This can't be legal...

<snip>
There are more unlicensed pilots in the US than you can possibly imagine. Not everyone is scared of the government.

I am sorry to say that I think you are definitely correct. I was visiting a control tower once, and was talking to them about the pilots that are based at the field, and they say they have many people hangared there that they suspect do not have a pilots license. They said they often wait until the tower closes (part time) to take off and that it was not their job to police them in that manner.

I am sorry to say that I think you are definitely correct. I was visiting a control tower once, and was talking to them about the pilots that are based at the field, and they say they have many people hangared there that they suspect do not have a pilots license. They said they often wait until the tower closes (part time) to take off and that it was not their job to police them in that manner.
doesn't make any sense to me. How does a tower controller even know who is on the other end of the radio much less if they have a license or not ?

doesn't make any sense to me. How does a tower controller even know who is on the other end of the radio much less if they have a license or not ?

:dunno: beats me. Just repeating what was told to me.

Shouldn't this post go in the "Pilot Training" forum?

That "issue" existing back when I started my PPL and got my license... X04, was called Orlando Country back then.. Small town of Apopka Fla,, it went under a few times and on two occasions there were 4 of us to were approached by the bank to buy/run the airport till they could liquidate it off their books..

About once every year or so we had a "fix the potholes /BBQ".. back then there was around 35-40 planes based there.. We had a great turnout of based owners on Saturday and after fixing the potholes and mowing the grounds the BBQ started later in the afternoon.. I would guess there was 30+ people there..... Well , after about the second round of beer out of the keg, the guys started loosening up and the topic came up about PPL's, or ANY license for that matter.. That is when it became clear only me, and B J Allison and Jerry C. actually had a license... All the rest of the guys never had one.. and the guys who were not there had friends who were and they knew the status of the absent owners... So doing the math.. that was 3 out of 40 who were legal....:yikes::eek:.... ..

It was a GREAT little airport to learn and hang out at though..:yes::wink2::wink2::)

LOL Ron, why do you think people call me and pay my rate? Because I'll take the jobs others won't. Most people just want the job done. The two things you learn early on running boats at sea is that failure is not an option and the only inviolable rules are those set by nature.

Maybe this: If you know the tail number of planes that are hangared at the airport, and you look up their registrations, you're going to find some that are registered in the name of an individual. Then you look for that individual's name in the airman's database, what do you think if it's not there? Do you suspect that some of those unlicensed persons are flying their planes? :dunno:

Maybe this: If you know the tail number of planes that are hangared at the airport, and you look up their registrations, you're going to find some that are registered in the name of an individual. Then you look for that individual's name in the airman's database, what do you think if it's not there? Do you suspect that some of those unlicensed persons are flying their planes? :dunno:
I don't suspect anything. I never joined the hitler youth movement so I'm not trying to check up on my neighbors. I just say hi to them and invite them down to my hangar for a cup of coffee or to borrow some tools.

Yes, I know that. I was judging heights relative to other objects on the ground. The viewing angle when the Bonanza was over the Bay Bridge and the City was pretty shallow.

See, that's just the thing. It's not one of those "this guy is dangerous and I need to turn him in" kind of thing, more of a "this is a stupid area to do this in and by the way it doesn't help the image of GA either."

But everyone goes down to the Bay to watch the Blues do the same thing every Fleet Week . . . perhaps training might be a bit different - but you don't really know that -

But everyone goes down to the Bay to watch the Blues do the same thing every Fleet Week . . . perhaps training might be a bit different - but you don't really know that -

Completely not the point. We are talking about regulatory compliance, not safety or training. With maybe one notable instance, I'm pretty sure the Blue Angels don't actively bust the regs under which they are bound.

Now now, yes there are a lot of ga people, especially in the Castro district....

Lots of GA pilots in SF, I used to number among them. Biggest advantage is that SF is the only county in CA that doesn't come after you for property tax on the plane.

But why do you say especially in the Castro?

Paul

Completely not the point. We are talking about regulatory compliance, not safety or training. With maybe one notable instance, I'm pretty sure the Blue Angels don't actively bust the regs under which they are bound.
There are several Navy flying regulations for which the Blues have waivers, but they are quite careful to stay within the terms of those waivers. In addition, at air shows, they operate under the terms of the FAA waiver for that show, and are monitored not only by Navy personnel but also the FAA Inspector assigned to surveill that show.

Lots of GA pilots in SF, I used to number among them. Biggest advantage is that SF is the only county in CA that doesn't come after you for property tax on the plane.

But why do you say especially in the Castro?

Paul

Likely a play on words with GA spoken as gay, and if that reference is lost on you, you lived a sheltered life in SF...:rofl:;) There's a guy on here whose Tenderloin phone signs his posts "sent from Tenderloin' always gives me a chuckle as I envision a junkie pimp posting away....:lol:

I guess they do that because I think SF county is the only county in California that doesn't have an airport.

I guess they do that because I think SF county is the only county in California that doesn't have an airport.

San Francisco City and County includes multiple sites not north of Daly Blvd. One of those is KSFO. There are others related to the water system.

Is that an admission that illegal flying isn't unsafe?;)

Back