This HAS to mean good luck...

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
Or birds of a feather... something like that.

-Rich

Attachments

• 1009121115.jpg
    1009121115.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 113
you should have saved the phonot for talk-like-a-pirate day. :)

I think JD's lyrics were "sunshine on my shoulders" making me happy, as opposed to bird-poop. Just sayin'.

Did it make a nest in your beard, Rich?

:D

My cockatiels do that all the time ;)

That is cool Rich. I've often wondered why birds like Cardinals or Blue Jays were never domesticated.

Attachments

• CIMG0173.JPG
    CIMG0173.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • P3250011.JPG
    P3250011.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • CIMG0717.JPG
    CIMG0717.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I'm looking at that photo and I see the beard, the ruddy complexion the plaid flannel shirt and wonder .........How the hell did you ever live in NYC?

I'm looking at that photo and I see the beard, the ruddy complexion the plaid flannel shirt and wonder .........How the hell did you ever live in NYC?

I seriously don't know how I made it all those years.

I'm also not sure what kind of bird that is. Some kind of finch, I guess. I almost stepped on it -- or possibly worse -- while doing the leaves. I reached down, it hopped on my finger, and I put it on my shoulder to take the picture. It sat there for a while as I did odds and ends, and then flew away.

It kind of made my day, actually.

-Rich

I seriously don't know how I made it all those years.

I'm also not sure what kind of bird that is. Some kind of finch, I guess. I almost stepped on it -- or possibly worse -- while doing the leaves. I reached down, it hopped on my finger, and I put it on my shoulder to take the picture. It sat there for a while as I did odds and ends, and then flew away.

It kind of made my day, actually.

-Rich
Actually NYC is a good place to be from,,,,, a long ways from.

My cockatiels do that all the time ;)

That is cool Rich. I've often wondered why birds like Cardinals or Blue Jays were never domesticated.
They're pretty territorial and quite nasty, as far as I can tell. Robins, too. Not really "flockers" like parrots, finches, etc. I'm very happy just to spot one outside doing its thing... same with raptors. Breaks my heart to see a captive raptor of any kind.

No idea what species Rich's little friend is, but they're pretty common back here in the NYC area, too... had one in the house the other day (open windows and no screens, it left eventually), and saw a dead one on the sidewalk just yesterday. :(

This old building has a large (defunct) brick chimney attached, and there are swifts in there... every now and then I'll see them swarm out of there to hunt; they are amazing aviators!

Several years ago during the Spring I'd keep getting woken up at the crack of dawn by a Robin continously banging into a window on the front of my house. I finally figured out it was seeing its own reflection in the window thinking it was another Robin on its territory. It was waking me up too early every morning and was actually affecting how I felt at work during the day as I was not getting enough sleep. They are REALLY territorial.

Last edited:
Several years ago during the Spring I'd keep getting woken up at the crack of dawn by a Robin continously baging into a window on the front of my house. I finally figured out it was seeing its own reflection in the window thinking it was another Robin on its territory. It was waking me up too early every morning and was actually affecting how I felt at work during the day as I was not getting enough sleep. They are REALLY territorial.

They're very interesting birds. I had some build a nest on the porch at my last place, and I read up on them.

What was funny is that they tolerated me, and didn't even seem to mind when I climbed up on a chair to take pictures of the kids; but they would alert and fly away when my neighbor came around. I guess they have some ability to identify particular humans who they've decided aren't a threat, probably because I sat out there drinking cappuccino a couple of times a day and they got used to me.

But then again, animals in general seem to like me -- or at tolerate me. I've had deer, skunks, a fox last week, bears once in a while, and a few other animals just sort of hang out with me since I've been living up here; and of course, there was the finch(?) yesterday. They also seem to think that the veggies and such I throw on what was supposed to be a compost heap are actually food for them, which I guess is okay. I enjoy their presence and friendship more than I actually have any need for compost.

This thing with the animals liking me is the main reason I don't hunt. There's no challenge in shooting something that doesn't have the good sense to be afraid of me.

Back to the robins, I think they have already migrated from here. I haven't noticed any in a week or so.

-Rich

I had a Cardinal at our bathroom window every morning for about 9 months! :mad2:It flew up and down, didn't really peck, just sat there and once in a while flew up about half way and back down. It drove the dogs crazy for a while, then they started ignoring it.:dunno:
Several years ago during the Spring I'd keep getting woken up at the crack of dawn by a Robin continously banging into a window on the front of my house. I finally figured out it was seeing its own reflection in the window thinking it was another Robin on its territory. It was waking me up too early every morning and was actually affecting how I felt at work during the day as I was not getting enough sleep. They are REALLY territorial.

Back