This is a buckled firewall

Possum

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Frank
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg A friend shared these pics of a rental 172 that had a buckled firewall from a hard landing. Repairs were over 20K.

Damn. One of my favorite things about this site is when you guys post pictures like this. Not necessarily of damage, but just anything 'under the hood'. Without having any kind of wrenching background, this kind of thing is still really new and interesting to me.

How hard did they hit? That’s the real question.

(I know I know, answer is “Hard enough to buckle the firewall...) :)

From a friend......the 172 is a rental that is flown by several pilots and also used for flight instruction. No one stepped forward with a confession so it is not known any details of the incident. It was discovered during a routine oil change. I believe insurance paid a claim for a portion of the repairs.

172 at the flight school had a NG landing. New prop $8K, firewall repair $17K, engine teardown around $20 K.
Insurance elected to total it. Next day or two find out about the PA28-140 that had NG damage from landing yesterday.

55208272759__354044C5-743A-41CF-89FA-66CF49893AB2.JPG
IMG_3819.JPG

I dunno, it must have been that way when I started flying it...I didn't break it, I just did a crumby job at pre-flight.

Hard landing? At what point is it a crash?!
Why, when you can't walk away from it of course! :eek: I too appreciate the pics with the areas highlighted. I'm not an A&P or metal worker so pointing out the areas of interest/concern makes the post way more valuable. Thank you @Possum.

Why, when you can't walk away from it of course! :eek:
If you can walk away from it -- Good landing.
If the airplane is re-usable for another flight -- Great landing.

A crash is what happens to your car on the way home from the airport.

Damn. One of my favorite things about this site is when you guys post pictures like this. Not necessarily of damage, but just anything 'under the hood'. Without having any kind of wrenching background, this kind of thing is still really new and interesting to me.

Did I ever post my turbine wheels from the hot section? Those were expensive...

'Tis only a scratch'......

What is 'NG'?

Back