This guy would have to report to FAA

JeffDG

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
JeffDG
There are intoxicating substances which don't show up on breathalyzers but do affect dilation and focus of the eyes. That said, merely having bloodshot eyes doesn't sound like grounds for even "reasonable suspicion" of DUI to me.

Last edited:
There you go. Don't like a pilot have him swatted, only instead of sending the swat team call him in as a drunk driver until some dumbass cop makes it official.

There are intoxicating substances which don't show up on breathalyzers but do affect dilation and focus of the eyes. That said, merely having bloodshot eyes doesn't sound like grounds for even "reasonable suspicion" of DUI to me.

The article states a drug recognition expert examined him at the police station and found no evidence he was on drugs.

I assume that included dilation and reflexes, things of that nature.

Is it a DWI arrest, or a DWI conviction, that the FAA is interested in?

The article states a drug recognition expert examined him at the police station and found no evidence he was on drugs.

I assume that included dilation and reflexes, things of that nature.

or just a reasonable person that can recognize a worn out old guy on his way home from the gym.

I think this has been the subject of many knock down drag out wars between the usual suspects on here and I can't remember what the verdict was. I think even an arrest must be reported on the medical. Regardless of the outcome.

If, if, what the accused stated in the article was true, I wonder what was the officer thinking. I wonder what was the probable cause for the initial contact (stop). How many indicators were present, what tests were administered, what training and experience did the officer have. Just curious. You really have to be on point when working DUI cases. I wonder why any officer would take chances. As an officer if you are unsure about something get a second opinion, just ask.

Simply an arrest whether convicted or not. Which is complete horse****, especially in cases like this. Then all it takes is a ****ed off ex to call the cops and say you left such and such place driving drunk. Then you get to spend tens of thousands of dollars to fight the FAA.

If, if, what the accused stated in the article was true, I wonder what was the officer thinking. I wonder what was the probable cause for the initial contact (stop). How many indicators were present, what tests were administered, what training and experience did the officer have. Just curious. You really have to be on point when working DUI cases. I wonder why any officer would take chances. As an officer if you are unsure about something get a second opinion, just ask.

Why did I read the posts and think D-W-B?

Why did I then read the article and it specifically stated D-W-B?
No, I'm not clairvoyant.

Both. By the book, this guy would have to report the arrest in his next medical application, although I'm sure the explanation would involve laughter rather than deferral or denial.

Simply an arrest whether convicted or not. Which is complete horse****, especially in cases like this. Then all it takes is a ****ed off ex to call the cops and say you left such and such place driving drunk. Then you get to spend tens of thousands of dollars to fight the FAA.

It's more than just that the FAA. He will have issues if he chooses to travel to Canada and some other countries. A mere arrest (with the flag from driver licensing) is enough to trigger an investigation and possible refusal of permission to enter those countries. If he were to apply for a job, it would likely cause issues. Likewise gov't security clearances. "One strike and you're out".

One malicious (false) arrest can cause someone a real world of hurt.

Both. By the book, this guy would have to report the arrest in his next medical application, although I'm sure the explanation would involve laughter rather than deferral or denial.
They'd laugh when he says D-W-B??? or would they then ostrasize him for "playing the race card"?

It's more than just that the FAA. He will have issues if he chooses to travel to Canada and some other countries. A mere arrest (with the flag from driver licensing) is enough to trigger an investigation and possible refusal of permission to enter those countries. If he were to apply for a job, it would likely cause issues. Likewise gov't security clearances. "One strike and you're out".

One malicious (false) arrest can cause someone a real world of hurt.

In which case I would sue for a lot more than $500,000.

They'd laugh when he says D-W-B or would they then ostrasize him for "playing the race card"?
They would laugh when they heard that the only symptom was bloodshot eyes and that the BAC was zero and the drug expert said there were no symptoms of influence. Talking about DWB might be viewed as exhibiting an anti-authority attitude regardless of its accuracy.

Total police power overshoot to the max. I hope he sues, wins big time, and they fire the cops that did it to him. And the worst thing is yahoos like that make it that much worse for the 99% of the law enforcement community who do their jobs assiduously and professionally.

They would laugh when they heard that the only symptom was bloodshot eyes and that the BAC was zero and the drug expert said there were no symptoms of influence. Talking about DWB might be viewed as exhibiting an anti-authority attitude regardless of its accuracy.

Yeah, wouldn't want to be "getting out of his place", now would he?

"... the officer accused him of driving drunk.

“He walked up and he said ‘I can tell you’re driving DUI by looking in your eyes,’” Thornton told KNXV."

to which I would add ...

Thornton then said "Oh yeah? Well, I can tell you've been eating donuts because your eyes are all glazed over!"

Yeah, wouldn't want to be "getting out of his place", now would he?
If you take it that way, you're reading into it things which I didn't say. Just because the person is black doesn't mean that's why it happened -- make it about the cop being an idiot, not the accused being black, and it plays a lot better. Heck, we don't even know what color the cop was, do we?

If you take it that way, you're reading into it things which I didn't say. Just because the person is black doesn't mean that's why it happened -- make it about the cop being an idiot, not the accused being black, and it plays a lot better. Heck, we don't even know what color the cop was, do we?

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter.

Fact of the matter Ron is that this would NEVER happen to you, so you don't have that to worry about.

Several years ago, a county commissioner, on the night prior to election day, was out putting up signs at polling places, when it started to rain. He got soaked.

When he stopped at a Walgreens, to buy a coke, and off duty deputy claimed he was so drunk he wet his pants and reported him as a drunk driver.

He just happened to support freezing the Sheriff budget due to reduced tax collections.

Another deputy, this one on duty, waited across the street and arrested him for drunk driving when he pulled out of the lot. He was charged with drunk driving on the say so of a deputy that claimed he was an expert at determining drug, and alcohol use.

The Commissioner bonded out and went straight to a hospital for an independent blood test and it showed EXACTLY what the county test showed; ZERO blood alcohol, ZERO drugs.

The commissioner appeared on TV, in time for the six AM news and explained what happened and the public reelected him by the highest margin of his career.

Shortly thereafter the officer that claimed to be the greatest living expert, was banned from testifying in criminal cases as it was uncovered he had granted himself "expert" status.

Truth is that you cannot trust the police to be truthful, any longer. Haven't been able to for over twenty years.

Back