This did not turn out so good.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
I generally toss anything I get in the mailbox onto my dining room table and go through it every couple weeks or so because I do all my bill pay online and I don't normally expect much in the mail besides coupons I'll never use, FAAST stuff I won't attend, notices from ERAU and PanAm saying I can be a CFI there and eighteen bazillion credit card offers. Was a good thing I checked a couple weeks ago, I almost tossed my new Discover card, and a check from my bank for a loan overpayment, well I also found something in the pile from the FAA. I thought it was for an AD on the Cherokee I no longer have, and almost tossed that as well, but decided to open it.

After making a few calls over the past week and a half between myself and my lawyer and OKC and the DPE who did my private/IR/and comm ride and a meeting with FSDO it turns out I have some issues coming up here shortly. Could have been worse I suppose, but kind of screws my dad over.

It appears that my CFI who signed me off (I was the only student he ever signed off) got the microscope put on him for something else, and they started looking at everything of his, and of course I'm in his logbook, and here's where the problem for me (and now unfortunately my dad) begins. The last entries in his logbook (and mine) show the last flight he and I had together as 11/8/02 for 1.7 hours. There's also an 11/4/02 for 1.1 hours, and then 10/23/02 showing (two flights for a total of) 2.2 hours. He signed me off for the checkride on the 8th of November and I attempted to take the check ride later that month. I did the oral, but weather kept me from doing the flight portion. So, finally on January 8th, 2003 I took the flight portion and passed the ride, and got my private. But here's the issue: The FAA has no record of my letter of discontinuance! So, as far as the OKC is concerned I did not have 3 hours of training within 60 days of the check ride. The DPE says he did file the dicontinuance with the FAA, but they said they didn't get it, so it's like it never happened. Long story short, my private certificate was never valid! The non-existant private means I don't have my IR, my commercial, and here's where my dad gets screwed: No CFI. I had to surrender all of my all my certificates to the FSDO today at 11:00am. And OKC has cancelled processing my dad's certificate as well.

The only upside of this is they are not going violate me for over 550 hours of various flying without a student license, pilot certificate, under IFR without a rating, carrying passengers, etc. I can thank my lawyer for that bit of negotiation. He also was able to get them to allow all my hours that were solo, and all my training hours over the past 5 years, but I have to get the 3 hours of training for each ride, take all my writtens again, and all my check rides again if I want to continue, well actually I guess it's not continue since I never was, being a pilot.

And thanks to AdamZ for putting me in touch with my lawyer who was a savior for getting the Feds to lay off the violations.

So, after spending a huge chunk of money fighting this, I have to decide whether or not it is worth it to do it all over again. The airport manager/DPE at Hastings/Allegan is going to do all my dad's training for free, so he doesn't have to wait for me to make up my mind if I decide to go get my CFI again.

DAM ED... I really hope that this is one of the April fools threads.

Edit: The more I think about it the more I think the FAA can't be THAT idiotic... but you got me for a few Ed, first one who did today.

Last edited:
Glad the referral worked out for you. Always nice to know your friends and clients are being taken good care of.

All that story lacked was having the Terminator coming in...

The usage of the word "license" did it for me. Ed would never say that.

a student "certificate" says license on it.

Neither my dad nor I had 3 hours of flight training within 60 days of the completion of the check ride.

All the dates and hours are not falsified, well at least I got a couple on the red board with it. But I have wondered, what if the LoD did get lost somehow...

Last edited:
I gotta give you an A for effort on that one Ed. Sounded pretty credible. Knowing what today is though, I wasn't buying for a second. I guess April 1 wouldn't be a good day to try to tell anyone anything that really happened.

I found that small scale pranks work better, and one with all facts with just one hook make them the best.

A few years back I had just started playing in a flag football league, after having never played organized football before in my life. The first year I was pretty good, and the second year I was probably the best player in the league, and there were ex Division I players in the league, and after some prodding from teammates I tried out for the Arena League team here in town. But I tried out as a WR instead of a QB and while I didn't get an invite to join the team, I did make it all the way through to the final cuts. A couple weeks later the Arena team hosted a flag football tournament at their facility and my team happened to win it. The coaches for the AFL team were there along with the PR guy and they saw us play, and I pointed that out to my team as we were playing. Well, April 1 rolls around a couple weeks after that and I get a call from the PR guy - asking me if my team wanted to play in the next tourney. Everything up to this point was true, but I decided to have some fun with with my super-uber-football fan buddy who was on the team. And knew about everything except the phone call. I tweaked the story of the phone call from do you want to play in the next tourney to "The coach saw you at QB and remembered you from tryouts and wonders why you didn't try out for QB, and would you be interested in coming in for a private tryout with the team since the backup QB just got hurt in practice?"

This is what I tell my buddy and he is waaaaaay excited - someone he personally knows is going to be a professional football player!!! He told EVERYONE he knew for the next 4 hours as I had a good chuckle to myself. I called him back later to talk about something else, and asked him what day it was. His response was "Ed is a bast--d day." His brother had talked to him and said he'd been had, and my buddy had to spend the rest of the day/week/month explaining to people who asked how I did that it was a April Fool's joke.

Next year, I'm renting a billboard and putting his picture on it. I don't know what the caption is going to be yet, but I think it will be an $850 well spent. :rofl:

You had me until someone else mentioned it was April Fool's Day on this thread. I don't participate in the day's events, so I never think about it.

Odd, considering that Missa just walked into my cube with the April Fool's joke for her boyfriend (and let me tell you, she is evil). You'd think I'd remember the spirit of the day.

Oh, and GIVE ME BACK MY AVATAR!!! Although I like this one, too. :)

Odd, considering that Missa just walked into my cube with the April Fool's joke for her boyfriend (and let me tell you, she is evil).
I always wondered about that "sweet image" she was trying to put across on the board. :)

Ed, I used the same lawyer you did. Long story short, the university the guy attended (Universided de la Chico Rodriguez) isn't accredited, so his law school credits are inadmissible to the state bar. When he sat for the Bar Exam, he wasn't eligible. Any legal agreements he submitted to the FAA on your behalf are therefore nonbinding, and the FAA could decide to pursue violations against you. Suggest you get a new attorney.

Last edited:
Oh c'mon, ya can't leave us hangin' like that!!! What's she gonna do??? :dunno:

That is not for me to disclose, but I am simply informing the rest of you to be cautious. :D

I got shanghei'ed by a co-worker into assisting in a prank on his son and friend yesterday. It went further than I might have done on my own - still waiting to hear how it shook out, as the co-worker said "it will go until bed-time or midnight, whichever comes first. If I let him off the hook too soon, he has time for revenge."

The son and friend went shooting on Saturday, only to be turned away from the National Forest spot that has become a popular shooting area because a body was discovered there. Then, they ventured a bit too far down the road and left National Forest before setting up and shooting. Turns out they got a ticket for unlawful discharge of firearms in the county or some such thing. Anyway, the dad writes this script he has me read to his son and friend via a phone call, claiming to be a detective investigating the homicide on Saturday and their involvement. Gives a phone number they should call (to a Gag and Joke shop) to set up an appointment to come in for interview and bring the guns in for ballistic testing (to an address of the same Gag and Joke shop). Poor kids, I could almost hear their voices shaking as they took down the info and "yessir, nosir, yessir" on the phone.
I have yet to hear how the evening turned out... I still feel kinda bad, but I guess this is on-par with the April 1 tradition at their house.

And I'd rather keep you all guessing, so it looks like you all just get to keep wondering.

Yeah, but you know what that means... We'll just keep guessing raunchier and raunchier things until you wish you'd told us in the first place, so you might as well just tell us now and save your honor. :yes: :D

Yeah, but you know what that means... We'll just keep guessing raunchier and raunchier things until you wish you'd told us in the first place, so you might as well just tell us now and save your honor. :yes: :D

I will confirm or deny nothing.

Okay, so I'm just now getting around to reading this thread, and I didn't bother to look at the dates on the postings until after someone pointed out it was April Fools Day! Good one, Ed, you really had me!

Missa - what did you do?

If anyone asks, we'll just play like Schultz!:yes:
Schlitz?
images62schlitz.jpg

Come on Missa, go for the GUSTO!

Drinking that gives me the Schlitz.

Drinking that gives me the Schlitz.

It's Back!!!!

Schlitz, known as “the beer that made Milwaukee famous,” is bringing its original taste back to Chicago on Monday. Woodridge-based Pabst Brewing Co. has recreated the original formula for the beer, which was a top seller nationwide in the 1970s before it was reformulated. The recreated beer will be sold in brown longneck bottles and labels noting the “Classic 1960s formula.”
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=28852&seenIt=1

I am just now reading this and I was thinking "boy, I hope this was written on April Fool's Day" and then I saw it was. hah!

Back