This has officially become a relic....

There was a 41CV up on the Goodwill auction site today - pushing $180....

Two years ago I sold a BNIB HP-41CX for $800 on eBay. Someone in France bought it.

Wow--I have two of the things, although not brand new. Well-used, in fact, to this day. To tell the truth, I'd rather have them than the money. Hewlett-Packard doesn't make nice calculators any more, or anything nice for that matter--one of the saddest Silicon Valley stories ever.

Tim

Hewlett-Packard doesn't make nice calculators any more, or anything nice for that matter--one of the saddest Silicon Valley stories ever.

So sad and so true. I wish they still made the 42S. I am afraid if something happens to mine, I would have to retire :).

So sad and so true. I wish they still made the 42S. I am afraid if something happens to mine, I would have to retire :).

The way these old HP's are selling on Ebay, mine may well FUND my retirement!

I used an SR-50 in college then retired it and picked up an HP 11c. I still use the 11c at work. On only the second set of batteries since getting it in 83. Best part us that no one can borrow it. First thing they do is look for the clear and = keys then give up and hand it back.

A Little History

I made it thru High School and got into College with my Post Versalog.....but when I got back from 'Nam, I couldn't find it in the mess that was left of my stuff.

attachment.php

Wait...is that what those fancy metal landing pattern calculators look like?!

I have an HP-28C that got me through my ME undergrad. I pull it out every once in a while just to play with it. It still has the piece of tape holding the battery cover on.

I can't recall how much I paid for it, but I know I had to eat Raman noodles for quite a while after buying it.

Right after I bought mine, HP came out with a newer model that had 32k of RAM. I had never heard of such a thing. I could program everything (even graphs) in my 2k with room to spare. Who would ever need 32k?

Was I the only one with a HP48GX? I programmed the tone generator to accept a multidimensional array to play popular songs :)

Was I the only one with a HP48GX? I programmed the tone generator to accept a multidimensional array to play popular songs :)

Nope. I bought the SX a few weeks before the GX came out. They let me return it for the latest and greatest in high tech calculators.
And it's still on my desk and I still use it.

Hah! I've got the business version of that (17BII). Just used it 5 minutes ago.

I like a few of the functions on business calculators and using a real one separate from the desktop or laptop computer when monkeying with a financial spreadsheet.

RPN or scientific? Sitting in the desk drawer unused.

I still use my 41CV. Every decade or so I have to make a Radio Shack run for a new set of N cells. :D

Radio Shack no longer has anything not related to a cell phone . . .

They will be the first major retailer to fail in 2015 - followed shortly by either KMart or Jacques Pennay . . .

Never seen that. I have a ft and inches slide rule at work called an add feet junior that is interesting I will post a pic of it next week.

Had 50 cent pine wood slide rule, worked fine and even predicted the weather (swelled up in high humidity -- used baby power to keep it moving smoothly.)

While at College of Holy Cross a salesman had those boat paddle wide slide rulers on sale for $2.00, an incredibl sale price -- and I bought one, but the next year the electronic calculators came out. And that explained the "dump them now" sale price.

Last edited:
The DAY I graduated from the Industrial Engineering School at the UW, Hewlett Packard introduced the HP-35.

By the time I bought one it was a HP-45.

Two years ago I sold a BNIB HP-41CX for $800 on eBay. Someone in France bought it.

Now that you live in eastern Washington have you asked for forgiveness for your sin of attending the mistake on the lake? :D

Radio Shack no longer has anything not related to a cell phone . . .

They will be the first major retailer to fail in 2015 - followed shortly by either KMart or Jacques Pennay . . .

They very well could. But, they do have more than just cell phone stuff. I bought some thermal grease at the local Rat Shack a few months ago. :yes:

I had a friend with a Pickett slide rule.

Obscure thing to remember, but since I assume the statute of limitations is long past...

I was flying to Europe in 1970 to pick up a BMW motorcycle. Icelandic Airways had a student discount. Unfortunately, I was no longer a student, so...

I clipped out the Pickett logo and came up with this:

16230675346_1ea8688aa9.jpg

Anyway, it worked!

Back