this hits you hard

Yeah that sucks Rob! Nothin else to say. It makes it so much more personal. You hear about crashes but this is a plane that you have touched that you have flown, you have held the very yoke that he held in your own hands. Sad day. I must say for having gotten his PPL in March of 05' he has certainly put on some hours.

I think it took him 300 hours to the PPL.

People, seem to be averaging one fatal crash on an airplane I've flown every year. Last year one of my instructors spun a 172SP in over Coney Island. I saw him and his 3 pax. leave on that trip.

Last edited:
WOW Rob I remember that crash over Coney Island. It was a sight seeing trip. Did the NTSB every issue a final report on what happened.

That's just too bad. I understand exactly what you're saying. Just the other day I went to look up a Sundowner that I used to fly and it said the N number was canceled. Under reason, it listed "Destroyed".

I remember that within a month of my ticket one of my CFIs crashed a C-310 and my DPE hydroplaned off the runway in a King Air carrying the Governor.

Last edited:
I know the feeling, Rob. A year or two ago an Arrow that I did my complex in crashed killing both persons aboard. It's always sad...

From what I've heard from the airport folks, it looks like the plane got some carb ice. There was a highway nearby which could have made a landing site, but the pilot elected to try for an acess road instead. Apparently the fire broke out almost immediatly after the accident.

Wow, you don't often think of carb ice in July.

^^^^ true i dont care what anybody says..i always use carb heat..even in the summer when its hot and very humid... even on aircraft like the warrior i fly that requires no carb heat anytime unless necessary, as per the POH..

Ant

I wonder how they know it was carb ice! I mean by the time the get to the crash site the ice would surely have melted!

Sad!

A friend of mine recently crashed her airplane in the backcounty, but miraculously survived. N2434G

AdamZ said:
I wonder how they know it was carb ice! I mean by the time the get to the crash site the ice would surely have melted!
I spoke with my instructor this morning, he was in the pattern at KCDW (about 6 nm from the crash site) when the striken pilot contacted KCDW tower with a Mayday. My instructor talked with him, and the pilot said that he was only able to get 1400 (I think) rpm on the engine at WOT. My instructor later went out and simulated his flight, and he said that a 172 with only 1400 and at 65 will not maintain altitude with full tanks.
My instructor also stated that he once had carb ice himself which somehow melted before he had to put the plane down on a freeway. He said that the pilot's broadcasts all were consistant with a carb full of ice.

Keep in mind this is just an unofficial chat I had with my instructor who happened to be present, and since it is now subject to two memories, probably contains at least a few errors.

Back