed the limits.

What do you look for on the ground to see if damage was done? What part bends etc?

Iceman said:
I'm always worried about this happening. The times that I do say something to the FBO they always respond with something like "my line workers deal with those kinds of planes every day..." It is REALLY easy with a power tow to exceed the limits.

What do you look for on the ground to see if damage was done? What part bends etc?

There's a small shoulder on the turnnion that runs up against a stop in the telescopic tube. The smushed trunnion has a diagonal surface to the "stop ledge", the good one has a 90 degree face on the stop ledge....

Aztec Driver said:
Man, the things I do just to visit the grandkid. I sure wish they lived closer.:rolleyes:
I know how you feel. My daughter and granddaughter live in New Zealand, 6000 miles away. I miss them desparately and only get to go see them once a year. I am missing so much of her growing up. If only I had a BBJ :yes:
Stephen.

bbchien said:
nothing short of proof (videotape) that his people did it plus the tiedown disclaimer, absolved him.

I have been thinking of getting one of those anti-towing devices. I have only heard about them, not seen them but someone said they lock onto the nosewheel scissors? Increased risk if forgotten I imagine.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I have been thinking of getting one of those anti-towing devices. I have only heard about them, not seen them but someone said they lock onto the nosewheel scissors? Increased risk if forgotten I imagine.

I haven't had any problems so far, but I've been really paranoid about it because my old airplane will only take the kind of control lock that is a stick telescoped against the control wheel and the rudder pedals. Any attempt to tow would result in a broken control wheel.

In the past, I have merely hung over the FBO person until I see them put DO NOT TOW in big red letters on the fuel bill. But now, in addition to doing that, I have one of those great big DO NOT TOW banners to hang off the prop in front of the nosewheel. After that, it's all prayer that the line folks have IQs greater than 50.

Judy

bbchien said:

One of the line staff here did that to the Comanche right in front of the lead mechanic. YIKES. No denying it.

Let'sgoflying! said:

I have a lock device that fits through the tube into which the towbar is inserted on a Mooney. Unfortunately it no longer is effective because these days most FBO's have tow devices that "scoop" the front wheel off the ground rather than attach at a traditional tow bar attach point. The tow still turns the aircaft steering trunion, so it is still quite easy to exceed any turning limits, but now there is no way to "lock-out" the usual towbar attach point and stop towing.

Ed Guthrie said:
I have a lock device that fits through the tube into which the towbar is inserted on a Mooney. Unfortunately it no longer is effective because these days most FBO's have tow devices that "scoop" the front wheel off the ground rather than attach at a traditional tow bar attach point. The tow still turns the aircaft steering trunion, so it is still quite easy to exceed any turning limits, but now there is no way to "lock-out" the usual towbar attach point and stop towing.

That one scares me too. I think the scooping action itself can cause damage if not done right. I did see a turntable device that pivots under the nosewheel. Pretty slick, allowed tighter turns and the nose didn't turn. Believe it was at 4-Corners - ABQ

Bryon. Aerotech should take care of you on a rental, although that means skyhawk or archer. At least your other partners own a flight school. Not the trip it would have been in 40504, but better than nothing.

Jim G

Iceman said:

On the Mooney you end up with a kink in the nose gear trunion. Easy to see or feel for if you know where to look.

I had a similar situation to Dr B except I didn't know where the problem occurred. The Mooney was new to me and I didn't know what to look for and where to look on the preflight. Needless to say, now a required preflight item, especially when parking anywhere besides my hanger.

When I replaced the trunion the mechanic use an improved part that is supposed to prevent the nose gear from being turned past the turn limit. I don't know if the new part will prevent damage or just cause damage elsewhere. IIRC the part cost was $400.

When I park in a strange place for any length of time I ask if I'm parked in a spot where I'm not likely to be moved. I also mention the tow limit. Usual response is as reported above "we get these planes all the time". To that I reply, that's what the guy who broke it the last time said. I try to do that with a friendly voice so the person behind the counter knows I'm not busting his chops but still get the message across.

At the "big city" type FBOs I'll often write "Do Not Tow" in the special instruction space provided. Of course, my fear is that a giant thunderstorm will roll through with grapefruit sized hail and the FBO will tell me that they would have moved my plane into the hanger but for the Do Not Tow instruction. :</

Len

I'm still not too sure what to look for...is there a web site that goes over this?

Does this picuture help at all?

Iceman said:
I'm still not too sure what to look for...is there a web site that goes over this?

Chris,

The picture is a good one. A picture from the back of the nose wheel would be better but I'll try to explain where the kink occurred on my aircraft.

Just above the shock absorber biscuits you see two diagonal members that run to the top of the nose gear. Behind those two diagonal members you see one of two other diagonal members with a smaller diameter. The smaller diameter diagonal member in the back is what was kinked on my aircraft.

Len

grattonja said:
Bryon. Aerotech should take care of you on a rental, although that means skyhawk or archer. At least your other partners own a flight school. Not the trip it would have been in 40504, but better than nothing.

Jim G

Jim,

They did a great job for a rental price, but it is still waaaaayyyy more than flying your own plane. Not to mention the fact that flying your own plane costs waaayyy more than taking the airlines, but that's a different argument. I settled for a convoluted combination of Southwest airlines and the rental Cougar. Now i just have to hope for reasonable weather.

Bonanza said:
I know how you feel. My daughter and granddaughter live in New Zealand, 6000 miles away. I miss them desparately and only get to go see them once a year. I am missing so much of her growing up. If only I had a BBJ :yes:
Stephen.

That's a real depressing thought. I am sorry. I am not sure what I would do in your case. It's hard to go from having them live with you for the first three years, to having them 800 miles away, I can't even imagine 6000.

If it's not too late and if it's not too far, Hortman Aviation has Tigers on the rental line. Wings is closer, with Skyhawks, an Arrow, and a Seneca on the line. I've had wonderful experiences with both.

Joe Williams said:
If it's not too late and if it's not too far, Hortman Aviation has Tigers on the rental line. Wings is closer, with Skyhawks, an Arrow, and a Seneca on the line. I've had wonderful experiences with both.

Thanks Joe, but I had to get everything together by yesterday. I appreciate the help from everyone though.

Iceman said:

The spots where damage occurs are inside the wheel well and can not be seen on the photo.

To get an idea of what to look for, see the attached Mooney Parts Manual drawing. The damage occurs to component #11 in the drawing, about precisely where the component # arrow is pointing. Next time you are out near your Mooney, look up into the forward area of the nose gear well and wiggle the nose gear left/right so as to view the turning mechanism. Note that the component indicated as #11 rotates left/right, and note that at the right turn limit the point where the arrow is indicating will come into contact with a frame tube in the nose gear well. Note that the correspond section of the same part will contact the corresponding frame tube member in a left turn. The contact points are the potential damage areas.

Early Mooney's the contact area is tube against tube. The frame tube is more sturdy, so the trunion tube takes the hit. A minor dent (about the thickness of a paint chip) is a mandatory replacement. Later Mooney's the contact area is literally a welded bolt hex head. Most early model Mooney's have long since been converted to the new style trunion or an STC repair equivalent.

Back