This I just don't get....

Missa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AsGoodAsCake
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=dd5fdd46-67e2-4b13-a54f-879141c35b32&

Lets see... I live in a metro area where no one can buy a house, many are in forclosure and I probbally couldn't see mine for 1/2 what it's worth right now. To top it off I'm in one of the less attractive subburbs because I'm right next to the airport. Now the airport wants to buy my house for expansion and I could probally find a house in a nicer 'burbs for a good price since all the 'burbs are having forclosure problems. And I'm upset why?!?!?!?!?!

Missa

I don't know... why?

If the airport wants to pay a good price in a buyers market, why not take the money and move?

Not really you need to know the rest of story.

First they don't want to buy your house now, but in 8 - 10 years. So if the plan is approved your depressed home value goes to worthless. Who is going to buy it now that the Government will be probably buying it in 8 years. Since they always pay top dollar when they tear down whole area's it will be a great oppurtunity to make money on the property right? (facetious)

Oh so you were planning to sell the home you've owned for 30 years in 3 years when you retire and use that money to move to FL and retire on. Sorry, we may need to expand the airport in our 25 year plan so your property just became worthless.

Were going through the same thing here with Bridge Plaza expansion. The "prefered option" will take a few hundred homes, 50 businesses, 30% of the tax base and cut the city in half. But then again maybe not, they will let you know if that house your planning to sell is viable or not in another year or so, still working on the impact statement and the current set of lawsuits.

They have obviously never been to Romulus.... even if it takes away some of the bussness the strippers can always get new jobs in Taylor.

I know they go for the no teeth look in Taylor, do the Johns go for the gold teeth look there too?

... your depressed home value goes to worthless.
Not quite. There is a difference between "unmarketable" and "worthless". It still has "value in use". But these terms are but nits in your beard, your point is valid.

-Skip

I know they go for the no teeth look in Taylor, do the Johns go for the gold teeth look there too?

Your right... I was thinking Inkster and wrote Taylor. Taylor has the Citybillys and Inskster has that nice strip of Michigan Avenue where it's either old insane asylum, liquer store or strip club. I've been gone from the State for two years now and I've aslready started to forget.... thankfully.

Missa;)

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=dd5fdd46-67e2-4b13-a54f-879141c35b32&

Lets see... I live in a metro area where no one can buy a house, many are in forclosure and I probbally couldn't see mine for 1/2 what it's worth right now. To top it off I'm in one of the less attractive subburbs because I'm right next to the airport. Now the airport wants to buy my house for expansion and I could probally find a house in a nicer 'burbs for a good price since all the 'burbs are having forclosure problems. And I'm upset why?!?!?!?!?!

Missa

Why do you care, you live in beautiful warm and sunny Willamsport, PA?

;)

If you are like me you hate to move. I had rather go 10 rounds with the heavyweight champ then move my junk again. :dunno: Bob

When Hartsfield was expanded for the fifth runway, twice they underestimated what was going to be needed. So, two extra times they had to do a fast buyout of warehouses and homes. I'm sure that made up a substantial portion of the budget overrun. I won't even get into things like the conveyor built that was supposedly a fourth of the cost of trucking in the required fill dirt.

When governments contract for such projects, only the politicians and their cronies gain anything on the deal.

I'm guessing this DTW plan is shooting so far into the future before any buyouts is hedging bets on values increasing and will save substantially in the end. Someone is going to gain on this plan and it won't be the property owners or taxpayers.

I understand that the homeowners and taxpayers will probally not get the best deal but then agian they bought property around an airport... the airport was built out there so that it was away from the city in the middle of a farm feild. The airport was there first. If you buy property by the airport and then complain about the airport... it's your own bloody fault.

Getting away from the airport with some change in your pocket is a good thing.

I understand that the homeowners and taxpayers will probally not get the best deal but then agian they bought property around an airport... the airport was built out there so that it was away from the city in the middle of a farm feild. The airport was there first. If you buy property by the airport and then complain about the airport... it's your own bloody fault.

Getting away from the airport with some change in your pocket is a good thing.
You knew it and acknowledge it and were probably happy to hear the sweet sound of a turbine flying over. But, there are a lot of cry babies living to the south of DEN who think otherwise. Nothing but cows were out there before the airport.

I don't mind the noise - I do object to "eminent domain" condemning/seizing/buying of private property. Like conscription, it strikes me as a society deciding to sacrifice some of its citizens interests for the greater good. Unlike conscription, there's generally no "fair warning" and little debate.

I don't mind the noise - I do object to "eminent domain" condemning/seizing/buying of private property. Like conscription, it strikes me as a society deciding to sacrifice some of its citizens interests for the greater good. Unlike conscription, there's generally no "fair warning" and little debate.

I understand your point, and it sucks to take someone's house or property.

But, without eminent domain, we would not have the following:

1) Roads;
2) Airports;
3) Schools;
4) Military facilities;
5) National parks;
6) Ports;
7) Courthouses;
8) Municipal buildings;
9) Countless other facilities that are essential to our individual lives and to our society.

And, the process is not as unfair as you portray it. Basically, the way it works is that the State offers you what it believes to be fair market value (FMV) for what it is taking - and that FMV is based on what the land would be worth if it were not being taken, so you suffer no detriment simply because eminent domain is involved. If you don't agree with that assessment, you make a counteroffer, and if an arrangement still can't be made, a jury sorts it out for you.

While it sucks having a home taken, that is the price that ALL of us pay for having the items listed above.

When Hartsfield was expanded for the fifth runway, twice they underestimated what was going to be needed. So, two extra times they had to do a fast buyout of warehouses and homes. I'm sure that made up a substantial portion of the budget overrun. I won't even get into things like the conveyor...

I stopped reading right there because I had this acute flash of panic and dread wash over me.

:D

I stopped reading right there because I had this acute flash of panic and dread wash over me.

:D
ROFL.gif
I thought about "other things" when I wrote that.

But, it really was an issue for ATL while building the fifth runway. They were supposed to spend $13 million on a five-mile-long conveyor system to move dirt while it would cost nearly $70 million to move dirt by truck, not to mention the traffic.

Strangely, it didn't quite work out that way. I don't know the final cost as I can't find that data now. It's been a while since I've read other sources. Maybe something about having too many other flying-related books to bury my head in.

I understand your point, and it sucks to take someone's house or property.

But, without eminent domain, we would not have the following:
Yes, but let's not forget things like private industry:
"The case pitted the city of New London, Connecticut, against homeowner Susette Kelo and six other families who were trying to keep the municipality from condemning their homes for use as part of a redevelopment project, centered around a $270 million global research facility built by the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/23/AR2005062300783_pf.html

"Nothing is to prevent the State from replacing any Motel 6 with a Ritz-Carlton, any home with a shopping mall, or any farm with a factory."" --- Sandra Day O'Connor

Last edited:
Yes, but let's not forget things like private industry:
"The case pitted the city of New London, Connecticut, against homeowner Susette Kelo and six other families who were trying to keep the municipality from condemning their homes for use as part of a redevelopment project, centered around a $270 million global research facility built by the pharmaceutical giant Pfizer."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/23/AR2005062300783_pf.html

"Nothing is to prevent the State from replacing any Motel 6 with a Ritz-Carlton, any home with a shopping mall, or any farm with a factory."" --- Sandra Day O'Connor

I know...and I disagree with Kelo. To the point that had those folks stood up to the government, I would have joined them.

Back